Favorite guitar ... you've owned for more than 20 years

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gulliver, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

1. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Post ...

Year/make/model
    :
    Mid '90s PRS Custom 24
    Years you've owned it:
    Purchase price (new or used):
    $1300 (minty) used ... still minty
    Preference number:
    #3 (I prefer Stats)
    Mods:
    Swapped pickups ... some day I'll put those bezel screws back in
    Nickname (if any):
    None ... but sometimes "Mark's guitar", as I bought it from my old friend Mark
    Pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Mike Duncan, Kentano2000, djw and 8 others like this.
  2. jpurcell

jpurcell Member

48 years.
    1968 Gibson 335. Bought it in 1971/72 from a guy in a three piece band from Ohio called Stop. They were traveling in Fl. and I ran into them in Sarasota.
    I bought the guitar and case for $300. Still a lot of money at the time.
    Been playing a Telecaster for quite a few years so the 335 mainly gets used at home. It doesn't see a lot of gigs anymore.

Alter, ripgtr, djw and 6 others like this.
  3. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Supporting Member

My 1993 62AVRI Strat with Abigail Ybarra wound pickups.

[​IMG]

4. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

It's heading to 20 years soon. I bought an American deluxe strat in 2002 from GC with my a paycheck I had from working my first real job freshman year of college. I changed the pickups in 2008 and I have no intention to do anymore mods. It's a player. Sentimental value and all.

Sean C., gulliver and tnvol like this.
  5. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

Just checking into this thread to see who on TGP might’ve actually owned any particular guitar more than 20 years!

6. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I bought this Les Paul Custom in 1989. Was my first good guitar.

[​IMG]

Mike Duncan, RussB, ptgold and 8 others like this.
  7. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Not my favorite guitar, but I've had my acoustic for 21 years. It's a MIK Fender DG-8 that my parents bought new for me when I was 10.
    I'll post a pic later, having trouble trying to use Imgur from my phone.

Sean C., tnvol and gulliver like this.
  8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

both of my acoustics: one is an alvarez parlor guitar and a hohner dreadnought styled guitar, have had both of them for over 20 years, the parlor guitar i've had since the mid-80s....
    the neck on my main guitar (in my sig) is almost 20 years old, it's in it's 3rd iteration of a guitar....

9. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

1979 Gibson LP Standard tobacco. Bought it new in 1979 when I was 17. I think it cost around $700. 40 years ago. This is far and away my favorite guitar of all time.

I still have my first guitar-a 1976 Japanese Sigma DR-35(Martin D-35 copy). Bought that one new when I was 14. $350? 43 years ago.

I have a Fender Stratocaster that I bought in the mid 90's that qualifies as well. I think it is a 1996. $700? 23 years.

I think that is it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    Nath@n, Switters, muzishun and 4 others like this.
  10. Winterwind

Winterwind Member

I have two guitars I've had that long.

My 20 year old MIK Sheraton II and my first ever guitar is an MIJ Sigma DR-7 from back when it was still a Martin line. My grandparents bought it for me when I was a kid. I think it was '86.

11. Gclef

Gclef Member

My faves are only a year or so old.
    Ltd ec401v
    Revstar rs502t
    Ibanez as73g

My oldest are 19.
    Warmoth tele
    Ibanez rg520qs
    Carvin h2 holdsworth

Out of these 3? That's a tough call.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM
  12. Otter351

Otter351 Member

[​IMG]
    1990 ESP Kamikaze: Purchased new in '90
    1991 PRS Custom 24: Purchased new in '91
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom: Purchased used in '95

All 100% original which is actually amazing for me

**edit** Not shown, mid-80s Fender Contemporary Strat which was my first electric, purchased used in 1986

13. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

65 345. Purchased in 72 for (I think) 200.00.
    58 LP Special I’ve had it since 1980 it was gifted to me by one of my friends.

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

My first (of many!) Cunetto Relics; bought the ‘nocaster in ‘97 and the Strat in ‘98 and they cured me of my want for a vintage Tele and Strat

[​IMG]

THIS....is my #1, my first Les Paul, she’s an ‘88 Standard I picked up (barely) used in 1991; we’ve played a ton of gigs, she stays in tune all night long, she’s a bit porky (10.1lbs) but that doesn’t bother me one bit and she sounds awesome.
    The p/ups have been in for 20yrs, I forgot what they are, either Gibson or Duncan.

[​IMG]

15. BillyBoyFenderBender

BillyBoyFenderBender Member

Oldest owned guitar is my see-thru teal green american deluxe strat bought new in 2001 for £999
    Gigged the arse out of it and it is still a great guitar with superb feeling neck - probably needs a re-fret soon !!!!
    Ripped out the noiseless pickups and then replaced with dimarzio area's - more recently have gone back to proper hand-wound single coils from Radioshop (excellent guys) with a blender knob to give tele-like tones alongside the normal 5 way strat tones

16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Left to right
    73 Tele bass, owned since 79 Last place- it’s a great thumping bass, but I’m a rudimentary bass player at best.
    94 Les Paul, tied for 2d bought used in 1998
    93 hamer special 3D place
    94 Strat tied for 2d, bought new

#1 78 Tele, owned since 1981. Awesome rocking Tele. Weighs a ton, sounds like it too. Big and ringing tone.

Dobro May be 20 years old too, I think. At least 15 anyway. I love that thing, but it’s more for me, just playing for my own enjoyment.

No nicknames though...

I’m sure it doesn’t count in this thread but I bought the 1968 Bandmaster reverb in 1974!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM
  17. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

That tele has the absolute perfect amount of wear on it for a relic. I can see why that quenched your vintage thirst!

67blackcherry and gulliver like this.
  18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

73 Tele. (Neck date Dec 72). Don't remember the exact year I got it, right around 1986. My buddy and eventual best man at my wedding had found it in a pawn shop in an out of the way little town, passed through a year later and it was still there, and he bought it. Sold it to me when he was trying to raise money for a Les Paul. Played it at my wedding. My friend passed on in the 90s. Obviously a lot of sentimental attachment, something I don't have much of usually for guitars. My wife says it's the one guitar I can never sell.

[​IMG]

As for the rocking chair my mom, who died four years ago at 89, said her father rocked her in it when she was a baby.

19. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

83 Strat Elite, bought it in 1993. This was my primary player and still my go-to, except when playing my...
    87 American Standard Strat (with EMG SA/SPC) bought it in early 1994 and installed the EMGs in mid 1994.

78 Strat, bought in 1980. It's not a favorite player, but an emotional favorite.
    69 Strat, bought in 1992. Amazing.

I also have a 72 Jazz Bass I got in 1993 that I still love and play, as well as a 1997 US Deluxe Jazz V that I bought new in early 98 that sees a lot of play time.

ntotoro, Badstrat, Sean C. and 2 others like this.
  20. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I had 3 different guitars for more than 20 years... my Dad's old Stella, a "plastic" beginner guitar I got when I was 5, and my `81 Ibanez Blazer (my 1st "new" electric)

But none of them are my favorite, so....