Favorite sub-30 watt amp for ABB type of tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SouthernShred, Feb 15, 2006.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

So...I'm saving toward a random amp purchase in the future...probably a ways off as my Dixie Beer budget and income don't seem to match my Don Julio Anejo taste in guitars and amps. My #1 guitar is a '58 Reissue LP with a Wagner Crossroads neck/Darkburst bridge pickup combo...I'll get flayed if I talk about my current amp, but that's not the point. What's your favorite amp in the 18 to 30 watt range to cover ABB tones? Specifically, I love Duane's solo on Stormy Monday on Fillmore East, his tone on You Don't Love Me/Soul Seranade on a neat 8/26/71 bootleg, etc...I can get pretty darned close with my current amp, but I'd like to pick up something long term in a smaller package both in power and size (current config is 78 pounds of 4x10 goodness at a very loud 50 watts).

I keep hearing good things about the Reinhardt 18 and also the Germino Club 40 and Classic 45 (although I'd probably have to use an attenuator to get there with the Germinos...Greg sure seems to know ABB tones). I'm definitely leaning more toward a Marshall-esque amp, Plexi/JTM45 era...favorite tones are obviously Duane/Dickey era ABB, Cream, Zep, Angus, etc...

Or, should I just say screw it an aim toward a Germino Classic 45 or Fillmore Classic and buy a Hot Plate? Or one of each? :D :D

Anyway, just a little rambling...I'm not unhappy with my current gear, but, well, I like amps :)

2. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I have a Masonette and a Classic 45 (30-35wt). They're both awesome for the tones you describe. I use a Dr Z attenuator with the Classic 45 and it sounds great and isn't too loud. It's still "when the wife leaves the house" loud but not 50wt Marshall loud. And really not so much louder than the Masonette.

To get the tones you are seeking with the 45, it needs to be near WFO but when there, it sounds incredible. It gets the Clapton "crossroads" solo tone when cranked. Stays somewhat clean up to 7-8. Responds very well to guitar volume. With a Fulldrive II, I can set the amp a bit lower, have a great clean and with the guitar volume get into classic rock territory.

The 45 is more versatile than the Masonette and somewhat lower gain. The 45 has more and better cleans than the Masonette.

The Masonette is amazing (and loud) as well and does the tones you're after at a slightly lower volume. The Club 40 has replaced the Masonette as it too can take 6V6 tubes to lower it's wattage.

You can't go wrong with any Germino.

The Reinhardt clips sound great as well and (from the sound of the clips) are higher gain amps. Never played one though.

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Just so you are aware....Greg told me that the Classic 45 in reality only puts out around 35 watts. When run in conjunction with some inefficient Celestion Heritage 20 watt speakers (96 db) the Classic 45 IMO would give you a killer rig for the tones you are seeking and also would be very managable volume-wise.

4. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

I heard Greg & Jason "Steelbender" Barker weekend before last, at a gig in Durham. Both were playing Greg's C40s. They covered a couple of ABB tunes and IMO really nailed that sound. That is to say, they nailed the sound I hear on the albums. Gave me GAS real bad too.

5. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

along with Germino suggestions above, consider Aiken Intruder 30, a great amp :dude

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'd strongly suggest something along the lines of the Fargen VOS. He modded a EL-84 Epic 30 DC a few months back for me and it nailed the ABB tone. I ended up selling it because I needed something with better clean headroom and more gain on the overdrive channel, but it definitely sung.

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Club 40 and an attenuator probably would be the quickest way to get it done fast. With that being said I truly don't believe to get certain tones you have to have a certain amp. I honestly believe that if you play a certain way that you can get tones you want out of alot of different amps. I'll explain what I mean. I own a Two Rock LTD and most people associate Two Rock with Dumble, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. Well to be honest when I play Allman Bros music I can get that tone the easiest out of all the amps I have owned by playing through my LTD. When playing the neck pickup on my 2002 R8 I find I get that flutey, sustaining hollow Allman Brothers tone with ease. I have owned and loved the Club 40 and thought you could get it out of that amp as well, which you should be able to considering what Greg is going after with that build.

My point is I am amazed when I play my LTD and rip away with my Les Paul that it is so easy to get Allman Bros tone out of that amp. Don't be fooled by looks try all different kinds of amps.

Chuck

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

any "plexi" styled amp, drop in 6v6's for reduced power (forget the attenuator) and get yourself some clean and clear speakers...

i'd guess a big open (or semi closed) back 2x12 with a pair of weber cali's would be pretty close.

maybe shop around for a used marshall 1987 circuit amp.

9. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    lots of good ones here. add Heritage Briton II (30w, MV, esp. Ch. 2 which is very Marshally) and Heritage Victory (22w, 2 6V6).

:cool:

10. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I own a Reinhardt 18 and have owned a Germino Masonette. Simillar amps .I find the Reinhardt more expressive, argressive and open. It really responds well to pick attack and level changes. The Germino was a little smoother and compressed.

I kept the Reinhardt and sold the Masonette but for ABB tones the Germino stuff is dead on. Both super companies to deal with, great people who really are into what you and they are doing.

11. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I've got to agree with Procos on this. When I played the LTD I immediately thought that I was getting ABB approved tones from it. Not dead nutz nailed, but definitely approved. I was playing through a redwood topped semi hollow guitar though so that does make a difference. I would try one and an Opal before buying anything else. They are both great amps with incedible master volumes for wife approved use.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

You and I are in the very same area tone wise. ( I just bought a Dickey Betts Red Top......:AOK ) I now have a Two Rock that made all my tone dreams come true but the best 30 watt amp I played that did it for me was a Dr.Z Route 66. Incredible ittle amp and the tones are so easy to dial in. If this Two Rock hadn't worked out so well I was gonna get me 2 Dr. Z's. Another GREAT GREAT amp is the Heritage Colonial for the ABB stuff. Its a bit louder at 50 watts but Great tones can be had at decent volumes unlike Germino's stuff that needs to be maxed .

13. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to get myself up to Atlanta and try out a Two Rock. Atlanta Discount used to carry Germino but I'm not sure if they do any more. My best friend has an Aiken Intruder 30 that I'm going to spend some time with. It seems to me that Greenback 20 or 25 watters make the most sense for this application, wouldn't you think?

14. onemind

onemind Member

I think the Aiken Intruder would be a great choice....I had the head, mixed with an Avatar 2x12 got me right in that ABB territory. The Plexi/Alum switch will give you a wide variety of Marshelesque tones...and the ability to mix the preamp stages adds a great deal of versatility. I'm pretty confident you coudl dial in exactly the sound you're looking for.

15. Swampash

Swampash Member

I could be dead wrong, but IIRC Duane used JBLs....see the MATT H above for a more current (and less expensive) speaker choice.

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I think he used D120's but I'm not sure the letter...D120F?

17. Matt H

Matt H Guest

apparently all d120's were actually d120F's- there was recently a post, maybe on the weber board? about this.

i don't know if he used jbl's or EV's or, for something reason, i'm thinking cerwin vegas...

point being- decidedly not "colored" or "british" style speakers. in the clear and clean range really.

18. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

I have a Roccaforte Custom 40 with a 2x12 Red Ryder closed back cab. Gets great Allman Bros tone. Good master volume.

19. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Contact Don Butler, I believe he did some work for the Allmans back in the day and I could've sworn him saying that Duane used the Cerwin Vegas and also the Greenbacks with the bass cones as well. Seems to me he said Dickey Betts was the JBL user in the band.

20. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I have the exact setup as OneMind and I have been very pleased.....

...but, since you have played through it, you probably already know that.....

: )