1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Neck Pickup for 335 Cleans

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whatdisay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Two of the best I have heard/tried.

Seth Lover - Tried one of these in the neck position of a Hamer Newport. Sounded real nice-like.

Duncan Jazz - Tried one of these in a 335 copy (cannot remember the brand). I remember the guitar had a mahogany neck, so it wasn't an Epi or anything. Anyhows....it was a thicker, airy-sounding guitar that the Jazz mated really well with.

2. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Well that's kinda apples & oranges then, isn't it?

If you left the tone knob on 10, wouldn't it be too bright?

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Not to be argumentative but if you are playing "clean" (quotation marks because the term doesn't tell you much: Tweed bassman clean? Minibrute clean?) leaving your tone knob on ten doesn't leave you anywhere to go but muddy without touching the amp or stepping on a pedal.

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I never crank the tone knob(s) on my guitar(s).
    My Teles and Strat are typically at 6-7. The Eastman’s bridge HB (SD 59), around 7-8. Neck HB (Jazz), around 5, which tames that brightness.
    But sometimes, minor adjustments will be made depending on the amp being used.

5. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Favorite neck humbuckers:

Bare Knuckle Mule (unpotted)
    Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday (unpotted)
    Lindy Fralin Unbucker (7.5k, unpotted)

For me the key to a clear neck humbucker sound has been unbalanced coils, non-wax potted, lower output and generally not Alnico V.

A4 magnets tend to chop off a bit of the muddy bass frequencies. While some argue they inherently don’t have as much top end sparkle as A5 that clearer bottom end allows the whole tone to come through and stay balanced and articulate.

Sort of like when you are recording and you listen back to the mix. Sometimes if things are sounding muddy it’s better to cut lows than it is to boost highs. Just clearing out the offending low mid frequencies can make the whole mix sound clearer.

All things being equal in my experience a non-potted pickup will have a slightly more clear tone as well. There’s always the likelihood of more microphonic issues when you have an unpotted pickup so there can be a trade off. I rarely use a ton of gain on the neck position so it’s sort of a non-issue for me.

Ryno1331 and Da Geezer like this.
  6. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Pretty much exactly what I do. I only back volume off a little (8 or 9 depending on genre being played), but tones are generally 6 or 7)

I also am a fan of Seth Lovers. Before G&L switched to their own in-house pickup, it was standard in the neck of their Bluesboy ASAT/Tele. You wouldn't believe all the complaints in the Forums! Apparently the Seths are too dark sounding...

My semi-hollow Bluesboy sings above the 5th fret with that thing. I generally dime the tone knob or switch to middle position when I'm playing 1st to 4th fret because of the way I tend to EQ my amps, which are pretty middle of the road old school types.

Along with the Seth, I have Classic 57s in an ES-175 I enjoy. I never hesitate when I need a PAF and see either available used.

jpervin likes this.
  7. stevieboy

stevieboy Cultural Appropriator Gold Supporting Member

I have a Lollar El Rayo in the neck position of my CR8. That’s the best neck sound I’ve ever gotten, and it’s clear as a bell. Also great in the middle position with the bridge Lollar Imperial low wind.

Haven’t had it in my 335, likely won’t but I would expect it would work well there too.

8. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Not to be argumentative, but it sounds like you're avoiding the question.... :rolleyes:

If you have to turn a neck pickup's tone down to 5 to get what you'd consider a usable tone... on a guitar that's fairly mellow to begin with – then the pickup is probably too bright

I mean, that's just logic

9. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

^^^^^
    I rest my case... ;)

FWIW – I usually turn the tone down a little for bridge humbuckers, and likewise on Strats & Tele too. But neck humbuckers stay with the tone on 10 unless I'm intentionally going for a jazzier sound or "woman tone". In fact, that's how I dial in the amp with a 2-bucker guitar (so do alot of folks, honestly)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Okay, I'll go slow. You put your tone knob on the guitar on 6 or 7. Dial in your tone on the amp. Now as you're playing, if you feel the need, you can turn up the tone for more treble and depending on how your amp is set volume wise, perhaps a little more gain as a bonus. If you feel the need you can turn down the tone for a bassier sound. With your "set it to 10" lifestyle, all you can do is turn down the tone. Getting muddy and getting absolutely lost in the mix. Now if you aren't playing in a band, no problem. Tweak your amp every time you decide to play something else. If you're gigging, going up and down is kind of important.

I didn't avoid the question. I just didn't feel it was worth addressing because if someone is running their tone knob on 10 all the time, they don't understand that you play the entire rig. Guitar, cables, pedals, amp. It's all connected.

It's called a tone knob. Not a "set it to 10 knob". Adjusting volume, tone, and your pickup selector on the fly, DURING songs, is a hard earned skill. There's a lot of timbre variation in the average guitar. As I posted in a different response in this thread, I'll shift pickups mid solo a lot of the time because the neck pickup feels right higher up on the neck, but can be too muddy to my ear close to the nut.

Ya'll need to be rollin' knobs, not eyes...

imguitardan, Telechamp and jpervin like this.
  11. LoudAC30

LoudAC30 Member

36th anniversary.

Probably my favorite neck humbucker of all time. Not the biggest fan of the bridge version, however.

12. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Wish you hadn't posted this. I have a guitar that would look sweet with the red and black bobbins:oops:

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Another vote for the Seth Lover. I just had a similar issue and was curious if anything else would be better, or at least as good. Ultimately I decided it'd be hard to beat the Seths. Even if you decide to pay a lot more, they just sound the way a PAF style bucker should. Balanced and lively. If you don't play loud with a lot of gain (and you said "clean"), then the lack of potting becomes a big plus.

64 Tele likes this.
  14. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Bogner likes this.
  15. FreedomsSound

FreedomsSound Member

AFAIK, the MHS are done.

16. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

So it turns out I got some better note separation and attack by raising the neck pickup (the original Burstbucker 1) and turning volume down to about 7.5. I think maybe I’d set it too low trying to get less bass and ended up going too low.

Really appreciate all the suggestions. Will look out for a set of Seth Lovers.

Perhaps “pop” was the wrong term for me to use in the original post. I just want some attack and clear note separation on the heavier strings.

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Lollar imperial low wind is my favorite. Like a cross between humbucker and single coil. Warm yet clear.

Seth lover is nice too but a bit softer overall.

Thornbucker I like in a les Paul as it’s more aggressive but I think it would be too much in a 335 for me.

18. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

OK, now you’re just being rude and condescending with that whole last post

Yeah, we’re done here - to each their own... play on, brother

19. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well I found the eye rollies a bit condescending considering the position you were taking.

20. strike3

strike3 Member

Seth’s good for 335 bridge too?