Favorite Pickups in an SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chandyland, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I'm planning on having a lot of modifications/customizations done to my SG at some point, including swapping out the pots. I'm toying with the idea of just having the whole electrical harness pulled out through the pickup routs (if that's even possible) and having an entirely new one built. This would mean new pickups and an RS Guitarworks upgrade kit.

The current pickups in there are Burstbuckers 1 and 3, but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend swapping them out. So, what are your favorite pickups for an SG and why? :huh

Thanks in advance.

2. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

No one has a favorite pickup for the SG?

3. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

I've got a Duncan '59n/Custom 5 combination in my Standard. While I've often considered how other pickups would work out, this combination continues to remind me that I don't need to bother finding out. Very versatile across most music styles. Good clarity clean, full and rich driven. I suppose at some point I'll experiment, but it certainly isn't a priority.

Good luck with your search. What styles of music do you play?

4. flea

flea Member

This thread interests me, I just got an SG Standard a few months ago, and only use the bridge pickup. I find the neck pickup can get a little too muddy. Interested to hear what people like.

5. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I like the 490/498 combo in my SG. This puts me in the minority for TGP SG owners. Burstbuckers sounded thin in the SG (they need the heft of a LP to sound nice). '59s sounded nice but not a lot of character. The 490/498 gives you plenty of bite in the bridge position and a nice growl in the neck position. The middle position is an awesome scooped straty sound that I've not gotten with any other pickups on any double HB guitar I've demoed.

6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

A friend has a 69 SG Custom with T-Tops which I thought sounded great even though I'm generally not a fan of T-tops.

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've kept the 490/498s in mine so far, too. I'm going to try some 500k volume pots to see if it brightens up the neck pickup a little, though. I'm just a little afraid to mess with it, because it actually sounds good most of the time. I like the thickness of the neck pickup playing solos high up the neck w/ gain, and I also love the middle position. I can usually just EQ the amp and pedals around it, which you should probably do anyways.

That said, I'd love to try some '57 Classics in my guitar. I enjoyed them in other guitars I've tried.

8. Trea

Trea Member

I've tried quite a few and my favorite by far is the Texas/BBQ set by Rio Grande.

9. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

'57 classics. I am not a rocking-humbucker type, and these stay clear and direct unless pushed hard.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Other than stock, a super distortion or a JB at the bridge.

11. sliberty

sliberty Member

P90's. Nuff said.

12. ultra

ultra Member

T-Tops or equivalents

13. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

This ^ I had a SG for years, didnt really like the stock pups. Finally changed the bridge out for a JB, it was like a new guitar.

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

works for me. i put the gfs mean 90's in and love em.

15. jeffnmoe

jeffnmoe Supporting Member

I've had 490/498s, '57 Classics, SD Antiquities with multiple magnet swaps and the WCR American Steele set (Godwood bridge/Crossroads neck) in mine, and the WCRs have been my favorites.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have two SGs. One has P-90s the other 57 Classics. Both sound great. Another combination I haven't tried but one I think would work would be 57 Classic neck and Pearly Gates bridge.

17. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

57 classics or P94s sound great in them, imo.

18. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

+ another vote for the t-tops.

19. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

In my "perfect world" I would see all TGPers agreeing to eliminate the above tag line, as well as "end thread" or "/thread" (or whatever the "secret code" version is) from usage here. Every time I see it employed, it seems so smugly dismissive and/or invalidating of any opinion that may run contrary to the post-er who employs it. I do realise that generally the intent of the user is something like "this is what I really like" or "this is all I want to use", but it really seems to scream, "Anyone who considers any other option is a moron". Of course, I am the TGPer who has proposed a moritorium on the terms "hate", "hating" and "hater", so whaddya expect... Carry on, as you will!

20. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

57s in mine