Favorite SG bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by evildik, Dec 22, 2018.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Well, I own a SG now, a cheap Epiphone SG Special, but non the less a SG, and I plan swapping the stock pickups at some point with a DiMarzio PAF 59 or PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

The reason why I want this specific combination is that I once owned a Westbury Standard, which is the absolutely most amazing guitar I ever played, still regret selling it, and it had a DiMarzio PAF in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Not only did the Wetsbury feel perfect in my hands, but it also looked great and sounded amazing.

Also it was somewhat inspired by the SG design, like a bit more refined and sophisticated look, but clearly inspired by the SG, so I would guess the outcome of equipping an SG with the same pickups would be much the same: an amazing tone.

I recommend the DiMarzio Super Distortion as bridge pickup in your SG!

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

You can add treble to your bridge pickup simply by raising the polepieces up 2 or 3 full turns then lower the pickup a bit if needed.... I do this mostly on neck pickups to add treble, but it’s even more effective if treble is needed on bridge pickups cause the polepieces are closest to the bridge

shane8 and Whiskeyrebel like this.
  3. drewl

drewl Member

The original P90 in my '65 Special doesn't qualify, but it is an angry mofo compared to the sweet singing original PAF in my '63 Standard.

Both beautiful in their own way.

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

This is sound advice.

That said that though, I like the sound of my 498T best with the pole screws level to the cover and the pickup as high as it will go without choking the strings.

5. Mincer

Mincer Member

Another vote for the Custom, or the Saturday Night Special.

6. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Member

Forgive me for not sticking to topic here...………………………. not the bridge PU, but I placed a Pete Biltoft Firebird PU in the neck position of my SG. Pure heaven !!!

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

My recently acquired 2018 SG standard is also equipped with 57 Classics, and I have the same opinion on the bridge pup. I had a CS-346 for a number of years and the 57 Classics were way way too dark for my tastes in that guitar. I was pleased to find that the neck pup in my SG sounds fantastic, but the bridge is a tad meh.

8. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Wolfetone T top replicas are the good stuff.

Macleod likes this.
  9. shane8

shane8 Member

……… or turn up the treble on your amp :|

10. mcv

mcv Member

Another vote for the duncan custom sh5 here!

Burt-Reynolds and Mincer like this.
  11. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

SD Custom with an A8 magnet swap.

12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Turning up the treble doesn't remove low end mud, it just adds more top end, also whenever you EQ your signal you change it's basic character and tone balance somewhat, and in my experience if you don't do it right, which is not all that easy, there's a high chance of it ending up sounding somewhat out of balance and not quite right, like your tone looses some of it's depth and width, though this is mainly a problem when using graphic equalizers with narrow Q width for the individual adjustable frequency bands.

Personally I just fixed some rather crappy stock pickups, especialy the neck pickup was rather bad and muddy, in my Epiphone SG Special, inspired by an advise in this thread concerning adjusting the adjustable pole pieces on one half of each humbucker.

Took a fair deal of time by the principle of trial and error and applying a bit of common sense to what my ears picked up to get it just right, but after having adjusted the crap out of the individual adjustable pole pieces of each pickup I obtained near perfection, which saves me for spending the 150$ I planed to use for a new set of quality pickups.

The catch though is that the tone is only perfectly balanced when both pickups are on in the middle position, which doesn't bother me though as I rarely have used any of the two pickups by them self.

Depending on the specific pickups in question it might be impossible to reach similar great results using this method to adjust the pickups for individual perfect tone balance.

I'd still say it is worth a shot though.

Otherwise I still stand by my advise of getting a DiMarzio Super Distortion as your new bridge pickup.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

You can get a Dimarzio Super Distortion for reasonable money that would be great for that guitar. I have had one in mine since they first came out. The Duncan JB would also work as well . The Dimarzio has more compression to it when driven hard in my opinion.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a 2017 SG, which came stock with 57 Classics and the printed circuit board for controls. I swapped the board for a Stewart McDonald 50s set and I got all kinds of brightness and articulation. Later I decided I wanted a little more output from the bridge, and installed a Gibson 498T. I got what I wanted and didn't lose the brightness either.

15. 6789

6789 Member

Replace the pots and caps - upgrade to something better quality. Wire it 50s style. If you still don’t like it put in dimarzio 36th anniversaries. 50s style wiring is key.

16. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Bareknuckle mule.