Favorite Phaser, and Why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Mainly played clean or overdriven?
    Placed in front of after ODs?
    I need one...not too subtle...which one?

2. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

The Moogerfooger 12-stage phaser

I run mine in the effects loop of my Rivera in stereo. There is none other quite like it. You can dial in anything! It is a bit on the pricey side but it was worth every penny. I use it both clean and overdriven and since it's in the effects loop it is post distortion. I'll never need another phaser!

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The EH Small Stone

I have had a Pigtronix EP-1, a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, a Lovepedal Vibe, and a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe. All were great in their own way, but none had the mojo of my old (1974) Small Stone. It sits proudly astride my pedalboard which sports nothing but "boutique" pedals, and holds its own!

I mainly play it clean, unless I feel like rockin' some Trower.

It goes before my OD's - first pedal after my Teese Picture Wah (Yum!...)

It can be subtle or not, your choice...

4. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i think one of the most organic and thick phasers is the red witch moon phasers...

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

Best Ever - Mutron Phaser II (available on ebay)
    Runner up- Ross Phaser (like a phase 90 but with depth knob)
    Current favorite - Home Brew Electronics Psilocybe (has Phase 90 tone, small stone tone, chorus-like tones, univibe-like tones, small, affordable, true bypass)
    Honorable mention - EH Small Stone, MXR Phase 90

I own all of these so this is a fair comparison.

Caveat to the Mutron - I never got to try the Mutron Biphase, it's probably better, but who can afford one.

And I hear the Moog 12-stage is awesome but I can't spare the space on my board.

6. Damon

Damon Member

I haven't done a heck of a lot of phaser testing, but I love my MXR script Phase 45!

It doesn't dominate the signal, works well with other effects, adding a chewy swishy character. Here's an example, SIB analog Echodrive -> MXR Phase 45 -> Traynor spring reverb: http://www.artifactaudio.com/EPV1.mp3

7. James Knox

James Knox Member

Home Brew Electronics Psilocybe - AWESOME!

Clean, quiet, Subtle or SeaSick Worble. Two toggle switches give GREAT versitility.

I use it clean AND distorted, AFTER OD's. I have have a MojoVibe before OD and the Psilo or an Arion SCH1 after OD's.

8. covert

covert Member

Best I ever had was a Mu Tron Phasor, not the Phasor II. It was stolen.
    TC Electronics with a selection of stages is pretty good.
    I quite dig the barber pole settings on the current Boss model.

I usually run my modulation stuff before the fuzz, but sometimes after is the right sound.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I have the TC XII phaser & it sounds great before or after the OD & so I'm always going back & forth. I just got the EXH flanger hoax which locks the phasing/flanging together & you can make some complex sounds with it....

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Another for the HBE Psilocybe, to me its more organic than the RW. And it does all kinds of juicy phasing. Its just a fun effect!

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I had a love/hate going on the the Red Witch...I've bought and sold it three times!
    I like the subtleness in it, and it certainly was lush, but once in a blue moon I want that EVH-ish, take over, thick, phase sound.

SO HBE then?

12. James Knox

James Knox Member

You might want to check it out - the thing I love about it is you can go from a beautiful "sheen" where you can hardly tell that the effect is on to a "seasick" warble that can give you vertigo :D Is that why it is GREEN? BTW, It also gives good "whoosh".

Cool and FUN pedal...

13. eknapier

eknapier Member

I'll have to throw in a vote for the roger mayer voodoo vibe, i can go from subtle mxr-style phasing, to over the top univibe. I place it after my OD/Distortions for a more synthy-crazy sound. Plus you get a nice tremolo and natural vibrato for some modulation variation.

14. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

MXR Phase 90. Cheap and only one knob. Here's where it lies in the chain: MSD Silvermachine wah -> Pearl Octaver -> MXR Phaser -> MXR Boost -> Kingsley Deluxe 30. I use it when I'm mostly clean or moderately crunchy. It's a bit of a tone sucker, but not terrible.

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

I can confirm EVERY word of this. You get "sheen", you get "seasick", and with both switches to the middle and your favorite OD on you get that heavy rock phaser sound. Whooooosh...

16. cameron

cameron Member

I too own and quite like the HBE Psilocybe. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is how cool phasers sound when placed after a fuzz. Especially fuzzes that emphasize overtones, such as an upper octave. Put an Octavia or something like that in front of a phaser and all sorts of fun things happen.

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The original t.c. electronic phaser was/is great (out of production, though).

18. Wooley

Wooley Member

I actually have my Psilocybe phaser right in front of my fuzz on my pedalboard, but have never tried them together, just cause they're not contemporaries. You think I should move it to right after, and give it a shot?

19. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

can you get seasick sounds out of the moog???

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Shannon Phaser/Uniphase.

The Uniphase is a little more univibeish and throbby than the standard Shannon Phaser though not quite univibe. It just gives you a little more throb than a general 4 stage phaser. I only currently own the uniphase.

It's incredibly smooth. It's a 4 stage phaser so it's familliar and feels right but then I can get dark or bright with the color knob and the Volume Control allows it to control how much you get essentially. Unity is easily found at 3/4's.

Simple, professional design, all jacks on top so it fits on the Pedal board and is easy to hook up the power, knob spacing good enough for me to control with my feet, powdercoated... professional in every since of the word.

It just does exactly what I want it to do.

I've always wanted to try the Moog's I'm sure they are fantastic.

I tried an HBE and it just didn't do it for me and I had a Boss PH3 for a couple years, but 4 stage phase 90ish is what I like and the Shannon is my pick because of the control, smooth sound, and flexibility.

It's very normal sounding though so if you want something crazy, this is not really it. They are out of production anyway.