favorite Steppenwolf song

Beyer260

Sorry to be abrasive, but none. I never “got” Steppenwolf.

As a life long motorcycle rider who was made to want to barf every time “Born to be wild” was listed by some non-MC rider as the “anthem” of being a “biker”, I can’t stand them.

Everyone knows that Motörhead was the true soundtrack of riding a bike.

Sorry again, it’s just a sore spot with me….
I always found it funny seeing pictures of John Kay on a bike, given that he was legally blind.

Jorge E

I'm kinda digging Mars Bonfires' version more then Steppenwolfs

though the cracking guitar on Steppenwolfs is pretty great

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I think I have that Mars Bonfire LP buried away.
Under the radar is mostly a result of the age of the Observer. And the tight playlists of the radio station mega-monopolies.
I would pick Rock Me Baby and Magic Carpet Ride. They ran out of steam mid 70s and that LP with the dikcar.
So yeah, time marches on.

StratmanSteve

Silver Supporting Member
Back in the early '90s, I got to see John Kay and Steppenwolf (actually John Kay and four guys from New Hampshire :rolleyes: ) at a place called The Sting in New Britain, CT. They were expecting a lot of bikers to show up, but it poured all day and night so attendance was light. I had both hands on the stage and even got a high-five from John Kay. I guess that was my closest encounter with a real rock star.

There are a few songs posted here that I had forgotten about. Brings back memories.

My Vote: The Pusher

It may be arguable, but S may have created the hard rock genre in 1968 with BTBW. At the least, they popularised it. The Kinks had the lead in 1964, but the LOUDNESS wasn't yet available.

That was the real magic of BTBW. Motorcycle music was the best way to describe it in the sixties, because it actually created a new style of music that no one had a slot for. Born from psychedelic rock, but rougher and less cerebral.

Ted Nugent should take a bow for JTTCOYM with the Amboy Dukes in 1968... also Blue Cheer in 1968 with SB.. Dick Dale comes to mind as another Force Of Nature.

Did not the Sparrows become Steppenwolf in the year 19 L.F. of our founder, Leo Fender - like the Ravens became the Doors? And the Byrds flying 8 Miles High? Our feathered avians gave way to weighted blimps when peace and love of the folkies morphed into the bad trips of the druggies.

It's perplexing at times to live in Oshawa and realise that this forgotten land gave birth to hard rock which then opened the iron gates for the beasts of heavy metal. The Oshawa Jubilee Pavilion still stands as it was. In true Canadian anonymity, no plaque marks the spot...

When Leo mass produced the Electric Bass Guitar, all hell broke loose... Jack Cassidy, Moby Grape and the San Francisco Sound...

Like Jazz, Soul, The Boogaloo, The British Invasion And The New-Wave, Disco, and The Big Band Era, Rock is now a museum of Firsts. But thankfully, they're huge, complex structures that one can get lost in.

Last edited:

Jorge E

The local legend is Sparrow lived in Mill Valley and John Kay ran for mayor . Never found any proof but as a teen my buds and I use to make jokes about them having a Bar B Que in Old Mill Park

Trending Topics

Top Bottom