Favorite Mini Humbuckers?

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I'm doing a Tele build and wanted to see what everybody likes for mini buckers these days. They will be mounting in plastic surrounds (P90 routes), and I want to stick with pole piece pickups since I'm after more of a PAF than a Firebird tone. Any favorites?

Rumors of War

The only ones I have ever tried are a set of Klein's that are a custom job in full size covers. I like them a lot.

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have a lot of experience, but of the ones I have tried, my favorites are the Duncanized Firebird pickups. (SM-1?)

If you're looking for minis that aren't Firebird styled? I probably couldn't help. I've tried a few, but the only ones I really dug were in an early 70s Les Paul Deluxe (they were stock).

I've also played through current Gibson minis, and I can't say I'm in love with them. Also tried some DiMarzio of unknown model and was equally underwhelmed.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies. I should add that I’ve had several vintage patent number minis that were great, but not potted and had real feedback issues. I also had a Lollar mini in the neck of a tele that worked well. Years ago I had an Antiquity mini that surprisingly didn’t sound great (I’ve liked most antiquities) but maybe I need to think about these again.

BUTTISLAND

this is might me an unobtanium, but my favorite mini humbucker pickup is the one that ron thorn used to build for his custom thorn guitar, called the pasadena, i believe? the other favorite mini humbucker is the one that Jason Lollar build. ymmv

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I love the Duncan Firebird pickup in my Fender '52 Hot Rod Tele. I also recently got a Gemini Gold Foil minibucker that I am really enjoying right now.

IoOCuyg.jpg

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Appreciate all the rec's - I have some stuff to look up. Anyone ever heard the Budz version?

mrpinter

Platinum Supporting Member
My favorites are made by Joshua Spataro of Righteous Sound Pickups. He makes my favorite pickups, period.
K7zAoIT.jpg

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Reviving this thread - any thoughts on Fralins vs Lollars? I have a set of Buds on order, but need something in the interim.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom