Favorite pedal "stacks" or chains

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playon, Jan 23, 2006.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

OK, I'm kinda new around here, so maybe this has been covered before, hope I'm not :horse

but how about listing some of your favorite combinations of pedals that sound great when used at the same time? (This especially applies to overdrive and distortion pedals). I've been on a spree lately buying crap and it's fun to see which ones really work well together... current preferred setup on my board at them moment (haven't gigged this yet) is
    Dyna-Ranger > Teese RMC Wah > Hellbilly > TIM... and then into a Flange/chorus deal, maybe a delay and the Sex Drive at the end to keep the line level goosed.

My recent fave stacks:

Dyna-Ranger Treble Booster into the TIM, with the TIM gain set around 10:00. -- Wow! Really fat and tight sounding
    Hellbilly into the TIM is fat too but more greasy, less edge/definition.
    Dyna-R > Hellbilly > TIM is really bad-ass and thick, more exreme distortion w/killer harmonics and sustain
    Dyna into the Hellbilly alone sounds a bit too thin and bright, so I don't go thre
    Dyna > Red Llama = very nasty (in a good way), controllable distortion. But the RL is off the board for now...

I will try to post some clips at some point.

Not being a tech, one thing that I don't understand about pedals is why some of them react so differently to what is placed in front of them. For example the RC Booster didn't play with my OD pedals compared to the Sex Drive, it made the levels jump all over the place. I tried a BJF Baby Blue Overdrive and it didn't work well with a treble booster in front of it... the combos above work great because I can get lots of different tones without the volume level moving around too much. Must be something about the different input impedance of the boxes, or how compressed the different circuits are that make some behave differently?

2. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

bridge pickup->TS808->BiComp(ross side)->Analogman sd1/808 silver-> Boss CE-2..................sounds so bitchen live

Middle pickup->BiComp(juicer side)->OCD-> Analogman sd1/808 silver....freakin smokin articulate

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Easy one for me (as I recently discussed in another read, for those that find me redundant, or repetitive, or that I keep saying the same thing):
    Cascaded Tubescreamers. Analogman Tubescreamers. That takes care of me.
    I also believe that echo makes everything sound better.

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

Oh hey, I thought of another one:
    Rangemaster after Germanium fuzz. Absolutely awesome.:YinYang

5. erksin

erksin Member

#1 Hellbilly (set as a Treble Booster) -> Timmy
    #2 MI Audio Blue Boy -> Timmy
    #3 Ham sandwich -> Timmy

Basically anything into the Timmy is what I'm sayin'!

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

cot50>>twin60
    Eternity>>twin60

The BJFEs are amazing at stacking! I could run three or four into each other and it did not come out as mud!

7. Ned

Ned Member

no cot50>>eternity Last Nerve? i love my bicomp>>fab50>>eternity combo!

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Ya know...I WAS running...cot>>Eternity>>twin60...

Then I started messing around with the cot alone....DAMN AMAZING pedal. Never seen a one knob pedal be so flexible. A little bright going cot>>twin, but I adjusted my Shiva a tad and I love the cot around noon now as a stand alone cleanish-OD.
    AND...I'm on the fence about whether I should pick up a compressor?
    That Diamond one looks nice.

9. Ned

Ned Member

i noticed my fab50 being a little bright when i had my volume pot close higher up on the guitar, having the compressor really helped smooth and even out the eq..cleans up your sound nicely also

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'll have to try that one... my usual M.O. is to always put the treble booster first.

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

I hear you that makes a lot of sense, but a lot of fuzzes don't like ANYTHING in front of them, and Analogman makes the Sun Lion which is a two in one Rangemaster after Fuzz Face (Germanium). He is damn proud of each of those pedals individually, so if he combined them in that order they must be complimentary. So I thought since I already have a rangemaster clone and I have a germanium fuzz... Wow! If you're like me and you use the Germanium fuzz in a responsive way (changes in picking dynamics, rolling the volume off for verses, back up for leads and heavier parts), this thing gives you a whole new place to go with your solos.

12. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Cot 50 (bias 8-9 oclock) -> Hot Cake (gain 1 oclock).

Works best with my Telesonic, absolutely awesome sound, woody, just beautiful. Works with the strat as well, but not as magically as with the Tele.

I also like my Super Chili Picoso with everything :)

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

Do you run the Chile Picoso at the end of the chain? That's a nice pedal, I tried one in a shop the other day...

14. webb

webb Member

Cot 50 into a sea blue eq with a little delay:angel

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

COT50 > TC Jauernig Gristle King. The Time Machine Boost's vintage side also has a role to play, but I can't decide where that one should go. I'm thinking first so that I can have a clean boost at the front and end of the chain.

16. Teahead

Teahead Member

I've been enjoying plenty of Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz into BJF Pale Green Compressor lately. The comp really gives presence to the fuzz and articulates all it's nuance and tone. A touch of Ibanez AD80 analog delay and I'm in lead heaven.

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Squeeze Factor (compressor) > Eternity (OD) > Twin 60 (clean boost)

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep I do. I bought it to be my solo boost.. I've only got to use it properly once so I havent been able to check out all the possibilities. It did the solo boost job wonderfully.. The SCP sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll by another one and leave it on all the time, it has such a flattering eq.. It was also great to use it as a substitute for overdrive at times when I just wanted to push my amp a bit more and have a tad more muscle on my sound..

19. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I thought the MI audio blues pro into a Tim was just kick ass.Iam saving my money for a Dyna red to run into a Tim, ive heard some good things about that. :dude

20. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

TIM --> Timmy. There's something special about that combo. TIM with a boost engaged into Timmy is a great medium overdrive lead sound with a Tele bridge pup. Adds a nice compression to the sound but it's not mushy. Like somebody mentioned above, TIM or Timmy are great stacks with just about every dirt pedal. I just discovered the Tube Zone --> Timmy for a heavy lead sound.