1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Neck Pickup for 335 Cleans

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whatdisay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

I've got one of the Memphis run 335s (pelham blue). LOVE this guitar but there's just something a little lacking on the Burstbucker neck pickup for cleans. I've messed with the height of the magnets and the pickup overall but I'm just not getting the response, dynamics and great "pop" I'd like.

What's your go-to favorite for cleans or cleanish on the 335 neck pickups? Gotten a few suggestions but there's nothing like the focused, unanimous feedback of the Gear Page.

Arcadia likes this.
  2. thebowl

thebowl Member

Seth Lover. You can pay more, but....

3. ultra

ultra Member

You could try a magnet swap to Alnico 3. I put an Al 3 into my Burstbucker 1 and it cleaned it up nicely and it is not so mid focused. The guitar is an ES335.

A magnet swap also saves you from pulling the harness out to do a pickup swap.

whatdisay likes this.
  4. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I'm really really digging the historics they put in the Gibson Memphis guitars.
    MHS Neck

morgan918 and time2kill like this.
  5. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

I love your playing on that song todd in c. but its sounding rather thin. The OP is asking about a 335. The Les Pauls have turned me off because they sound , besides thin, like solid bodies. And I've tried to like them. 335's are a whole different animal.

time2kill likes this.
  6. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

MHS in my 335 ('63 reissue). Simply, amazing!

time2kill likes this.
  7. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Seth Lovers, the lack of wax potting seems to make them interact more with the semi hollow. I don't know if they will solve you problem, exactly. I have a Sheraton with Seth Lovers, and IMO the extent to which it "pops" depends on the amp, especially if it has a strong low end, like a tweed or a BF/SF Fender. Some amps dont have much bass, and nothing seems to "pop" through them.

64 Tele and whatdisay like this.
  8. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Well that's new - les pauls sounding thin! I hate to think what you think about single coil guitars!

I would also second what @ultra said. A swap to an A3 would be a good idea if not wanting to go through a full swap. Burstbuckers are well made pickups but sometimes can benefit from different mags to get change tone or clarity.

whatdisay likes this.
  9. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Seth Lovers for a semi are my favorite... Lollar Imperials a close 2nd (Seth’s are a bit warmer)

My buddy has a Duncan Jazz in the neck of his Epi Lucille, and it’s almost TOO bright to my ears, but he loves it - YMMV

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I had two ES-333s, one with Seth Lovers and one with Duncan Antiquities. I actually preferred the Antiquities for gain tones but the Lovers were great for cleans.

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have two 335s, both of them have Fralin Pure PAFs, which I love. I have had Lollar Imperials in one of them in the past, I liked those a lot too. Not a lot of experience with Seth Lovers in that exact model but I could see how those could be a really great match as well.

whatdisay likes this.
  12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Repalced my 57 with Jimmy Wallaces

whatdisay likes this.
  13. Roe

Roe Member

thornbucker neck is good. And the seth lover is excellent with an unoriented a5 magnet or a long oriented a5 magnet

whatdisay likes this.
  14. Roe

Roe Member

To avoid mud, I prefer:
    - 1m vol pot with treble bleed
    - noload tone pot
    - Alnico 5 magnet, either oriented or unoriented
    - low-wind paf style pickup
    - lower the pole screws on the bass side a little for clearer bass

whatdisay likes this.
  15. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

MHS I have them in my ES-335 Traditional and they sound amazing. Moreover they are really responsive to pickup heigh.

16. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Another vote for the Seth Lovers here. Probably the best bang-for-buck among PAF clones, IMO.

17. Roe

Roe Member

best bang for buck is SD 59 but the seth lover is close

18. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment on my playing.

So, this guitar has f-holes :).
    In fact, the ES-LPs, made in the same factory, use the same techniques [center block arch-top] and electronics as the ES-335. The 335 would be a shade more resonant due to the larger body but I definitely think this is closer to a 335 than it would be to a strat. I was aiming for a Bensonesque tone on the video, the lead that begins @ 3:45 touches on that tone. I may try a similar tone through some bigger iron, the Deluxe Reverb is a small amp for sure.

19. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I have a factory-loaded SD Jazz in the neck of my Eastman T486. I like it.
    I don’t find it too bright, but I also roll the tone knob down to about 5.

20. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Lots of suggestions for the MHS....can they be purchased aftermarket?