Favorite Pedals for a Strat + EL-84 (or Goodsell S17) Amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mmasters, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Looking to get another pedal for my goodsell EL-84 amp. I play a strat primarily. So far I've been using a TS-9 as a boost - it's cool for certain applications but I'm looking to get some more variety to the sound. Anybody found any particularly magical pedals for this combo, OD, boost or whathaveyou?

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Zendrive worked wonderfully . .as did the Landgraff MO-D

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

My 900 series Marshall has EL-84's in it with the YJ's. I like a boost in front (Bullet Boost) and Modded Boss GE-7 works good too.

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

MI Audio Blues Pro...I will sing praises to this pedal (especially with Strats) to the end of my days :)

5. minjason

minjason Member

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

OCD, Pedaworx Cactus Crunch and Menatone KOB, work well with my Strat and Dr Z Maz 18

7. cugel

cugel Member

hot cake with presence all the way off and drive on about 12-2pm gives wonderful fun stuff in a 18watter with single coils

8. magnus02

magnus02 Member

i too run a strat through my super 17 and the best ive found as a transparent boost to or slight overdrive is the keeley katana. it really truly sounds exactly like a cranked goodsell but takes it a little further than it can on its own. really impressive. i also run a srb808+ which is a modded ts9 which is nice and a siegmund microtube doubledrive which is finicky but manages to add both a cleaner channel with the gain set real low, then i use the bypass to let the goodsell do my slight breakup sound, then i use the boost on the doubledrive to act as a high gain setting. this works great and gives me a 3 channel setup. barber overdrives work well too... just my opinions though

9. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Been considering a RC booster and possibly a keeley katana but after a lot of reading I'm getting the sense the best standalone pedals for the goodsell in particular are either a Klon Centaur or Gaspedals Carb.

10. dave s

dave s Member

Don't discount the Eternity. Current rig (VOX amps) is being used with an Eternity and the RC Boost to kick it up a notch. Great results with EL84 amps.

dave

11. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

im using a deluxe tele into an el84 amp, and was using an 87' strat ultra for all of last year. as my drive pedal, which i still use, i use the ac booster by exotic, real creamy overdrive, ts-808 clone.

12. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

13. meterman

meterman Member

The early Super 17 I had didn't have a ton of headroom and got overdriven and compressed fairly quickly. If they are all like that, I would recommend a TIM as it does not add much if any compression and really brings out the best of a pushed amp...

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

On my small board I have a Bad Bob, a Honey Bee and a BB Preamp. This board works well with an AC30 (in fact any amp I've ever tried it with). I can use them seperately or even all three at the same time. One of the best rigs I've ever owned.

Other combinations that have worked for me are

Klon>Tim>SD9

RC Booster>Timmy>Xactone POD

15. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

I personally dig the Creation Audio Labs Mk 4.23 - the most transparent clean boost I've ever heard - ever. Sounds amazing w/ my Nash Strat/Lollars in front of Super 17 Mark Three s/n #0000.

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Addrock Not So Ol' Yeller at 18 volts.

17. Ray1960

Ray1960 Member

I can only recommend what I use and that's strats and an OCD into a timmy then into my Goodsell Super17 which by the way has cured me of gassing for another amp since the day I bought it.

18. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

You're already doing the compressed mid heavy thing with the TS-9, so I'd suggest a Timmy or Tim. Basically it's almost the opposite of the TS (open sounding uncompressed, and transparent), but in the same gain range.