Favorite sounding caps and resistors

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Jan 7, 2004.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hello,
    I'm going to do the Tim Cowles mod to my Vibro-King. This involves replacing a couple of coupling and tone caps as well as a couple of resistors (most seem to be 1/2 watt)

I've heard many people say they prefer Mallory 150's for the tone stuff and Atoms for the coupling caps I've never heard anyone comment on resistors, any preferences?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. DanR

DanR Member

Do you mean Mallory 150's? I've read that some people prefer those to Sprague/Vishay Orange Drops for coupling, although some people prefer the latter. And I think the Atoms (again Sprague/Vishay) are electrolytics which are used for PS filtering and cathode bypass. As far as tone caps go, some people prefer silver mica over ceramic discs.

I really have no opinion myself because I have no experience in comparing them. I'm no expert. I think I know just enough to be dangerous :rolleyes:

DanR

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Dan, I did mean Mallory. That's what I get for typing before my morning cofee!

Anybody else?

4. SeanF

SeanF Member

I'm damn near tone-deaf when it comes to caps and resistors.

As I recall, the only point in the circuit where it really matters to use carbon comp resistors is on the plate load resistors; other than that, I stick to metal film, as they're the quietest. Apparently the carbon comps for plate loads add some personality to the sound.

As far as caps, I use Orange Drops and Mallories pretty much interchangeably; they both sound good.

5. DreamTone7

DreamTone7 Guest

Many different kinds of orange drops....and all will sound at least a little different. The orange drops can be mylar (polyester), polypropylene, or metalized versions of either one. Some will be multi-sectioned as well....but those are usually the higher-voltage ones, and I've never tried using them. The mallory 150s are metalized and are probably non-inductively wound...two things that would make them different from a vintage cap (like the old Astrons or such). If you want you're amp to sound vintage, stick with vintage caps and resistors (carbon comp)...there is a difference in sound. Use some NOS Cornell Dublier "Black Cats". For modern amps, all bets are off. A cap is just a tone tool....use it however you think it fits best. FWIW, Dumble used a lot of different makes of caps and resistors in his amps.....why do you think he did this if it doesn't make a difference?

6. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Could be he picked particular types and brands or

Maybe it was whatever he had around at the time?

I have heard all Dumbles sound different. Maybe random parts is just part of the "Mojo"