• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Favorite slightly bright PAF?

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Looking for an alternative to SD Antiquities...something slightly brighter, leaner and maybe a tad more punchy...

Suggestions?

groovington

I have a set of SD Seth Lovers on order. As far as reading comparisons between the SL and Antiquities, alot of people said the Seth Lovers were a little brighter, which is why I ordered them.

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
I've had good result with Fralin Pure PAFs. However, in an ES-335, I found Seth Lovers to be the fit.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
a good PAF will be a little bright. Therefore, the tone controls actually have use... Keep them on about 8 and go higher or lower when needed. I would talk to Wolfe at Wolfetone and see what he recommends. His stuff is the best.

Matt L

I have Seths in my SG, and I like the tone control backed off a little on the bridge....like 7-8. Previously, with the stock 498t, it was always on 10.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
If you can get past the name, the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon is a PAF type pickup that's moderate output and has a unique, bright and airy kind of sound that's very musical but has a bit of an edge to it. There is only a bridge model that's sold now, I think, but it does well in either position. I have one in the bridge in one guitar, and another guitar with the SD in the neck position. They both sound awesome, but with completely different characteristics. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet a set of two SD's in a medium to darker toned guitar would be very nice.

HughesP

I found unpotted pickups like wolfetone Dr. Vintage, or Seth lovers work quite well. You get more pick attack and transients with unpotted pickups which give more presence without necessarily needing to go too bright in overall character.

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
The brightest humbucker I've ever played is a Lollar El Rayo by a country mile.
I totally agree with this! I just replaced the El Rayo in my 72 Pawn Shop Special (bridge) with a JM Rolph 58 PAF/Zebra. The Rolph is much smoother with a more rounded tone, it is very articulate with good string seperation!

deluxe83

THIS

I found unpotted pickups like wolfetone Dr. Vintage, or Seth lovers work quite well. You get more pick attack and transients with unpotted pickups which give more presence without necessarily needing to go too bright in overall character.

Matt Novak

DiMarzio Tone Zone or PAF. I have both in two very different guitars (an Ibanez PGM500 and a Zemaitis) and they both sound bright to me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom