• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Klon Klone 2021 Edition

Unadan

Yep, it's time for another "favorite Klone" thread :waiting
Mostly interested in hearing from guys who have tried many and found a keeper.
Doesn't necessarily have to be the most accurate to the original tone wise.
If you have tried more than 10, please let us know as your choice obviously holds a little more weight.

My favorites (so far):

Archer Ikon
Wampler Tumnus (mini)
Way Huge Conspiracy Theory

Interested in: Sugar Drive, RYRA, and Golden Horse.

Yr Blues

I'm on the fence of getting a Silver Pony kit so I can experiment with some parts and not be beholden to any one build. But there are some other overdrives that I might get before it.

txrsm

Of the few I have owned, the ones that stood out most for me were the Wampler Tumnus and Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. These two worked best with my rig (SSS strat, blackface style amp, tube screamer of some sort) and the music I played (classic rock and blues w a little country).

Others I had tried were EHX Soul Food, The Archer, and a couple more whose names I've since forgotten. Keep in mind though...I have never played a real Klon. The closest would be a Klon KTR but even then, it was only at a jam session and for one song.

Yr Blues

Pedal Monsters would be the one I'd order if I didn't want to be bothered with building a kit.

chrisr777

Of the few I have owned, the ones that stood out most for me were the Wampler Tumnus and Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. These two worked best with my rig (SSS strat, blackface style amp, tube screamer of some sort) and the music I played (classic rock and blues w a little country).

Others I had tried were EHX Soul Food, The Archer, and a couple more whose names I've since forgotten. Keep in mind though...I have never played a real Klon. The closest would be a Klon KTR but even then, it was only at a jam session and for one song.
A KTR is a real Klon. As far as I know, the box does not have anything to do with tone. Which, I guess, makes the KTR the best Klon Klone.

Yr Blues

A KTR is a real Klon. As far as I know, the box does not have anything to do with tone. Which, I guess, makes the KTR the best Klon Klone.
The manufacturing process does make a difference, but I doubt the margins are larger than the margins for the part values.

txrsm

Apologies...I should clarify my prior statement, I have never played an "original now mythical Klon overdrive pedal." I've seen an original silver one for sale locally but don't have the chops to even try it out in a store lol.

I've only had the opportunity to play through the modern Klon KTR at a jam session for one song so not really a good judge of its sonic capabilities but I mean it did what I wanted it to do and sounded really nice! lol

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Not to derail the thread but these two shootouts were actually interesting to me.

I’ve owned about 10 Klones and my favorite is still the Circuitrider Fx one that I bought from a TGP guy (named Guy) who built them in his basement for a few years.

I am tempted to buy a mini from TGP’s @pickdropper who is also a guru at:

...and whose other mini creations sometimes wind up discussed here:

-bEn r.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Well I do not quite qualify as I only have one Klon clone but I really love it. I got the RYRA Klone and I am using it as a boost/sweetener and/or to push other overdrive pedals and it delivers in such a beautiful way. I had tried graphic eq pedals and preamp pedals to do the same thing but this one has something magic to it. I have the gain almost all the way to zero, maybe on 1 or so, the tone most of the way down, and the volume up enough so that it is an audible but not drastic volume boost from bypassed and this one setting serves both functions of clean sweetener and boost fattener for my drive pedals. The drive pedals it is pushing is a brownface deluxe by lovepedal and a Harlot V1 by kingsley. It breathes fire into both of those. I LOVE IT!

modal-wool

Silver Supporting Member
I built a BYOC Silver Pony and it sounds good to me. Lots of parts but pretty easy build. My kit was actually missing the charge pump chip (TC1044S? I think) so I had to order one from mouser.

Decided the Klon thing wasn't for me, they sound great, but a bit too compressed and "processed" for my taste...I definitely didn't think it was transparent. I do kind of want to try a Tumnus though, that extra low end is actually pretty cool in demos. They sound thick and smooth. And man, the RYRA's look cool.

prsjcm

Ceriatone Centura and Wampler Tumnus are my favorites. I prefer the sound of the Centura. But the size of the Tumnus can't be beat and it sounds killer.

A-Mags

Silver Supporting Member
The JHS Klone from back in the day is dead on. Glad I still have it but the Ceriatone is close and very pleasant

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Owned a bunch of Klones...still own too many. My Klon KTR is still my fave. The current one on my board is a Mythos Mjolnir Wildwood Edition. It’s slightly different, but sounds killer in its own right.

I feel like they are all a little different. Either the mids are in a slightly different place, or the compression is different, etc. I suggest that people try a few and see what they like. For example, the Tumnus has a bass boost, which doesn’t work for some people and their rigs, but it’s magic for other people and other rigs. It just depends on what you are playing (amp/guitar) and what you need out of the pedal.

thekeefus

Silver Supporting Member
I never end up keeping Klon style pedals but of the ones I've played through the years...

1. Rimrock MO
2. Mike Skinner Klone
3. Mick Side of the D&M
4. Tumnus Deluxe
5. Archer Ikon
6. Sick As

I'm still tempted by a RYRA even though I never click with klons

Stratburst70

I have tried a few: Tumnus Deluxe, Ryra, Soul Food, Sugar Drive, etc.

I currently have two favourite Klones: the Conspiracy Theory and the Mick side of the D&M Drive.

I prefer my Green Rhino MkII or Red Dirt with my Strats, I use the CT and D&M Drive more with humbuckers.

cosmic_rust

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the Wampler Tumnus (both mini and Deluxe) Rimrock Mythical Overdrive, J. Rockett Archer (silver version), EHX Soul Food, Keeley Oxblood, and Decebelics Golden Horse. Didn't really bond with the Tumnus or Oxblood, hated the Soul Food. Liked the Mythical Overdrive but found it unusably loud past 9-10 o'clock on the level knob, which was a shame because it was otherwise my second-place favorite. I thought the Archer was great and at a very fair price point-- solid all around. However, the Decebelics Golden Horse ran circles around all of them. It was sonically the best by far, the best built, and all in a nano package. The builder really goes above and beyond, too, with great customer service. I have a buddy with an original Klon and they sound dead even to my ears (he's still in denial though haha). YMMV. Cheers!

Trending Topics