Favorite Pedals to pair with a Tweed Champ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RYAN1987M, Oct 22, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I am curious to get a feel for pedals that people enjoy when paired with a Tweed Champ.

I personally love the sound of Tweed Champs and I think they are quite versatile despite being so simple (and having just a single volume knob!). With that said though, a traditional Tweed Champ with an 8" speaker can be a bit picky about what pairs well with it.

I've found my Fender '57 Custom Champ to be a great pedal platform! I think most pedals sound wonderful through it. But I'm curious to see what others think? What pairs well with your Tweed Champ?

2. RYAN1987M

And, before it happens…"The whole point of a 5W amp is to crank it" and "You don't need OD pedals with a Champ"…
    1. 5W through an 8" speaker is very loud! Yes, I can crank the volume up to 12 without blowing out the windows of my house…but I think many would be shocked by the sheer volume that such a tiny amp can produce.
    2. I think the most ideal natural overdriven sounds are at about 6 or 7 on the dial (and it's still very loud at that level). I think a lot of people feel that many famous songs were recorded with a Tweed Champ on 12…but I'd venture to guess that those famously crunchy tones were achieved with the knob set below 8.
    Anyways, I guess my point is this - for the sake of your eardrums, it can still make sense to use an OD pedal with a Tweed Champ!

middy likes this.
  3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Generally speaking, I've found that just about any low gain, bright overdrive is a good fit.

GeorgeNada, tonedover and RYAN1987M like this.
  4. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

I thought my Klon KTR sounded really good through a Tweed amp. Also a Way Huge Red Llama MkII.

coltonius and RYAN1987M like this.
  5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Smallsound/Bigsound Mini is awesome with my tweed Champ. It literally can sound just like the amp cranked louder. It is such an underrated pedal.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    johnetone, stonecabin and RYAN1987M like this.
  6. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

I think anything without too much bass or with good control over low end works well - KoT/PoT, Timmy, OD11, yellow spiral, Klones, gain changer have all worked well for me.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Surprisingly Diezel pedals, Herbert or VH4. I'm not kidding. You need to set the gain and volume low but crank everything else. EQ, deep, presence all the way up.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Member

AMEN! I’ve had a Tungsten Mosaic II, which is basically a 5F1/5F2 with a tone control and 12” speaker at 5 watts, for a few years now. That thing is LOUD. I swapped the specialty Tungsten/Weber speaker for a Greenback, this cut the volume a bit and some of the boomy lows. Swapping a 6K6 for the 6V6 lowers output a bit and ODs the power section at lower settings.

As far as pedals go, an EQD Crimson Drive sounds great into it. It toes the line between an OD, dirty TB, and rolled back FF...one of my all-time favorites. The Benson Preamp has been a revelation. It has a very Tweedy breakup character and the touch is incredible. A truly inspiring pedal.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

my klone, my ge fuzz face, my ge treble booster and tubescreamer style all seem to have varying degrees of success through my mod’d champion, which is not to full champ specs but in the neighborhood

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

11. c7sus

c7sus Member

KLON > RM Voodoo Vibe > Victoria 512 sounds pretty sexy.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

So true! I had a ‘57 Custom Champ for a while. It’s a small amp! 8” speaker in a very compact cabinet (also had a Vic 518 which is same basic amp but cabinet is a fuse bit bigger on that one). But wow can that thing get loud! I was shocked how much sound it put out when cranked. Sounded amazing but it was amazingly loud for such a small box.

I liked my Timmy with it.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

I don't own a Tweed, but a '79 Silverface one. The Benson Preamp sounds really good with it, and it is also great to stack fuzzes with it. I recently got a EQD Crimson Drive, and it sounds very good with the Champ too.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  14. RYAN1987M

I'd really like to try the Benson Preamp I think! I just hope the overall voice of the pedal isn't too bassy.

15. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

Into my champ, I've tried...

Ibanez TS9
    Mad Professor Sweet Honey
    MXR Distortion plus
    EHX Soul Food
    Joyo Sweet Baby
    Greer Southland
    Source Audio LA Lady

So far, my favorite (tele into a champ) has been the Soul Food.
    Believe it or not.

I also keep a big box EHX Holy Grail on pretty much all the time.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    RYAN1987M likes this.
  16. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Member

The Benson has been a total game changer for me. I essentially treat it like the amp, and my amp more like a PA. I run the amp cleanish, set the Benson for some medium crunch, and run boosts or fuzzes into the Benson. It has a subtle, but effective bass control. Rolling back the bass and trimming the treble a bit gives it more of a British voicing.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. RYAN1987M

I'm really loving the Mad Professor Supreme through my '57 Champ - an excellent and versatile pairing!

Tuolotupa likes this.
  18. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Anything by Barber

Jim Marciano likes this.
  19. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

If you've got a Tube Screamer type pedal, try gain rolled completely off with volume and tone to taste.

20. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

I like the Hudson Broadcast with a Tweed - the gritty breakup characteristics are similar; you can run the Broadcast as a clean boost to really get the amp cooking; and the HPF is great at being able to dial the guitar's low end back just a smidge to really fine-tune the amount of low end flub going on. :)

RYAN1987M likes this.