Favorite speaker w/ Matchless C30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 72Telecaster, Apr 13, 2016.

1. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting (back) a Ceriatone DZ30 that I foolishly sold about a year back and thinking through what speaker I want to put in the 1x12 cab I'll run it through. I remember loving the KTS-70 I paired with it the first time around, I currently have an ASW Elegante, but also love the Bad Cat Celestion and WGS Reaper 55hZ. Which of those would you choose and why? I play Teles mostly (WRHB or filtertron pups) and will run the amp fairly clean and use pedals for dirt.

2. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a Matchless DC30 and I really liked the stock celestion Matchless labeled speakers. IMO, that amp is designed to see that style of speaker. With the speakers you've listed, I would go for the either the Bad Cat Celestion or the Reaper. I used to have an Elegante, but I never played it with my old DC30. However, I did try it with my Clubman. Even in that instance, I preferred the Matchless Celestions. I just haven't ever been crazy about alnico speakers with Matchless amps. The Elegante is awesome, but it wasn't the right fit with the Clubman. I'm sure I would have thought the same with the C30.

72Telecaster and Bluesman79 like this.
  3. FFTT

FFTT Member

For pedal dirt, you might like the Fane F-90

I think AlNiCos do better for natural tube gain, but a tight detailed ceramic holds together better with heavier distortions.

4. hacinador

hacinador Member

...c30 is designed to see the Vintage 30. Mark Sampson, who designed this amp, was using it at that golden Matchless era...

Bluesman79 likes this.
  5. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

For me it was a Vintage 30 for the Phoenix, DC-30 and Chieftain I used to own.

6. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

4x12 with greenbacks sounds pretty awesome.

The older 2x12 with a V30 and greenback was also the stuff.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Subject near and dear to my heart...

About a year ago I traded into a 96 SC30 combo with the Matchless (444 basscone) vintage 30 speaker...

I loved it and it sounded amazing...curiosity got the better of me and I had a bud bring over a bunch of speakers to shootout with that amp...

We tried a Scumnico...Gold...Scumback H55/75s and M75 type speakers...

I liked that H75 style speaker the best so I bought a Celestion H75 and it is still in my amp...

The difference to the stock V30 is not to be believed...the eq controls have much more influence on the tone and it is like taking a blanket off the amp...I liked the V30 a lot but that was before I compared...now my cleans are much better and my gainer tones much more articulate...

I did not like the alnico speakers with this amp at all and the M style speakers were not as nice as the H style for my tastes...

Also plugging in an extension cab with an H style speaker and the stock V30 was not bad but I am not a fan of mixing speakers...

I used to own a DC30 and I think the SC30 with the H style Creamback is just a better sounding amp to me...

72Telecaster likes this.
  8. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm sorry, that's misleading.

The amps were voiced so the sound would be reasonably acceptable through harsh, fizzy mid-forward V-30s.

V-30's are economy hole fillers to get you down the road.

It's like putting Chinese Walmart tires on a Ferrari.

For heavy pedal overdrives, I'd try a Fane F-90 or EVM12L

9. hacinador

hacinador Member

I hated this speaker for years and I had about the same opinion. But with this Matchless circuit this speaker just rules. I tried about everything: Blue, Gold, Cream, Fane AXA, Jensen P12N, Jensen P12Q, Eminence alnicos, WGS, Scumbacks and about all Celestion ceramics that are produced nowadays... And the V30 just works the best for me with this circuit.

And Sampson must love it, because he use it in early Bad Cats and then in his Star amps.

And yes, I think his "C30 like" circuits were voiced with this speaker in mind. He wanted a bell like tone of the old Alnico Blues, but this speakers were not in production at the time. So he took a Vintage 30, which is very "highs shy", and used a 180pF bright cap to add some sparkle. Everyone knows that the C30 is very similar to the AC30, which has only a 100pF bright cap on Top Boost channel. C30 is also quite bass heavy, but the tight bass response of V30 is a great partner for it. You know that most players don't like C30 with Celestion Blues, the amp sounds very shrill with fubby bass, but it sounds just right with the V30.

But there are no rules and one can use any speaker he or she wants to. It's always good to experiment and you're right with your comment, because players should try as many speakers as is possible :)

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Surprised you didn't care for the AXA12.

I use mine open back for my jangle box cabs.

I love mine, but for ping crystal clear top end to hold heavy distortions together, the 150-C.

F-90 should get you close.

11. hacinador

hacinador Member

The AXA was very nice with my AC30. I have never had ceramics Fanes, but I think I should try them :)

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

There's no blanket on the amp even with a V30. I suppose if you want to kill people with treble have at it. I think this or a Celestion gold is a horrible choice.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm none too pleased with Fane for discontinuing the spectacular Medusa 150-C Cast Frame.

Jury is still out on the F-90 stamp frame.

I have a 2001 Fane Axiom 12/75 in my '64 Reverberocket.
    Tight, crisp, spank and jangle.
    I can only imagine the F-70 is close.

I have another Fane AXA12 in my '65 Ampeg Gemini I.
    Just killer with top boost engaged.

14. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

The 12ax7 side is like the Lightning, and that side is less picky/ more manageble (at least in mine, which has 6V6-es): WGS Reaper, WGS Blackhawk 50, Celestion BadCat. Please: not the Reaper 55hz.

I feel the EF86 is more picky, in that the WGS Blackhawk 50, Celestion BadCat should work

Can't commend on ASW speakers, sorry

Just my 2 cts

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

If I had to pick one, Greenbacks. But, I do like the mix of GBs and G12H30s in my Matchless cab. GBs and G12H30s are my favorite speakers.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you are using heavy distortion pedals and FX, if you have a speaker that also breaks up, you can end up with a poorly defined mess.

17. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses folks! Seems like the *general* consensus is a ceramic. I'm inclined to go with a Bad Cat Celestion. I really really love this speaker, and seems to allow the Matchless/hi-fi tones to come through.

@ekkybedmond - curious about your comments on the Reaper 55hZ; I have one in a Club Deluxe and an AC4TV and like it in both (although I would put it behind a couple of the others listed above).

@FFTT - I won't be using much thick distortion (I kick on a Rat every so often, otherwise just low-mid gain drives for texture). Are the Fanes still worth checking out?

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think the Fanes are well worth trying, just not sure if you'd like the F-70 or F-90 better.
    The AlNiCos if you want to take your sound more towards Vox with a crushed glass top end.

72Telecaster likes this.
  19. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

that is one awesome speaker...good call!

72Telecaster likes this.
  20. Seegs

Seegs Member

I beg to differ...there sure is IME...in comparison to an H75 the V30 sounds dark and muted and the eq. and presence controls have very little influence on the sound compared to the H75 creamback...with a les paul and the V30 I have to run the cut all the way off with the H75 all the controls have more room to play...the amp completely opens up and allows me to run it at a lower volume...the V30 sounded good until I compared...after comparing I found it muddy and quite lifeless...

Sorry....so far no one has died from treble at my gigs because I have an H75 style speaker in my amp...apparently Matchless also felt like this was a good change as...IIRC the newer ones seem to come with an H75 style speaker stock...

I agree golds sound horrible with this amp...