Favorite Overdrives that just don't work for you?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by H_V_C, Feb 23, 2008.

1. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Hey guys,

Recently there was a post about the little green wonder and I was thinking about how I really loved the pedal, but I knew it just wasn't the one for me. It's kind of an odd sensation. Anyway, here's a couple more that I feel the same way about. How about you? Also state which ones you ARE using on your board in the end.

Mine:

1. Eternity-I have to keep one around because I love the flavor, but it doesn't feel like a main board pedal for some damn reason.

2. BJF/MP LGW-Amazing pedal but just a hair to grainy.

3. KOT v4- This pedal is so real and beautiful but...... I don't know.

4. Timmy-So versatile and a GREAT stacker yet......I don't know. :)

5. Cot50-When the battery is running low, this one sound INCREDIBLE, but if you are using a DC tap or fresh battery; not so much. Yes, I've tried the "dying battery" sim on my PP2+, but it just doesn't do it.

The one I kept on my big board: LDO into a Honey BEE Or DRD. (I swap the BJFe's depending on the gig, but I love them both equally.

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Ocd - I liked version 3 but in the end it didn't work
    Eternity - The burst (hw) are great...I think I need another one but robs bass
    Honey Bee - I really like this but for the money it is isn't worth having when my cranked amp does the same thing.

3. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

Eternity-harsh sounding with my set-up, slight in the low end, just didn't do it for me dawg.
    Klon- great boost/horrible OD
    SIB Varidrive - sounded like the Duncan Twin Tube. Raspy

4. Dave

Dave Member

I was just thinking about this the other day as I blew the dust off my Barber Direct Drive and rediscovered what a great pedal it is. There's too many to list or recall, but here's a few great pedals that didn't work for me:

BJFE Honey Bee: Too polite/softens attack, a little dark, not enough EQ control.
    BJFE EGDM: Not enough EQ control. I kind of wish I still had it though, amazing pedal.
    BJFE DRD: Again, not enough EQ control. A little murky in the lower mids.
    Eternity(burst): I apparently don't get it.
    Fulltone GT-500: Again, I apparently don't get it.
    Box of Rock: Too much flubby bass.
    Zendrive: Too weak in the low end.
    Landgraff Mo'D: I like my Keeley Rat better, even if it isn't as pretty.
    Xotic BB: Way too compressed for me. If they made a more open/dynamic version I'd be all over it because the BB does sound great IMO.
    Ulbrick 12AXE: Does not retain your low end as advertised. Still a very nice TS808 though.
    Bad Monkey: Picked one up on a whim. I don't get it. Sounds awful to me, regardless of the price.

5. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

Reezafratzitz - sounded great but I have no high gain needs
    King of the britains - I've loved the 6 knob version and the newest version, but I don't really have a need for this sound either in what I'm normally playing
    Honey Bee - Sounds great, but I don't use it enough to justify the price tag.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

MO'D...XactTone Precision Overdrive (kills with hums) and a Klon are still here...the rest didn't make the cut...

like to try a Dumbell and a Bob Burt OD and maybe some of the Jetters but I get pretty much all I need with the above...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Barber Small Fry. I was intrigued by the Burn Unit for years but it was too expensive. I was thrilled when a single channel version came out and bought it. I really loved it as a lead sound, but hated it for rhythm. It compressed in a way, or maybe it was the voicing, that it got totally lost in the mix. Despite the fancy tone stack. I was bummed :(

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

9. Dave

Dave Member

I just traded a Rezza away and I wish I'd kept it because I don't own any amps that will do a good heavy distortion sound. It's like a metal pedal for guys who don't like metal. It sounds like a Rat with more(lots more) low end and scooped mids. Very cool pedal.

10. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

I love the Barber LTD, but I just can't find a use for it in my life.

11. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

:eek:
    In fact, you have a good point. While its not toppy or overly bright, it isnt the fattest od out there. Its still my favourite and kept a KOT off my board, but i dont think i could use it exclusively without the megalodon fattening it up.
    but im yet to come across anything as smooth that can go from light boost to 808 to gilmours singing lead tone so easily.

ive gotta go with one i had good wraps on, and its the tube zone. Its such a good pedal. Boost, overdrive, distortion, fat, bright, mid heavy or scooped, perfect for blues, rock, metal, anything really. but i cannot get it to work with bright amps and my strats. it just doesnt gel with Kt66 based amps and single coils.

12. Dave

Dave Member

And that's my problem with most OD/distortion pedals; inadequate EQ.

I like the way my amps sound and I dial them in very carefully. I don't want an OD pedal to sound like I've switched to a different amp when I kick it on. Give me control over the EQ so that I can make the pedal fit the rig, not the other way around.

13. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I've ended up going against the grain of boutique pedals by going back to a vintage 808. I can't seem to replicate its warm natural tone with anything else. I've owned Zendrives, Fulltones, Landgraffs, Klons etc. All are nice pedals, but all fall short.

14. jhumber

jhumber Member

Xotic AC - compressed beyond belief.

It's a shame, becaused I run the RC and BB with great success, but I could never get on with the AC on it's own. (Stacked with the BB it sounded great, but I've since replaced it with an MI Audio Crunchbox).

15. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

Fulltone FD2- all versions. Loved it as a 2 channel clean boost in comp cut mode, but the overdrive doesn't sound right to my ears.

16. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Zvex BoR - bass was untameable

Mesa V-1 bottle rocket - smooth but too transparent. I was looking for instant tonal transformation with this guy.

17. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

BB Pre Amp - sounds kind of small with the band
    OCD - too fizzy for my ears
    Blackstone - I guess I am not a Mosfet guy
    Eternity (Roadhouse) - sounds great, yet oddly unusable for my setting. I'm glad I'mnot the only one. I like it best with a tele, though.
    Sunface NKT - amazing, but not that usable in my music. Al little high maintenance. (I may just be lame with the fuzz)

Also - Fulldrive 2 - sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. weird - seems to be best in my set up with the Les Paul.
    Hotcake - haven't found too many applications for it. But cool for heavier, compressed stuff. I need more time with it.

18. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Klon Centaur: great as a clean boost, but the nasal sounding overdrive tones didn't do anything for me.

19. Sid

Sid Member

Eternity - unusable EQ
    MP LGW - as mentioned before...too grainy
    Ethos - way too artificial

20. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Ditto. That and the Tech 21 American Woman were not for me at all.