favorite rock guitar under $1000

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TimH, Apr 18, 2005.

1. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

I'm looking for a modern rock type guitar. I have about $1000 to spend. New or used is fine. I already have a strat so no "super strats", no stock teles...that SC sound is too thin for what I want.

2. darial

darial Guest

I would be inclined to say a Hamer studio custom used. Depending on exactly what you mean by "Modern rock" a pickup switch might be in order.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

We get a lot of Schecter and Ibanez into the studio, for modern rock projects. Pop an EMG into one of those, plug it into a Recto, tune it down to "Drop C" and you're ready to rock.

Loudboy

4. echo008

echo008 Guest

Hi, I am a Bass player but nonetheless I have heard very good things about Carvin.

5. emjee

emjee Member

I would also recommend the Hamer. They just rock all the way around. It comes STOck with Duncans. JB in the neck and a '59
    in the bridge.

Matt

6. T-bone

T-bone Member

I would go with a used Hamer or a used G&L.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  7. aquadog

aquadog Member

I'll second that.

8. MattB

MattB Member

Hamer Studio or Special. You can get a used special for well under $1000.00

9. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Hamer - for what you have to spend you can get a hell of a guitar if you look around.

10. MattB

MattB Member

Here is my Studio Custom. Way over 1K but I just love to show her off :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

darchirnoj and sixesandsevens like this.
  11. Neill

Neill Member

Godin... the whole line is rad. I think McLaughlin is playing one currently. The LG series is particularly cool.

12. -kk-

-kk- Member

+1 for the LG, again it depends on what you mean by modern rock, maybe swap out the bridge soapie for a bucker?

13. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

what do you all think of the yamaha AES920 or SG2000?

14. mischultz

mischultz Member

I'm onboard with the Hamer recommendation. Their necks don't quite fit me, but the quality is consistently there.

Another that doesn't get frequent mention is GMP. A used Pawn Shop should run under $1000 with very solid build, Seymour Duncans and a different flavor (more to my preference, but hey, it's about options) neck carve.

Michael

15. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

i've read a lot of rave reviews of Hamer but never owned one...just bought one yesterday from a GP forumite...hope to get it soon...

i've had several Carvins and highly recommend them...

also Deans are great guitars...their discontinued Czech made models are superb, ridiculously reasonably priced, but hard to find....the USA Pro series are great players without fancy accoutrements...

16. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Really nicely finished and terrific set neck design. Around $600 on buy it now the eBay. Should be able to get it for very near that price at your dealer. No carbon used but still a very well made and playing guitar.

[​IMG]

17. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

It's true that Godin's are the best bang for the buck guitars made. The neck feels a bit different though, but breaks in well after use.

18. John C

John C Supporting Member

If you're looking for a set-neck rock guitar, I'll also vote for Hamer. I wish I had my '96 Studio (purchased as NOS in '98) back. However, older Hamers had the '59 in the NECK and the JB in the BRIDGE position. My Studio had that pickup set, the Wilkinson wrap-around bridge, and a tummy cut on the back. It went off in a fit of "real Les Paul" GAS, but the LP was a dissapointment; the Hamer was a better all-around guitar.

Things to note on Hamers - sometime in late 2001-2002 they stopped using the JB in the bridge position on Studios and went with '59s in both positions. I also think they might have changed the string spacing around that time as well - the older ones feel more like my Fender-style guitars and the new ones feel more like Gibsons.

19. data187

data187 Member

i like either the musicman axis or axis super sport depending on your choice of trem or a peavey wolfgang. these guitars rock and can be had used for way less than $1000. the fret work on the musicmans are the best i've ever played, better than many guitars double it's price.

if you want to go super cheap, try a used charvel model series guitar. these are made in japan, have excellent craftsmanship/materials. the only down side is that you are most likely going to be stuck with a kahler trem.