• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Klon Klone 2021 Edition

destructo

Silver Supporting Member
Rimrock effects Lil Mo (compact mythical overdrive), and Decibelics Golden Royale (amazing dual klone awesomeness)

UncleBucket

I’ve tried the KRT, Archers, RYRA, Rimrock Mythical OD, WH Conspiracy Theory, Tumnus, and now own the Studio Daydream Silver KCM v10. Each had nuances, the parts tolerances could explain some of that. I’d like to try the Wildwood Mjolnir and Centura, but the Studio Daydream fits my rig very well.

**never lucky enough to play a Centaur.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
I gave a fairly nondescript answer earlier in the thread. Below I’ll give a sort of breakdown of the ones I still own, or have previously owned. The one I still really want to try is the Centura.

LOVED
KTR - probably still my favorite

Mythos Mjolnir WW Edition - VERY good on a range of settings. Have this one on my board currently.

Mythical OD VS - great with certain amps. Killer clean boost. Can be a little boomy in the low mids with certain amps.

LIKED:
Rocket Archer - love the size. Sounds good, just don’t like it as much as the above listed.

EH Soulfood - not a perfect Klon clone, but I actually like it as a boost in front of other drives. I just don’t think of it as being a Klon replacement and think of it as its own thing.

Tumnus Deluxe - this one is interesting. Very cool pedal with the super versatile EQ. However - I couldn’t get it to punch like the KTR or Mjolnir. Just isn’t the same
tone. But similar to the Soul Food, if I don’t think of it as a Klone, it’s super usable in its own right.

Disliked
Sugar Drive - dislike is probably a strong word. I really wanted to love this one, but it just wasn’t for me. There was something about the placement of the mids that I couldn’t get around. A lot of people love this pedal, but with my rig it wasn’t what I was after.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Got a 90s gold Centaur. Bought new for $239 straight from Finnegan. Got a KTR. These two can sound and respond pretty much the same, just have to move the knobs a little to match em up. The KTR is on a board.

Got a NUX Horseman. Maybe more low mids. The option to switch to the boost (silver) adds nice flexibility. The NUX is on a board.

Got a Sugar Drive. More presence, less low mids. Good boost in its own right but less like the Centaur that the others. Not on a board now.

Aion Refractor. I am on a kit build bender and put this one together recently. The parts are correct including diodes. At least as correct as they can be. And top quality. Sounds about the same as the Centaur and the KTR, with knob adjustment. It is on a board.

Based on form factor and sound, I'm good with the Refractor. If you can build, it is a good way to go for less than a bill. My experience is they all can get it done.

BenTobith

Boba Mosfett
Platinum Supporting Member
Past:
  • Wampler Tumnus Deluxe
  • Klon KTR
  • RYRA The Klone

Current/Forever:
  • Decibelics Golden Horse
  • Decibelics Big Silver Klone

whackystrings

Just bought an Archer Ikon. When a local store received a shipment of J Rockett and this came up in their news feed, I snagged one. There are others I had my eye on but this seems to have everything I need. I have a first-run BYOC Silver Pony that is pretty decent but I enjoy the Ikon much more. Last year, I tried the Sugar Drive but returned it the next day.

flare4roach

I had an original silver Klon back in the day right before folks turned it into something mythical (and expensive). I was very pumped to get it but once the GAS buzz wore off after a few days and I really listened to my rig, I just didn't think it just wasn't the be all, end all pedal for me. It was tasty but just didn't have the magical boost presence that my amp really needed. I sold it pretty quickly for a little profit and moved on. Since then I've changed amps and I've snagged a few clones since then for boosters and they do the job. In hindsight, I wish I had kept the Pedal Monsters I got for $50 but I just don't pine for an original Klon. It was cool but not THOUSANDS of dollars cool. Now I see where even the clones are getting up there. Wow.

Unadan

Just ordered the Decibelics Golden Horse (in Green) earlier today. Looking forward to it.

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
I actually really like my Tumnus Deluxe.
The EQ controls are just amazing.
I have never really felt the need to look for another Klon clone since I got it.

Thoughtpolice

Have the RYRA but find it rolls off so much treble that I find it ultimately unusual. I almost wonder if I got a bad unit?

Mtt02263

Silver Supporting Member
My Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec is now extremely close to the Centura. They can sound almost identical depending on how they're set, but the MO seems to have more gain on tap, or at least set where you have to push higher on the Centura. I prefer the gain taper on the Centura as I can get it very clean or just a touch of grit, whereas I run the MO with the gain typically below 9 o'clock. In general, I find the Centura to be just a touch firmer and crisper on top, I mean maybe a 2-3% difference, however, it is preferable for me. The MO has just the slightest bit more squash and compression with slightly more grit. The Centura remains the best Klone I've tried, but I do need to get a Decibelics at some point.

John Quinn

It's obvious that none of the pedals reign supreme over the others - and since 90% of you have never had a real Klon - it makes the choice of pedal totally random.

It's nice to see all the choices though - I mean it's plethora of goodness to chose from - and you can't go wrong.

Salfordlad

I've just ordered one for my mini pedalboard (for parties & jams). The Mosky Golden Horse is the Klon cult's methadone.
I should be getting the Silver Horse today... I recently got the Gokko Sonic Flame which is the same as the Caline Pegasus. Absolutely killer pedal for $25. Might be getting a used J Rockett Archer today...

Gary Ladd

Illegitimi non carborundum
Silver Supporting Member
My Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec is now extremely close to the Centura. They can sound almost identical depending on how they're set, but the MO seems to have more gain on tap, or at least set where you have to push higher on the Centura. I prefer the gain taper on the Centura as I can get it very clean or just a touch of grit, whereas I run the MO with the gain typically below 9 o'clock. In general, I find the Centura to be just a touch firmer and crisper on top, I mean maybe a 2-3% difference, however, it is preferable for me. The MO has just the slightest bit more squash and compression with slightly more grit. The Centura remains the best Klone I've tried, but I do need to get a Decibelics at some point.
That would make sense as the MO VS is not meant to be an exact klone, but a modernized klone with increased/improved gain ;)

Trending Topics