Favorite mic for female vocals

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Apartment 11, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

What's your favorite mic for female vocals?:phones

2. elambo

elambo Member

Without regard to budget... AKG C12, then Telefunken 251.

With regard to budget... Wunder CM7

Project studio budget... Peluso 2247-LE

Savings budget... AudioTechnica AT-4050 maybe

3. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

Wow, some of thos mics are pretty high end stuff. Wish I could afford C12. It just looks so nice.

What's another good one for $1K or less?

4. elambo

elambo Member

Initially you didn't mention a budget so I was covering all the bases. Some of those are certainly high end, but you can get a great mic for under a grand these days.

There's a chance that you will find a used Peluso around $1k. Check eBay for that. The ATs are good - several people here swear by them.

5. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

Groove Tubes GT-67. Phenomenal large diaphragm condenser for vocals, drum overheads and acoustic guitars. New they're high $600's. Used you may be able to get them around $300. I use a pair for stereo drum overheads.

6. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

There are some that I recently looked particularly close at but don't really know much about them yet. You guys can tell me which ones are good and which ones are not. They are Rode K2, NT2-A, BlueBerry, AK414 and TLM103.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

My current favorite is a Peluso 22-251. My AT-4047 brings out a huskiness that flatters some women's voices more than others, and sometimes I use that. I've tried the Peluso 22-47LE and Neumann M-147 on female vocals but so far have not liked either one as much as the other two. The 22-251 is usually first out of the box. What a kick-ass mic... !! Right now mine is on Peluso's bench being tweaked a bit, I expect it back soon.

The 22-47 and M-147 also kick ass, more so on male vocals.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you meant AKG 414, I would not get it for vocals. Very good intrument mic, though. JMO, YMMV, LSMFT.

Avoid altogether, same uppercase disclaimers.

Don't know, sorry.

9. dunara

dunara Member

The Rode NT2-A is excellent in my experience, particularly on female vocals.

AKG414 ULS or EB, agreed. AKG 414 XL11 or TL11 - wonderful for vocals, male or female.

10. BurstWurst

BurstWurst Member

With the girls, I usually start off with a Neumann U47fet (not the venerable Tube U47), or a mic that is emulating a 47fet. AKG414 would be my last LDC choice for females as it already accentuates highs. The 47fet is desirable because it seems to add girth. Fat girls usually sing best, ya know. A 47fet will fatten 'em up.

11. Mark McPheeters

Mark McPheeters Member

I've had great results using an AT 4050 on a couple of pretty diverse female vocalists....

12. 2manygtrs

2manygtrs Member

Lots of high dollar choices...
    Maybe because I have a few, and they are easy and quick but I always seem to have great luck with a KMS105 from Neumann. Around $500 and they sound awesome. I use them for Male vox too. Live, in the studio whatever. Ca be a little difficult for the inexperienced monitor engineer though. They dont have that cutting harshness of a 58 so you have to be able to identify frequencies and either save a good parametric to a card or ring it out before the artist gets there. Never a problem for me though. They sound great on just about anything too.

13. elambo

elambo Member

There are a couple of these on eBay right now with prices in the green zone. One comes withOUT a shockmount - something you must have - so keep that in mind. It's an additional cost.

Great mic!

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, no kidding! We were blown away the minute we tried it out.

15. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

sanken cu44x is another spectacular choice.

16. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I respufully disagree with those who say no 414 on vocals. THe 414-EB is a great vocal chioce. The 414TL-II has it's place as well. With all mic's, it's more a matter what fits the vocalist as well as the pre-amp, compression (or not ) combo that's used. It's best to finds the mic' that works with the vocalist that you are going to be spending a lot of time with. If they're that good they should be comfortable in paying for a rental. If you are growing a studio, get the absolute best mic' you can afford. I've seen corners cut too many times only to pay a second time for the real deal down the road.

17. matte

matte Senior Member

18. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Soprano/Thinner voice- Peluso 22 47LE
    Alto/slightly raspy- Peluso P12
    Thicker/full range- Peluso 22 251

Mic preamps are a big deal too. The 22 47LE and P12 work best with my UA 2-610. The 22 251 with my D.W. Fearn VT-2.

Good luck with your search.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Just esoteric enough, I love it!! ;)

I've heard of it being a favorite on some male vocals, Sinatra in particular... but not familiar with its use on female vocals. I don't know that I've ever been within 100 yards of one.

20. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

I started in recording in 1972 and in over 35 years of either owning or working in studios I have yet to find a universal mic for female vocals. I will say that a Senn 441 has saved the day in more situations when nothing else seemed to quite get it right with a female singer than anything else I can think of.