Favorite MAC compatible DAW for new newbies

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Matt P, Jan 29, 2016.

Favorite DAW

1. Garage Band

25.9%
  2. Logic

44.8%
  3. Presonus

6.9%
  4. Cubase

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cakewalk

1.7%
  6. Pro tools

5.2%
  7. MOTU

1.7%
  8. Ableton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

1.7%
  10. Reaper

12.1%
  1. Matt P

Matt P Member

I want to start recording at home and I've already got most of the hardware, amps, mics just need a good interface under 1,000. But where I'm lost is DAW it seems most of them require an engineering degree just to turn it on. I'd like to hear what the community thinks is the best for primarily recording stereo guitar....mac compatible. I plan on mic' the amps and using my pedalboard, not really interesting in VST at this time

2. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Member

GarageBand is stupidly simple--almost like a toy, even--but will allow you to get familiar with recording, editing, plug-ins, etc. You can upgrade to Logic and import your GB stuff without hassle. There are differing opinions on Logic compared to other DAWs, but I've found the Apple stuff intuitive and reliable. You can also import recordings from your iPhone or iPad into your Mac.

YMMV

3. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

You forgot Reaper. Lots of people I know like and use Logic. I like using it on a colleague's Mac until I ran into some weird file conversion issue with it saving takes in a format it didn't understand, or something stupid like that. I've used Reaper on both PC and Mac without a hiccup, transferring projects back and forth. Plus you can skin it to look and act like almost any other DAW you might like.

4. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I'll vote too, but if use GarageBand or Logic. If you need to change time signature on the fly and stuff like that, Logic.

5. Matt P

Matt P Member

Ive been looking at Logic X a number of the recent reviews of the update are mentioning lock and crash, is this something anyone here has experienced?

6. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

No crashes with Logic X, been rock solid. Recorded our album on it.

However, it's not for newbies. It definitely has a learning curve.

Garageband is great for learning but you run into its limitations very early. In my case, in the very first day. I just wanted a tempo change in a song.

tguyfr likes this.
  7. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Logic has been very solid for me. I use it with a UAD Twin Duo, which is fantastic.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

+1
    If you learn on a fuller-featured package you quickly adapt to things GB cannot do.

9. Darkburst

Darkburst Supporting Member

If you've used Garage Band a lot it doesn't take much to get used to the basics of Logic X. Once you get comfortable then sky's the limit.

10. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Logic! I learned the basics on reaper on a PC. Then I got an iMac and bought Logic. Awesome program and easy to use. All the plugins and virtual instruments that come with it are amazing for $200. You won't regret making the move IMHO.

11. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Member

Ditto

12. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Member

Considering your concerns I would start with GarageBand because of its ease of use, and you'll still get excellent sound quality. If you decide to upgrade to a pro DAW, and choose Logic, you can open your GB files directly from it.

Isales Gutalter likes this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

Logic. Replaced ProTools as my go to DAW around six years ago. :D

14. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

That part of your post suggests GB, which is not a bad thing at all.

GB is not my favorite DAW, but you should start there.

tguyfr, NedZ and Isales Gutalter like this.
  15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It does have the virtue of being freely available to Mac users. Having the Drummer feature available in GB helps make up for its relative lack of loop content.

16. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

Long time Cubase user who moved to ProTools four years ago and just moved to Logic. ProTools is my favorite but I find Logic to be good for a lot of ITB stuff hat I'm doing now.

Depending what you're recording getting an 11rack is awesome because you get a copy of PtoTools, a good interface, and some good amp models.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

BTW the absolute champion bang for the buck (ZERO bux) is Presonus Studio One Prime.
    A free version that lacks some things that regular DAW users might find necessary (like recording more than 2 tracks simultaneously, VST support, etc., all available as upgrades) but includes a pretty fair S/W synth and pretty horrible amp sims.

18. richpjr

richpjr Member

If you want a small learning curve starting with Garage Band is a simple choice and then moving to Logic is a natural progression. But Logic is a solid choice - just make sure to get some iTunes gift cards on sale when you pick it up - I got it for $170 which is a steal for a product like that.

tguyfr, Stev0Griffin and NedZ like this.
  19. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I agree, plus there's a lot of great tutorial videos for both Garage Band and Logic on youtube to get you up and running fast.

20. Matt P

Matt P Member

Thank you for all the responses. I've purchased Logic. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a service where I could hire an audio engineer to come to my home for a few lessons?

GaryMcT likes this.