Favorite Menatone Model! Plus : New Pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Has anyone tried menatone effects? THe sound clips seem to prove a very sweet lead tone. Are menatone OD pedals usable on rhythms and crunch?
    Which model is works best with Alnico II type buckers?
    Has NE 1 tried them on a marshall?? vintage or modern?
    THANKS!!! I think I am going to buy one, not sure which to get.
    Just ordered my TIM, I am sure that will be a SWEET power section type OD for rhythm and lower gain type lead work.
    I can't believe those DUMBLE amps are so much! Howie pedal is sweet though. I will also take the other members advice and try out the OCD.
    BTW I found a new? pedal called, a Jdrive, and I thought I would share it with everybody because I think the soundclips are very nice when through a marshall and the craftsmanship is superb. what do you think?

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/jdrive.html

2. telemonk

telemonk Member

I've tried all the menatones and my favorites in order are:

Working man Blues
    Fish Factory
    TBIAC

Unfortuneately i play strats and teles through fenders and musicman amps so that probably is zero help! The TIM IS sweet btw.

3. Cary Chilton

What is the difference between the working mans blues and the blue collar? I have even heard the blue collar can sound like a plexi, but not the clips I heard.. the ones I heard sounded like a TS circuit sound to me.

4. telemonk

telemonk Member

The WMB is more open, not quite as smooth, has a little more "hair' on it I'd say. The eq circuit is more complex and capable of more flexability....The BC is kind of TS like but it's a whole lot more compressed then the red snapper. Which is very open ts type pedal. I like the snpper better then the BC because of that. It can do a great clean boost because it has such great clarity. The WMB is fairly unique; I've never heard a pedal remotely like it.

I use the WMB in the same application I used to use the TIM actually. As a light overdrive; mostly for light od rythym. Whereas the TIM really melded with the character of the amp the WMB adds it's own flavor. Supposedly along the lines of a JTM-45. I've found that I really like the color it imposes on my amp for that application as opposed to relative flatness of the Tim. I use the TBIAC for an even lighter od function. Again i really like the way it adds/changes the character of my fender. Then I have the fish factory set to higher gains for leads.....

All just apples and oranges to the Tim. Not better or worse. The TIM is awesome. for different setups it will certainly make more sense then the WMB....

5. Cary Chilton

which mena tone for nice smooth harmonic leads??
    I am hearing good things about the KAR KRASH, mixed reviews on the howie ( however on the menatone sight the howie shined above).

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

7. Cary Chilton

did that today, I am interested more feedback :D

8. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

My favorites for "rhythm and crunch" would be the WMB, Foxy Brown, and Dirty Blonde. For a melodic lead, you can't beat the Kar Krash or TBIAC. For the best in British blues (Beano Clapton or Peter Green), definitely go with the WMB. Mick Taylor in a box--Blue Collar. Southern rock Marshall--KOB6. The above amp-in-a-can Menatones, despite my tongue-in-cheek descriptions, are not your typical stompboxes. They are more like plugging into an amp, rather than a pedal. They offer a full frequency response plus the flavor of the amp. In general, I'm finding they work best cranked a little, using the guitar's volume for changes in lead and rhythm--just like an amp. I also have a TIM onboard, and it's great for bringing out the fine nuances between guitar and amp. But when a little different flavor is desired, Menatones are great to grab, in fact can be addicting. I usually play a strat type guitar through both a tweed and Marshall type amp.

9. Nathan

Nathan Member

I had both the KOB6 and Kar KRash, and I love them both. Sadly, I let the KOB6 go because I had most of its sounds covered by other pedals. It really gave my Twin-style amp a vingatey (but high octane) Marshall tone better than anything else I tried!

The KK is so sweet, I can't see myself ever letting it go! I sold my Timmy after I got this, and that's saying alot (if you ever heard the Timmy that is). IT covers some of what I liked about the Klon's clean tones and it just has a plethora of great sounds in it. The Grad/Fast switch is awesome for getting different feel, almost like 2 different pedals (but not quite). It's really got this complex smooth-to-grit transition as you dig into the strings or bring up the gain that says "boutique" and I love it for its originality.

10. Cary Chilton

wow thanks guys! Interesting. The menatones are really like pluggin into a different amp? cool! Never experienced that kinda of pedal yet! Would some even work with a solid state amp or only tube amp? Would everyone agree the Kar Krash beats out the Howie? Is the TBIAC still good to get if you already have a rangemaster type treble boost and a vintage marshall? Are menatone effects from Japan?

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah i still have a soft spot for Teles WMB from last years tourbox, very nice crunch pedal..... and I have a big purple helmeted warrior for the new Kar Krash !!!

12. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

That's too much info there Mr. Thunder King. :D :D

13. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I wouldn't say one beats out another as they're all different I've owned eight different Menatones and have been amazed at how unique each one is. Menatones are actually made in a little country east of Japan, called California. And, if memory serves me well, Brian Mena used to do the circuitry for Top Hat.

14. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Over the years, I have owned a Blue Collar, a Dirty Blond, three Howies, and two TBIACs.

I bought, sold, and rebought the Howie and the TBIAC. The TBIAC I just sold was a 5knob with trimmers. I also had a 6knob Howie for a while.

Of those I've tried, the 5knob Howie and the TBIAC are the best of the bunch. The Howie is on my board to stay. I would still have the TBIAC if I didn't also have a Janglebox. The TBIAC and the Janglebox are somewhat similar in what they do for me - the Janglebox has more top end which is what I need the pedal for.

The Blue Collar is a stylized tube screamer. The Dirty Blond is similar to the TBIAC circuit but plays more to the bass register.

They are all good pedals.

15. Cary Chilton

have not heard or seen the dirty blonde. I am teaching English in Asia and one ownder of a boutique pedal store thought the menatone was from Japan, but wasn't sure- that is why I asked. I didn't think so, I too, was thinking much further EAST.

16. rabbit

rabbit Member

Red Snapper - for low gain, transparent TS style overdrive/boost. Own one and I am happy with it. Even like it with SS amps, which amazes me, too!!!

Fish Factory - the above mentioned with an additional Blue Collar channel. Sounds great with Marshall plexi type amps imo.

17. Bill D

Bill D Guest

The 6 knob Howie really does it for me. Highly tweakable, oozes fat character and bark, somewhat touch sensitive. It is my go to lead pedal.

18. muddy

muddy Member

this is really a no-brainer; the JAC!!! easily the most transparent comp-in-a-stomp i've ever heard!

ml

19. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I just bought a Menatone The King Studio. Looks to be end all be all Marshall pedal. Lots of love for it. Will report back

Flatscan likes this.
  20. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Member

Ms. Foxy Brown does the ZZ Top Thunderbird tone better than any other pedal I have tried. It’s fantastic...