• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Klon Klone 2021 Edition

emjee

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a KTR off a local CL ad. Guy was a jerk and I paid over 600 for it, but I'm glad I got it.

Mtt02263

Silver Supporting Member
I have a silver Klon I got in 2009, so I'm lucky to be able to directly compare clones with the real deal.

I played a KTR for a little bit, it did NOT sound like my Centaur. I don't know how much variance there is, but it didn't sound like my original Klon and it felt cheap as far as build quality goes.

The Mythical Overdrive set a new standard for me when I got it, it was probably 85-90% of the way towards my Klon, but with a little harder edge to the breakup and less top end sparkle and snap.

The Ceriatone Centura is the absolute best klone I've tried bar none, it sounds EXACTLY like my Klon. With a blind A/B test, I can't pick them apart.

I actually just sent my MO back to Rimrock to have it modded to Vintage Spec, I'm very interested to see how it changes and if it can get closer.

emjee

Silver Supporting Member
I've been playing my KTR since I got it last night, and I really do like it. I might try a Decibelics too just for giggles.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of the Ceriatone Horse Breaker. There's some love for the Ceriatone Centura in this thread, the Horse Breaker is the Centura plus a Bluesbreaker clone in the same pedal, for the same price. Crazy value, and it sounds great. The Centura side on its own is fantastic and would justify the cost of admission, but stacking the BB on top of that is just delightful. I'm playing through an Orange Tiny Terror that I don't particularly like, but it sounds fantastic with this pedal.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve owned my KTR for a few years and there’s something special about how it pushes amps (and other pedals) as a lead boost. It seems to add just the right thing I like, but nothing I dislike.

With prices rising on the KTR I started thinking maybe I should put it away and use one of the many klones, so I started borrowing a few from friends to compare. So far nothing I’ve tried gets close enough for me to put the KTR on the shelf.:confused:

JDthaddeus

no-skill zero-talent guitarist and eternal student
Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of the Ceriatone Horse Breaker. There's some love for the Ceriatone Centura in this thread, the Horse Breaker is the Centura plus a Bluesbreaker clone in the same pedal, for the same price. Crazy value, and it sounds great. The Centura side on its own is fantastic and would justify the cost of admission, but stacking the BB on top of that is just delightful. I'm playing through an Orange Tiny Terror that I don't particularly like, but it sounds fantastic with this pedal.
You sold me! I'm intrigued! Does the Centura side sound exactly like the regularCentura? Because I've been wanting to try a Centura but now I must have the HorseBreaker !

bigben55

I bought my first pedal in 1989, and in the decades since, thru loads of dirt pedals, ive never had a Klone. Ive bought 2 this year. And I use them differently, into different amps, on different boards.

First is the Wilson Effects Angry Goat. Its a unique dual OD, A Klone into a Dumble type OD. I use the Klone side as my lead boost into an already crunching Dr Z Remedy.

The other is a Matthew Effects Architect v2. I use this AS my overdriven tone into an amp set at the earliest edge of breakup. And I use a fulltone Fat Boost3 going into it as my lead boost.

One I haven't seen mentioned is the Matthew effects architect. It is klon themed with three band EQ and clipping options. I have the v2 but the v3 has an independent boost with it. Might be worth checking out. I like it more than my memory of my Archer and mythical od.
I really dig the Architect v2. I would really like it if even it was never billed to be "klon inspired." Its a great sounding overdrive. I dont know how "klon-like" it is or isn't, and i think that seems to be a measuring point to many. How close to a real klon is it built, does it sound? I, for one, do not care! If it sounds good, and does what I want it to, it IS good! And I think the Architectv2 IS good, very good.

The Angry Goat is also IMO VERY good. Its super versatile, both sides sound great. I played a Mythical Overdrive not too long ago and it too is a great pedal.

NickAudette

I bought my first pedal in 1989, and in the decades since, thru loads of dirt pedals, ive never had a Klone. Ive bought 2 this year. And I use them differently, into different amps, on different boards.

First is the Wilson Effects Angry Goat. Its a unique dual OD, A Klone into a Dumble type OD. I use the Klone side as my lead boost into an already crunching Dr Z Remedy.

The other is a Matthew Effects Architect v2. I use this AS my overdriven tone into an amp set at the earliest edge of breakup. And I use a fulltone Fat Boost3 going into it as my lead boost.

I really dig the Architect v2. I would really like it if even it was never billed to be "klon inspired." Its a great sounding overdrive. I dont know how "klon-like" it is or isn't, and i think that seems to be a measuring point to many. How close to a real klon is it built, does it sound? I, for one, do not care! If it sounds good, and does what I want it to, it IS good! And I think the Architectv2 IS good, very good.

The Angry Goat is also IMO VERY good. Its super versatile, both sides sound great. I played a Mythical Overdrive not too long ago and it too is a great pedal.
Agreed. I don't care how close it sounds to a real klon, just does it sound good.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
You sold me! I'm intrigued! Does the Centura side sound exactly like the regularCentura? Because I've been wanting to try a Centura but now I must have the HorseBreaker !
Awesome, you’ll love it. Makes my poor little tiny terror sound like a beautifully pushed amp. I am not an expert in the Klone game so cannot compare from direct experience, but it sounds great. Playing through the neck pickup of a strat with high clean boosts and no gain, I hear that SRV screaming amp type of tone.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
My favorites so far:

Awesome:

Mythos Mjolnir Wildwood Edition - sounds fantastic
Rimrock Mythical D9E - chip - The best configuration for the Rimrock's I've tried.
Nordvang '83 drive - channel B side is their version of the "K" pedal.
Klon KTR

Great:
Rimrock Mythical Vintage Spec version - a little too "boomy" for my taste and I prefer the D9E chip more.
Ceriatone Centura Professional Overdrive.
U-Sound Alpha Centauri.

EL34

Gold Supporting Member
That Mjolnir WW edition is fantastic. That’s coming from a guy who’s owned 3 Centaurs and 2 KTRs.

Last edited:

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I did an A-B comparison of my PCE Aluminum Falcon V1 and a real silver Klon and couldn’t tell the difference.

Tone chader

For me, the J Rockett Archer pedal is just fabulous in front of a tweed amp. It's my fave sound right now. I love it jumping an overdriven tweed, just goosing a slightly broken up tweed, or just giving a clean tweed more balls. It's always a winner in that combo.

Trending Topics