Favorite speaker in a 1x12 cab?

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, it's another "what's your favorite speaker" thread.

I need to put 16 ohm speakers in each of my 1x12 cabs. One's an EVH, the other is a Laney, which has a deeper sound than the EVH. I love the Vintage 30/G12H-30 pair in my 2x12 cab. But I'd like to get speakers for the 1x12's that'll work well either on their own, or if I run both 1x12's together. I play classic to hard rock. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

DrewB

G12H-30, but you should already know that. The frequencies are balanced just right, to my ears. I built a pair of Marshall 1933 clones and tried Greenbacks, Vintage 30s and G12H Anniversary speakers. The G12H Anniversary was the hands-down winner, and I wasn't the only one of that opinion.

EVM12Ls .. Responsive .. Tight, crisp bottom end .. Nice, broad mid representation .. Pleasing,.non-ice picky highs ..

I just love ElectroVoice's consistency .. Been using them for decades in my stuff .. I play lots of other different speakers and configurations by way of friends' gear/studio gear .. while I like some better than others .. I stick with EV because theyre versatile

71strat

For a really different speaker thats clean, clear and does everything from clean to mean is the Rawson Sparfield Starfinder.

Is a replica of the original Fane Cresendo A.

Is 100w x 100db 1w/1m and has the widest frequency response Ive seen on any speaker, let alone a guitar speaker.
30hz-16,000 hz.
Magnet is almost 1/3 more powerful than a JBL E120. 20,000 gauss vs 13,500. 2in voice coil.

Is heavier than either a JBL E120, or the EV12L. They dont show EV gauss, but Ill bet its no more powerful than the E120. May not be quite as powerful.
70fs/resonany frequency, so if you want it ported, all one has to do is figure out how to tune a box to 70fs. 71fs is not a candidate for porting, but 70fs is the starting point.

Magnatized on the original machine Fane used to charge the Cresendo A. If I remember correctly, the 12in Fane Cresendo A is the First 12in speaker to hit 100w x 100db in the late 60s. The Altec 417C was only 75w, and JBL D120F was lucky to be 60w. K120 was JBLs first 100w x 100db speaker. Altec 417H was the first Altec. Around 71-73. Fane did it in 68-69.

Remember the WEM Cabinets Pink Floyd/Gilmour used(s)?? Those are loaded with Fane Cresendo A

Starfinder weighs 20lbs+, and costs $370usd, which includes shipping.

Here's waht a Cresendo A sounds like. They also made a 15in Cresendo A, and are used in larger cabinets. Both also work as PA Speakers. Slaughter a JBL frequency response. No ice pick, no mud, but you will have to throw away your current amp EQ settings.

Also if I was going to use Modeling tech, this is the speaker Id use. Insanely versatile.

HOME | Rawson Sparfield

Last edited:
EVM12L , you will thank yourself later . :aok
Yupyup .. Theyre crazy consistent .. Can put virtually anything through them .. Sounds great .. for the most part, I am just not a Celestion guy. .. they work great in some applications (love Alnico Blues .. Golds are cool .. For the most part, Heritage series is cool - non-MIC) but not enough for me to call them versatile and install them in my cabs ..

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
Avatar/Fane H75. I love, love, love it in my closed-back 1x12s. All the guts and detail with plenty of tight low end to fill out the sound with a single driver.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Yupyup .. Theyre crazy consistent .. Can put virtually anything through them .. Sounds great .. for the most part, I am just not a Celestion guy. .. they work great in some applications (love Alnico Blues .. Golds are cool .. For the most part, Heritage series is cool - non-MIC) but not enough for me to call them versatile and install them in my cabs ..
All my cabinets are loaded with EV's and they sound awesome with any amp I choose to use from a 30w JTM45 to a 100w Soldano . :aok
The only Celestion speakers I still use is greenbacks in a 1960BX for that classic rock tone .

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
Avatar/Fane H75. I love, love, love it in my closed-back 1x12s. All the guts and detail with plenty of tight low end to fill out the sound with a single driver.
I just discovered these last night. Great price too. Which Celestion are they closest to? I'm most familiar with Celestions. I wonder how one of these would pair with the M75?

MissoulaGriz

The Avatar/Fane H75-M75 is a great pairing.
Another option is the Avatar Alnico A50. It’s one of my favorite speakers and sounds killer in an open or closed back 1x12.

I just discovered these last night. Great price too. Which Celestion are they closest to? I'm most familiar with Celestions. I wonder how one of these would pair with the M75?

Trending Topics