Favorite Suhr Strat pickups

sst70

What are people's thought's on the various Suhr strat pickups. I'm putting together a custom strat order from Suhr and trying to decide on pickups. The only ones I've heard are the ML pickups that came stock in my Suhr Pro C2. I liked these, but not sure if I want to go with them. I'm thinking bout the V63's. Any suggestions or input.

What are people's thought's on the various Suhr strat pickups. I'm putting together a custom strat order from Suhr and trying to decide on pickups. The only ones I've heard are the ML pickups that came stock in my Suhr Pro C2. I liked these, but not sure if I want to go with them. I'm thinking bout the V63's. Any suggestions or input.
Yeah the thing with questions like this is our suggestions are going to mean diddly squat for you because we all have different guitars, rigs, etc. not to mention different ears and preferences. Your best bet if you wanted to go with something different is to pick up another set used and try them out. You'll be able to just sell 'em and get something else easily if you find it doesn't match what you're looking for...but us throwing random Suhr pickup models at you and saying "I like this one best" won't really be of any value :).

Texsunburst59

I love classic rock tones, and the stock vintage pickups in my Suhr Class Pro SSH sound great to me. V70 in neck and middle, and an SSV in the bridge.

Like CG87 above said, what works more my setup, man not work for you.

It might be worth it to find the closest guitar shop that has a big variety of Suhr guitars in stock.

I think a 2-3 hr. drive would be worth it, if you can find the pickups that sound the best to you.

ablue

Some body at Suhr would pick up the phone and have a nice conversation about this , neck profile and the like. I have the ML in a Classic Antique and they may be a bit dark for some. In this bright guitar with roasted neck they balance just fine. They have a bit more push especially with effects. This is a guitar that I like to play hard and it is very responsive. Also found that the fret size can be a bit misleading. I had mine refreted at the factory with their biggest size in SS . It is pretty loud even unplugged. I have a handful of other Strats some lean more traditional. Hope this helps some.

CaliCaveMan

Silver Supporting Member
Just fyi the ML Classic and V63 are the same pickup.

If you want a sweeter top end and a bit smoother overall, the V60’s Would be the choice.

I have ML’s and V60’s. They’re both great. I prefer the ML’s a bit more.

sst70

Some body at Suhr would pick up the phone and have a nice conversation about this , neck profile and the like. I have the ML in a Classic Antique and they may be a bit dark for some. In this bright guitar with roasted neck they balance just fine. They have a bit more push especially with effects. This is a guitar that I like to play hard and it is very responsive. Also found that the fret size can be a bit misleading. I had mine refreted at the factory with their biggest size in SS . It is pretty loud even unplugged. I have a handful of other Strats some lean more traditional. Hope this helps some.
Thanks for the response. I have multiple Suhr's so I pretty much have this spec'ed out except the pickups. My favorite frets are heavy. I am planning on roasted neck.

I just put a set of MLs Standards in my MIM Strat this weekend. Wow!!! They're incredible. The way I would describe these pickups is... having your cake and eating it too. Vintage sparkle and modern fullness, all at the same time. You don't have to choose between one or the other. They deliver really balanced, beautiful chimey cleans that you want in a great Strat, but they also sound super rich and full when you kick in the dirt. And they seem to have just a little bit "extra" in the mid range frequencies which I anticipate will really make a difference in a crowded band mix where a more scooped pickup would get lost more easily.

I can't put my Strat down right now, and I can state with certainty this set is not going anywhere! Kudos to you @Husky and the team who designed these.

MartinCliffe

I've got ML Standards in both my Strats. Love them. The guitars, not so much, but the pickups sound great. Also have them in four of my Suhrs (just neck in 2, neck and middle in 2), which I very much love.

ablue

I just put a set of MLs Standards in my MIM Strat this weekend. Wow!!! They're incredible. The way I would describe these pickups is... having your cake and eating it too. Vintage sparkle and modern fullness, all at the same time. You don't have to choose between one or the other. They deliver really balanced, beautiful chimey cleans that you want in a great Strat, but they also sound super rich and full when you kick in the dirt. And they seem to have just a little bit "extra" in the mid range frequencies which I anticipate will really make a difference in a crowded band mix where a more scooped pickup would get lost more easily.

I can't put my Strat down right now, and I can state with certainty this set is not going anywhere! Kudos to you @Husky and the team who designed these.
That’s the way I hear them. Add the hum cancel and gain away.

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
V70s....finally the pickup that was exactly what I want from Suhr. Would be easy for me to have a Suhr loaded with them as my only guitar...great late '60s Strat sounds. Clear and bell like...just beautiful.

Last edited:

Husky

Real advice can not exist in a vacuum.
What's the rest of the guitar, what speakers and cabs, what amps and pedals and what are you in to musically and dont say everything ;-)

SFW

I recently installed a pair of V60LPs in my strat with an SSV+ in the bridge. Absolutely love they way they sound. Granted, I play hard rock on a hot rodded Marshall style amp. The neck V60LP will do Hendrix all day long though.

Jarick

Supporting Member
I just installed a set of ML Standard pickups (with the hot bridge) in my Strat yesterday. This guitar has seen a million pickups too.

First impressions, I'm really liking them and they are one of the best sets of Strat pickups I've used to date. They are on the higher output side of vintage, somewhat scooped sounding, a balanced high end (not too bright or dark). The bridge pickup is about as hot as a Strat bridge can get while still being a traditional Strat bridge. And the in between positions do have a nice spank/quack to them without being overly thin or dull. I guess I would call them fairly balanced yet still traditional Strat.

My guitar originally came with Fender Tex Mex pickups when it was new nearly 25 years ago. They've been out of the guitar for over a decade so going purely from memory, but these remind me of those pickups except more balanced and smoother without the harshness, especially in the bridge. I actually get flashbacks a bit to being a kid playing this guitar in punk bands (before I got my Les Paul) on the bridge pickup. I've never played Fender Texas Specials, but maybe that would be somewhat of a comparison?

I have Suhr Classic T pickups in my Tele and these seem like a very good complement to them. Those just seem so well balanced, not harsh, not dark, not thin, hot but still Tele. That's kind of what these are like.

Comparing them to some other pickups I've used:

Suhr V60LP - I didn't like these pickups. They seemed unnaturally dark, like a veil over the sound of the guitar. The output was good and the tone other than the high end was good, it had a nice midrange. I would probably have liked the standard V60's.

Suhr V63 (aka ML Classic) - Good pickups, better than the V60LP's for me, although I found them to be a touch bright and the traditional output bridge didn't do anything for me. I would bet though they would come close to nailing what a real '63 would sound like. That's probably not the tone for me.

Fender 57/62 - Low output, bright, thin. These didn't stay in the guitar long at all. Not for me.

Tonerider Alnico 2 Blues - I think these are very similar spec wise to the Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots, aka the Nick Johnston pickups. These are really interesting, big fat bold and loud. The bridge is hot, warm, and punchy. Amazing value. But they are warm to the point you lose out on that Strat sparkle, especially in the 2/4 positions.

I've had lots of others in this guitar too, lots of noiseless pickups including Mojotone, Fender, Dimarzio, GFS, Zexcoil, probably a dozen others I would forget about unless you mentioned them.

Anyways, I've been happy enough with Suhr pickups to put them in 4 of my 5 electrics (I don't play my LP Junior enough to think about swapping pickups):

Telecaster -> Suhr Classic T set (love them but would be intrigued by the Woodshed neck)
Strat -> Suhr ML Stanrdard set
Les Paul -> Suhr Thornbucker set (Plus bridge)
PRS -> Suhr Thornbucker set (Plus bridge, although I'm waiting on an SSV+ to see if that will add just a little more push and energy to the tone. In this guitar the TB+ can be a bit polite.)

Maybe it's a little OCD on my part, but I keep coming back to the Suhr options. I swapped a lot of pickups in and around the PAF world before landing on the Thornbuckers as my favorites (Seth Lovers, BKP Mules, Lollar Imperials, Dimarzio). The ones I've settled on to me feel the most balanced and seem to really have a lot of character of the guitar.