• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Klon Klone 2021 Edition

bromac

Silver Supporting Member
Was surprised to hear so much love for the mini Tumnus. I love Wampler pedals, own several including this one but to be honest, it's a bit of a snoozer to me. I use it, and while it has it's place at times, I find it a bit boring. This is off topic, but if you want a kick ass distortion pedal, get a Wampler Dracary's. Damn dude. One of my favorite pedals for the dirty/heavy stuff. Have fun.

vtbrsi

Will probably sound odd given the number of options on the market, but having considered getting a Klone for a number of years I still haven't quite found one that quite meets my requirements:
- Not too small (mini pedal) or too big. Standard size "portrait" orientation preferred.
- Is reasonable price (<£130). 2nd hand is fine.
- Is easily available in UK
- Looks cool
- Universal acclaim (within reason)

Closest seem to be Archer and Frederic Effects Golden Eagle. Am I missing something?

Perhaps I'm just happy with the other ODs I have. But would like to try one one day!

Last edited:

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
My beef with "what klone is best?" comes down to the presumption that the original Klon was actually the best design. Half of people will get a Klone and love their tone and the other half will be obsessed with how close it is to the original. Like IDGAF if my homecooked steak tastes exactly like Ruth's Chris (it might even be better).

Further...some people use a Klon just as a clean boost to push an amp and some use it for the overdriven gainy tones, so who of these people are recommending the "best"? I have noticed some designs are a little inarticulate (a little too congested in the lower mids) as you bring on the "GAIN" but do well as just a boost.

Swijak

I have three:
  • Keeley Oxblood: A modified version with more gain and other options.
  • JRAD Archer IKON: I really like this on with gain at 3:00 and bridge pickup.
  • EHX Soul Food: I like this best as a clean(ish) boost with gain on 9:00 and treble just past noon.
The Oxblood sees more use these days due to it's versatility but I could happily gig with any of three.

I'd like to try a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe or JRAD Rockaway Archer to see what an expanded EQ set will do to the sounds.

Cragar

Silver Supporting Member
pretty happy with my way huge conspiracy theory, though i haven't had the opportunity to compare it to a bunch of klones. i use it mostly for brightening, boosting and adding a bit of grit and jangle.

analogic

The Centura sounded right to my ears so I went with that, but I’m not too fussy about how faithfully it recreates the Klon.

NickAudette

Depends what you want from it. If you are mainly using as clean boost or as a boost to drive, or as a regular ol overdrive.

One I haven't seen mentioned is the Matthew effects architect. It is klon themed with three band EQ and clipping options. I have the v2 but the v3 has an independent boost with it. Might be worth checking out. I like it more than my memory of my Archer and mythical od.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Love Klon Clones.
Been through countless builds.

My favorites are (in order) -

#1) Decibels Golden Horse
#2) Arc Effects Klone
#3) Ceriatone Centura
$4) Archer

Least favorites -

- Soul Food
- Rimrock
- Ryra
- KTR

JDthaddeus

no-skill zero-talent guitarist and eternal student
Silver Supporting Member
Not to derail the thread but these two shootouts were actually interesting to me.

I’ve owned about 10 Klones and my favorite is still the Circuitrider Fx one that I bought from a TGP guy (named Guy) who built them in his basement for a few years.

I am tempted to buy a mini from TGP’s @pickdropper who is also a guru at:

...and whose other mini creations sometimes wind up discussed here:

-bEn r.
Thanks for the heads up, I never heard of this pedal.

Gary Ladd

Illegitimi non carborundum
Silver Supporting Member
My beef with "what klone is best?" comes down to the presumption that the original Klon was actually the best design. Half of people will get a Klone and love their tone and the other half will be obsessed with how close it is to the original. Like IDGAF if my homecooked steak tastes exactly like Ruth's Chris (it might even be better).

Further...some people use a Klon just as a clean boost to push an amp and some use it for the overdriven gainy tones, so who of these people are recommending the "best"? I have noticed some designs are a little inarticulate (a little too congested in the lower mids) as you bring on the "GAIN" but do well as just a boost.
Actually there are at least four (4) catagories:

1> Which Klone do you like because it's the most like the Klon/KTR...

2> Which Klone do you like best for clean boost...

3> Which Klone do you like best for overdriven gainy tones...

4> Which Klone, do to herd popularity, is your current fanboie favorite...

I see categories (2) & (3) as being the most dominate, closely followed by 4 :rotflmao

Category (1) is mostly unused as people that actually own a Klon/KTR generally don't care about Klone threads, and if they do their interest in Klones truthfully falls into category (2) or (3), as from my experience actual Klon/KTR owners don't actually use/like Klons/KTRs for their full gain range...

your name here

Gold Supporting Member
I am tempted to buy a mini from TGP’s @pickdropper who is also a guru at:

...and whose other mini creations sometimes wind up discussed here:

-bEn r.
I have one of his minis. Sounds great and is close enough to the gold horsey Klon I had a few months back. They aren’t different enough that I could pick one or the other in a blind test.

ErichA

Silver Supporting Member
I like my Archer Ikon. I use it a couple ways.
1) As a gritty boost into my clean machine Ampeg Gemini (15” EV speaker) really helps boost volume and add texture.
2) For recording DI to add amp-like qualities and a hint of grit to avoid annoyingly superclean DI tone.
3) Every so often (but in the near future, much more often) to add boost and texture (with a hint of warmth and smoothness) to my THD Bivalve 30 (1x12” G12K-85)

It’s a useful tool.

Trending Topics