• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Favorite Plexi Clones under 50w?

Daniel Travis

50w Top Hat emplexador gets my #1 vote.

It's the best "greatest hits" Marshall amp I've ever played. It can even pull off convincing bluesbreaker and 800 tones, and the master volume is one of the best I've ever played.

After that, probably a Germino Masonette or a Roccaforte 45 watt.

sheikyerbouti

Silver Supporting Member

When I was building my Signature amp with Stephens Amplification, I was particularly concerned with the way the business and moved in the last 10 years and where it is going in the next 10. Big amps are really becoming dinosaurs in that most places don't want you to be that loud. Even in places that are loud they are often using the PA and want the stage sound to be lower for a more even mix. Now of course there are occasional out door shows or rare exceptions, but for most gigging musicians who play 10 times a month they encounter this more often than not. Part of the magick of a plexi is pushing both the amp and the speakers, ad if you can't do that it just doesn't deliver. So how can you make a rig that can be pushed without losing you the gig?
I want one! What model do I ask for? :)

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
My Germino Masonette is probably my all time favorite amp after many many amps.

I have a Masonette and a Germino 2x12 w/GBs incoming next week. I need a small volume plexi rig. I had one before and loved it, just sounded too small next to my old Headroom 100 rig I had, but the Masonette's volume is perfect for 99% of the gigs I'll ever do anymore.

BTW, is that the 20" head cab in your pic?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Masonette and a Germino 2x12 w/GBs incoming next week. I need a small volume plexi rig. I had one before and loved it, just sounded too small next to my old Headroom 100 rig I had, but the Masonette's volume is perfect for 99% of the gigs I'll ever do anymore.

Yes. That is the 20” head box from Germino. Not sure who is making them for him now.

effectsman

I don’t know whether its too late for you too investigate, but I owned a valence panel 2x12 that had similar dimensions to the Germino cabs. I tried all sorts of Celestions in it, but I found it too deep sounding, which made it slightly boomy in the low end, and not ”forward” enough sounding, especially at lower volumes. When I could really pump some volume through it at an outdoor gig it sounded big, but at lower volumes I just couldn’t gel with it.

I found what I thought was an improvement when I played a 2x12 which was only 10.5” deep, rather than the 12” deep mine was. The cab builder also agreed with what I heard as well and he thought for lower volume the shallower cabinet had less boom and depth to the low end.

Might be something to consider....

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I've had the same cab I have incoming, I always liked it a lot. For years I used Kerry Wright diagonal 2x12s, those have a lot of bottom end, but not in a negative way. Obviously, it depends on speakers, venues, amps, etc.

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
This has been a great thread. Has anyone ever tried the Tone King Royalist/Majesty model? Supposed to range from JTM45 to plexi and everything in between.

I have a Bartel Starwood that’s outstanding so I can imagine when Mark was at Tone King, he made great sounding amps.
I‘ve seen from your Insta that you own a Starwood and a Mercury V. So:

Which one does the Plexi thing best?
Which one is the better amp in general?

Thanks.

Last edited:

pinkfuzz65

Silver Supporting Member
Ceriatone Yeti. Can't recommend it enough. I had a Dirty Shirley Mini which i sold because of my Yeti. The Yeti has the Era switch that goes from JTM to Dave Murray with the flip of a switch and you can sculpt your tone with the bright cap switches. It can really do heavy crunch or just bluesy stuff. Sounds great at lower volumes too.

The Mini Shirley is also amazing and can really nail 80s rock and can get heavier with a pedal.

RTogs

Gold Supporting Member
I‘ve seen from your Insta that you own a Starwood and a Mercury V. So:

Which one does the Plexi thing best?
Which one is the better amp in general?

Thanks.
The Merc V was better at getting more high gain and plexi IMO. The Bartel sound quality was amazing. Never felt like a combo amp.

I’m currently using a Louis Electric KR12 and Park Little Rock 18. They are 2 of the best amps I’ve owned.

RTogs

Gold Supporting Member
Can these do the lower end of the gain range well?
The Park is incredibly clean into a lot of gain so yes. Broad spectrum. I love the park bc it also has some thicker JTM45 tones that I love.

The LE similar but not as glassy of cleans. Haven’t played Germino but looked at grabbing the lead 35 at one point.

mallcorn

My favorite is the Germino Club 40, mine always sounds great, big, fat and takes pedals tremendously.

I also have a Lead 55LV and it’s fussy with pedals, bright and at times brash. HOWEVER...Plugging in a LP or SG with PAF’s and cranking it into a Greenback loaded cabinet is GLORIOUS!
Is plugging in a LP with PAF's into a Club 40 and cranking it into a Greenback loaded cabinet Glorious too? I am almost ready to buy a Germino and have narrowed it down to either the Club 40 or 55LV.

therhodeo

The Park is incredibly clean into a lot of gain so yes. Broad spectrum. I love the park bc it also has some thicker JTM45 tones that I love.

The LE similar but not as glassy of cleans. Haven’t played Germino but looked at grabbing the lead 35 at one point.
Sorry was asking about the Wizard specifically.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom