favorite lead guitar solo from new VH record is

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by the fat one, Feb 24, 2012.

1. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

much of the record is in my head. I've been having trouble hearing a lot of the actual music on it from a musician's standpoint. It's all too "right". The "solos" are too "correct" to hear in real time, so it's only when I'm getting groceries or I'm at the bank, and a phrase runs through my head, and I realize how it transitions into the next phrase and how they fit within the context of the whole lead break, and only then, without the music actually playing to keep sweeping me along can I somehow really appreciate them. I have one in my head right now, and I'm not even really sure which song it's from! She's the Woman, I think. There are so many, and so many little fills, and Edward's gotten better, a lot better. It's still Honey-sweetie for me, though. That whole Honey-sweetie-pie song is just incredible to me.

2. Lance

Lance Member

She's the Woman is my favorite. The phrasing of what he plays over those changes is exactly what I would go for if I were trying to come up with something...only better. He is EVH after all.

3. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Agreed 100%, I LOVE the fact that he stepped out of his box on that track with the sustainer & whammy. Actually I love everything about it.

As far as best solo, it's too damn hard to pick one, the album's full of killer solos.

4. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Honeybabiesweetiedoll

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    yeah, I'm still sorting it out. I wake up at night with the songs circling my head. At first I was disappointed wanting some more VHII, but now I'm really liking the new vibe. Honeybabysp is probably my fav off the top of my head.

6. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

My absolute favorite Eddie moment on this album is the solo from Big River. Complete and total ass kicking. EVH is back in a big way.

7. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

My favorite is the short full he does after the first verse on She's The Woman. It's the same phrase he plays on the ancient demo and I've loved it for years. So happy he played it on the new one. Told my wife earlier that it gives me chills

8. Bankston

Bankston Member

Honeybabysweetiedoll for sure.

King Edward is back.

9. pvwolfgang

pvwolfgang Member

10. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I keep gravitating toward Chinatown because the riffs sound pretty heavy and it makes the entire track sound badass.

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

If you are referring to the actual lead in the song I'd have to go with the one on "She's the Woman". Its a no nonsense lead very well constructed and executed. Great phrasing and none of the typical Ed rubbish. Most of the solos are nothing spectacular. Probably my second favorite is Tattoo. Though Ed is playing better then he has in some years I just don't get excited watching him anymore. The band sounds great and that's what matters most. Ed was hypnotizing in the 80's. Those days are long gone. In fact I don't excited watching anyone play anymore.

12. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

TGP: Where even the most *awesome* things instantly become tired and meh, categorized and shelved.

13. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

The leads are all top-flight in my book, but what really has me going are some of the riff-work and rhythm on songs like Big River, and Beats Workin'.

14. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

If I had to pick one, I'd say Stay Frosty. In the first one, I love the end of the solo where he's doing single string tapped harmonic. Yeah, it's a really old over used EVH lick, but right there in the end of the solo wraps it all up and resolves that entire section of the song in a huge way.

That is to say, if I HAD to pick one. Lots of cool moments on this cd.

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I know what one you're talking about. It's such a classic VH lick.

16. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

Chinatown keeps popping up in my head...I love how he enters it and from then on, it's just old Eddie blazing away \m/