Favorite overdrives/light distortions with a Fender Princeton Reverb?

Pazz

I read that you thought the Barber Direct Drive has too much grit. The Gain Changer SR is a fantastic light OD pedal. It has a huge gain range, but really excels in the “barely there” sound thickening area. Multiple EQ settings allow it to fit with whatever you need. The Timmy does the “more” setting slightly better. (My amp, just slightly fuller and sounds like I’m playing it at a louder volume.). I’ve also heard many great things about the Lightspeed.
I have a Gries 5, which is a blackface circuit. She loves most pedals. For your application, (and for many more you may need down the road) the Barber Gain Changer would be a great purchase!

DJ_61

Gold Supporting Member
What I like is: Revivaldrive compact with my Princeton, sometimes pushed by a Jan Ray. I like the Jan Ray straight into the Princeton too. And the best: Fulltone 69 into JR or RD into a Princeton. Sounds huge any way....
I control the amount of drive with the volume pot on my guitar.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Well I don't have a Princeton but I do have a 67 BlackFace Pro Reverb and it really likes the LightSpeed and I think it ads a type of Matchless chime. A couple of others to look into would be the Benson FET Preamp and Prince Of Tone. If $$$ is not an issue get the King OF Tone it's great with Fenders. Right now I'm using a JanRay, Bondi Del Mar and a Browne Protein.

~ss

bobcs71

My best results with a '65 Princeton NR (amp just breaking up on a Tele bridge p'up, not clipping on neck)

Rhythm:
Timmy (no tone change) & Catalinbread 5F6 @12V (some tweed character, good in a live mix)

Lead:
Keeley Red Dirt - I may not want the mid hump at home but it is perfect live or recorded. Low gain & volume above unity.
Reference, I am the Tele/Princeton player:

Note: A Princeton with volume at 3 does not have the same tone as the amp with the volume at 6 to 8. Reverb models will break up earlier.

Last edited:

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
My best results with a '65 Princeton NR (amp just breaking up on a Tele bridge p'up, not clipping on neck)

Rhythm:
Timmy (no tone change) & Catalinbread 5F3 @12V (some tweed character, good in a live mix)

Lead:
Keeley Red Dirt - I may not want the mid hump at home but it is perfect live or recorded. Low gain & volume above unity.
Reference, I am the Tele/Princeton player:

Note: A Princeton with volume at 3 does not have the same tone as the amp with the volume at 6 to 8. Reverb models will break up earlier.

Yeah, that's nice! Like the song, too. I have an early 70s Princeton that I really love, but it's clean the whole way. I use the PR because it does start to break up at 4, and I like how it sounds when I hit it with a boost or OD.

But I dig that tone. I probably want it a bit more dirty than that, but that sounds great!

bobcs71

Yeah, that's nice! Like the song, too. I have an early 70s Princeton that I really love, but it's clean the whole way. I use the PR because it does start to break up at 4, and I like how it sounds when I hit it with a boost or OD.

But I dig that tone. I probably want it a bit more dirty than that, but that sounds great!
Thanks. I think I had the Catalinbread 5F6 on but gain set very low.
I changed the mids resistor to 10k on the amp. I had a 5Y3 copper cap rectifier instead of the GZ34.
I also had a Dr Z attenuator in it just in case.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Is it high gain or normal gain kot?

My KoT is higher gain (have to remember it's not 'high' gain, but 'higher') on the red side.

That clip was the red side (OD) for the rhythm part and red side (OD) stacked with the yellow side (Boost) for the lead.

Barber Gain Changer SR > Fulltone OCD > Thorpy Fallout Cloud (mix & match to taste) - I can go from Spanky-Pristine-Clean's: like Nile Rodgers or Prince to Santana-like sustain, or even Van Halen or Tony Iommi with single coils. I'm finally Done. My drive search has ended.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
For my prri i have a jetter gold, catalinbread 55 & no.5, and a Snousebb OD2. Honestly < i think i could accomplish all my tonal goals with two Timmy's. I use mostly single coils. p90's & humbuckers change variable. I think my other pedals like the more output of the pickups. I find more variables & choices with the Timmy. POT did not work for me.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
Of all the pedals I own my really old non-mosfet Fulldrive push pull comp works best with my Princeton-ish amp.

marcja

FWIW, I played a KOT into my '64 Princeton Reverb for a while, but I ended up strongly preferring the Barber Gain Changer SR for low gain. Sold the KOT.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
‘79 PR with Weber 12” does just fine at 3.5 with an ODR-1 clone and a Mostortion clone. The latter is more flexible due to the 3-band EQ.

InkStained

Of all the pedals I own my really old non-mosfet Fulldrive push pull comp works best with my Princeton-ish amp.
I've used everything under the sun with my Princeton Recording Amp. Right now, I'm using a Fulldrive 3. But (a big proviso here): I don't "overdrive" as much as I used to, so I'm using the boost side of that pedal when I want volume. It's the amp's sound, only louder.

Strat58

The best overdrive sounds I get with a OCD paired with a Fulldrive, FD before the OCD, low overdrive setting, and for leads +FD insane leads +boost. It was mine speaker was going to explode during Red House with a Strat, the other soungs are played with a LP and almost always only the OCD was enough. I use a lot of volume knob quite a bit and presure from the flat pick to get dynamics. For amp. I am using a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Marshall 1974X. Volume about it going to break al little bit not to loud.
Peace Strat58

Philo

Used a gain changer for my small outdoor gig With a SFPR.

sometimes used it rolling off the volume pot to clean up; sometimes used it as a distortion/boost to add grit. Works great for both.

Eliguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of good recommendations here. I play mostly fender combos and I could easily just use the RC booster and a Nobels ODR1. Didn’t like the mini too much but the Green RI is cool. The Nordland ODR-C is even better with more tonal options.

Swijak

I have a modded 68’ Princeton Reverb and I recently bought the TruTone Route66 and I’m surprised by how good it sounds. I really wanted a comp and overdrive in one so I could save some space on my board and this thing delivers. The noise gate on it doesn’t do a damn thing but the comp and the od (especially the B voicing) sound bright and clear. If you turn up the treble it doesn’t turn into an ice pick and if you turn up the bass it doesn’t get too dark. There is a really long review of this pedal on Sweetwater and the review says the treble/bass are pre-gain. I think that’s why neither the treble or bass become overbearing. Even if you turn both of them all the way up it still sounds good. I honestly really didn’t care for the A voicing too much. The comp is also really good and keeps everything together. I’m also thinking about buying an MXR Dyna Comp
Script. I’ve been on a compressor/light overdrive hunt as well.

After the Route66 comes the Ernie Ball Expression Overdrive which I was also very very surprised by. I didn’t think it would be worth $75 but I bought it anyway and honestly it’s a pretty good drive. It doesn’t really have any specific EQ to it. It’s just kind of there. I don’t know how else to explain it. It’s like you’re just adding overdrive. No mid hump or anything like that. Plus the ability to control the amount of overdrive with your foot is awesome. It is actually kind of expressive in a way. You can be clean and then out of nowhere be fully overdriven and then roll it back off a bit so it’s a lighter drive. You can also add overdrive while the notes ring out so that’s kind of cool too. I sent it to Shnobel yesterday to see if he can add the lifetime string and in exchange he can record a demo of the pedal. I also sent him my BOSS TE-2 to shoot a demo for as well. Overjoyed about it. He is really nice.

I also recently bought a Tube Driver by Tube Works. The 3-knob/9v version. It seriously sounds like a cranked tube amp and combined with my EHX DMM it makes me sound like Eric Johnson. I got it for like $100 off Reverb but I think they’re like $150-$200 most of the time now.

I’ve also used a standard RAT2 for years. I love a RAT2 through basically any amp. Sounds awesome through a VOX, my 80s Peavey solid state, and my Fender HRD.
I second the Truetone Route 66 V3 recommendation (note these are not the same as the Visual Sound Route 66 V1 and V2). The V3 is based on a discontinued, Visual Sound designed Reverend Drivetrain which is one of my all time favorite drive pedals. The original Reverend Drivetrain and Drivetrain II getting pricey on Reverb (the DTII is my absolute favorite). Visual Sound made the Garage Tone Drivetrain that is pretty good and can be found for under $100 on Reverb. I run Strats/Teles into SF Princeton Reverbs and Bandmaster Reverbs and the DT and RT66V3 really nail my ideal sound. I played a Les Paul/ES-335 into a Vibro King with only a DTII as my drive and I really loved the sound.

Top Bottom