Favorite pure nickel strings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewhound, Dec 20, 2005.

1. brewhound

brewhound Member

Based on Jeff Fiorentino's (jfrocks.com) recommendation for getting a good VH tone I want to try some pure nickel 9-gage strings. He recommends the Fender 150XL's, but there are a lot of mixed reviews on the Fender strings. I searched around and found pure nickel strings from Gibson, GHS, Ernie Ball, DR and some others I had never heard of like SIT. Any opinions on which are the best? I don't mind buying a couple different ones but I don't want to have to get all of them.

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I have had good results with DR pure blues and even better results with Snake Oil Brand Strings.

3. A440

A440 Supporting Member

SOB's are excellent

I just got a PRS strung with their nickel 10's. not bad either

4. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I also use DR Pure Blues 10 -46. I have had very good luck with these strings. They feel great and have a full rich sound on all my guitars!

Joe

5. davebc

davebc Member

I'm really looking forward to trying the Snake Oil's, but I'm still incredibly blown away with the Kendrick pure nickels, very loud, extremely resonant, balanced, and you CAN'T kill em.

6. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I like the DR Pure Blues myself, although I really want to try some SOS. In my experience, the Gibsons got gunked up and the intonation got worse much quicker than the DRs. I've tried the Fenders also and they were fine, but I prefer the DRs. They feel good, sound good, have a decent string life, and keep their intonation well over their string life.

David

7. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Hi Brewhound,

What slowburn said.

I've used & had very good results with DR Pure Blues & Pyramid (both the green & blue packs) over a numebr of years, but after trying Dean Farley's "Snake Oil Brand" around 18 months or so ago I changed to them, ...& won't be going back.

SOB strings have everything I could wish for in a string - exceptional tone, great feel, playability, & very long life.:AOK

Snake Oil Brand strings website: -
    http://www.sobstrings.net/

Good luck!

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

I like the Gibson reissue strings but they're getting hard to find. I change my strings often, so I've never noticed any gunking up or intonation problems. 2 gigs is all I use a set for, maybe 2 weeks if I'm not gigging. I like new sounding strings.

9. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Try the Snake Oils. You'll go a lot longer between string changes.

10. slowburn

this is true. I don't play as often as I would like, so I only used to change my d'addarios every 2.5 months, then my dr pure blues every 4 months or so. so far I've had the same set of snake oils on since June 17th (that's 6 months, 3 days for those mathematically impaired) and still sound pretty damn good. Right about now I can tell that I might need to change them sometime next month, but that's still almost twice as long as comparable pure nickel strings from DR. of course I have extremely non-acidic hands, I hardly sweat when I play, but I also never clean my strings after playing them, I don't even wipe them down.

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Pure Blues .011's

12. brewhound

brewhound Member

So far it seems the consensus is that the SOB's are great and the DR's are good. Now which ones suck?

13. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I found DR Pure Blues to be stiff feeling. Also, they were not near as full and rich sounding as the SOB's.

14. slowburn

in alphabetical order within categories:

great
    DR Pure Blues (great tone)
    Snake Oil Brand (great tone, lasts a bit longer than DR)

good
    D'Addario (good price/quality value)
    Dean Markley (little more variety in terms of gauge combinations)
    Gibson Vintage Reissue (for me at least has some quality control issues as far as holding intonation)

just didn't work for me
    ernie ball slinkys (always broke)
    sit (didn't like how they sounded)

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

DR Pure Blues 10's, 11's or 12's, depends on my mood and how good of shape my arms and hands are in. I have REALLY acidic skin, so my strings wear out REALLY quick. I usually have to change mine every 3-4 weeks at least. I've tried almost every type of strings, including Pyramids (which sucked), and none last as long as my DR Pure Blues. I would like to put the Snake Oils to the test, but I don't see a way to order them through the website. My guess is that with my acidic sweat, I'll eat them up just as quickly as the DR's.

16. brewhound

brewhound Member

A guy over on the HC forums has a web store set up as an authorized dealer for snake oils. I think it is called zepman.net. The snake oils are a little more than I can justify at my level, though. I'm definately going to try a set of the DR blues. How about the GHS nickel rockers? Anyone try these?

17. A440

A440 Supporting Member

dean farley is a mod here and also makes those great SOB strings !
    you can buy them from him direct. great service!

does D'add even do a pure nickel roundwound string ?

GHS nickel rockers are not quite roundwounds and therefore darker sounding.
    you may like this, depending on the guitar your using...

18. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I'm a home player these days and don't invest a lot in gear. I actually spend less on Snake Oils over a year compared to "ordinary" strings. Even if I was paying more a year for SOB's, it would only be a few dollars and they really do sound that much better.:cool: It's a relatively inexpensive way to improve your tone. Look through these forums for all the expensive ways to improve tone and think about it that way. Snake Oils are one of the few bargains.

19. oxtone

oxtone Member

Best stings I've ever used in 35 years of playing are the:

Everly Music B-52 Rockers

These are made from "Alloy 52", which is 52% Nickle. They sound great right from the box, and last a good, long time.

I get them from: www.stringitup.com

Check 'em out! :AOK

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Snake Oils are the ones. Dean offers superior service as well. AND if you want a BJF pedal he is the man. I got mine CRAZY fast from him!