Favorite rack reverbs ($150 or less)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Phats, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Phats

Phats Senior Member

What are some of your favorite rack reverb units that can be had for $150 or so used?

2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I've only started recently, but I've got an Alesis Midiverb4 and a Lexicon MPX G2.

The Midiverb is great for it's Hall and Reverse modes. The option to add chorus (via the Swirl parameter) is very nice and from what I've read, the modulation is pre-reverb, which produces a very smooth effect. The EQ controls are also very nice for creating clouds and it's nice to have those combo programs and the ability to cascade one into the other. I got mine for $135 new.

The Lexicon sounds like it's just got more balls. The Hall and Plate reverbs sound very complex and smooth. I don't think they approach PCM territory, but they are very nice. This could be because one entire processor is dedicated to reverb only, with a second processor dedicated to other effects. I am able to create more complex stuff with this one, as I can run modulation pre/post the reverb, add gain (Mangled Verb!), EQ, pitch up some shimmer, chorus/detune/flange/Lexicon-specific effects, etc. This one was also pretty cheap used, but I forgot what I paid for it. Less than $150.

If I had to keep one, I'd keep the MPX, but the Alesis has a certain quality and I'd never want to rid myself of.

3. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Guest

Hands down best cheap verb.. I'm not going to tell because they sometimes show up on ebay.

4. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Lexicon LXP-1 or 15 for that price range...

5. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I thought the reverbs (and delays) were the best features in the Rocktron Intellifex.

6. BWebb

BWebb Member

I know Behringer gets a bad rap, but they got it right with the V-Verb. You would have to buy used though as I don't believe they make them anymore. Killer sounding rackmount unit that sounds way more expensive than it actually is.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/REV2496.aspx

7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I've definitely heard some great stuff come out of the Intellifex.

Cool to see the V-Verb mentioned here, as I've never seen that one. Looks like you can add either chorus or random modulation to the reverb. If you can apply that same random mod to the delays and add EQ, that might also make a very nice tape emulator.

8. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

:huh why post at all?

9. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

+100. a fantastic unit. The ducking delays are incredible for guitar and vox.

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Anything Lexicon is a mile better than the rest.

11. -X-

-X- Member

Used RockTron XPression.

12. jimfist

jimfist Member

Lexicon LXP-1, Rocktron Intellifex

13. mouzer

mouzer Member

Not a dedicated reverb box but the TC Electronic G Major has a great reverb IMO and can easily be had for that kind of budget. You also get the bonus of all the other great effects, channel strip features (EQ/Comp/Gate), some cool routing options and a pretty good physical I/O.

14. Phats

Phats Senior Member

I had a MV4. Good verb, I didn't like the bypass tone and I'm mostly a pedal user and I had the rack just on the floor. I could have made a TB loop for it.

Does the Lexicon have a bypass option? How is the bypass tone/noise floor?

15. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Sorry I missed this!

I have not plugged directly into the MPX. I use it in parallel (in sort of a mixer setup). Also do the same with the Alesis, so I don't have any issues with bypass at all. I'll try to do direct plug test, although I wish my ears were as developed as some others here. I don't hear "issues" with Eventides or Strymons at all.

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

For that price point, I'd go with a used Intellifex.