Favorite Tele Neck Shape?

Rick1114

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a partscaster tele. Been jonsing for one of these lately and It seems like a rather straight forward design. If I can make sure I purchase the right neck, I'm pretty sure the rest will fall into place. I can solder pickups and just learned fret leveling and dressing as well.

So basically, I like usually like a medium to beefy C Shaped neck on a strat or LP. Usually whenever I pickup anything of Fender Custom Shop caliber, the neck usually seems right to me. American standards and the the modern C, Im beginning to detest, I noticed sometimes the necks are okay on deluxes teles, but I would like just a tad thicker than that.

Can someone school me on tele necks, whats traditional thickness and radius and what hardcore tele players prefer? It seems to me the whole appeal of the tele is the ease of chording and playing in general. I played an old custom shop esquire and the neck was a great thick, well contoured C shape, not over the top though like a boat U shape. Also what type of frets to tele players prefer?

I'm planning on ordering from us at, musicraft or warmoth.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Rick

Ronsonic

I don't think there's any telling you what you'd like. Keep track of what you try and try to find the kind of repeatable, quantifiable measurements that you can communicate to the neck builder. Dimensions can be picked out of a catalog, nut width and thicknesses at the first and 12th fret are the popular ones to quote. See what you like and try a bunch.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
^Absolutely.
Your choice and preference for your guitar.
That is what partscasters are all about.
Use a Strat neck or a pointy neck or design your own

Wayne Alexander

Silver Supporting Member
What I like is completely irrelevant to you. You need to put your hands on a bunch of necks then figure out what plays well and feels good in YOUR hands. My favorite necks are Musikraft 59 Les Paul profile, or a MusiKraft 53 Tele V to C profile, in both cases with a rosewood fingerboard and medium jumbo frets, and with trussrod adjustment at the top instead of the heel of the neck, but that doesn't say that you'd like that.

Rick1114

Yes, I know its about preference when it comes to necks. Its just that I find soliciting advice to be helpful. Usually others have treaded this road before me and have helpful insights. For example, but width is very important, I'm finding I like narrow widths (been playing an EBMM and its super comfortable). Other than that, I'll probably be happy with any maple, med-full 60's C shape, and a compound radius. Still have to think about frets size and maybe play a few more teles...

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
Usacg 7.25-95 compound radius, .85 at the first fret, U profile. 1.65 nut width. Best necks out there. I have three. At .85 with a U profile the neck feel big without being nocaster big. I have smaller hands and have no issues with a U prifile feeling too big. The 7.25 compound makes it comfy for chords and bends don't fret out. 6125 or 6105 frets.

Rick1114

Usacg 7.25-95 compound radius, .85 at the first fret, U profile. 1.65 nut width. Best necks out there. I have three. At .85 with a U profile the neck feel big without being nocaster big. I have smaller hands and have no issues with a U prifile feeling too big. The 7.25 compound makes it comfy for chords and bends don't fret out. 6125 or 6105 frets.
Thanks, that's good info. I will def have to get my hands on a U shape and see how that feels.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I keep preaching that everyone should try a wider nut.
Freedom from having to scrunch one's finger together in the first position is a great thing.

Rick1114

Freedom from having to scrunch one's finger together in the first position is a great thing.
I guess it kind of depends on a lot of factors when it comes to nut width. I do find scrunching myself on my GS mini, but when I play Acoustic its all about first position for me (and I'm sure most others). On electrics my problem with wide nuts is I cannot fret those more exotic chord shapes in the 2-5th position without hand fatigue, and thats where I make my interesting music on the electrics. If the neck is thin like my Fender Select HSS was, it would even exacerbate my tendonitis. I can kind of play my Music Man effortlessly, the necks not even that fat, but narrow width.

Last edited:

padavis

I can't tell you the gold standard Tele neck specs. I would say that the 52 reissue neck is what Id pretty much what I want a Tele to have at the minimum. Having said that, I recently bought a parts tele that is pretty dang incredible. It has an Allparts TMO-FAT neck and for me, this is my ideal neck. Its fat as can be and I have not experienced a more comfortable neck. Even versus the 52 Reissue, this for me, beats it. I have had the #3 G&L neck at 11/16s and this FAT neck with the 5/8s to me is more comfortable. So for me, Id say the nut width was not as important as the fatter back...

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I like a 1 11/16ths nut, so there is room for my chubby nubbs, and a 9.5 or 12" straight radius, so that the instrument can support low action up the neck.
The back shape does not matter at all to me in terms of feel, but I have a personal theory that decent volume necks with wide un-figured grain patterns, flat sawn, make for large sounding instruments. But I have seen countless exceptions. It really is less predictable than folks think.

I agree that what works for one player, won't work for another.

I like a wider but not real wide nut, and so I choose 1.72 inches. I like to avoid a D or U shape since the shoulders limit the way I can position my hand. I think a neck a little fuller than a Boatneck is a good compromise for many. My favorite is the Super Soft V from Tommy Rosamond, 1 inch thick all the way. The added girth as you come up the board is all in the transition from soft V to fat C shape. 9.5-12 compound radius. Tommy has done 16 of them like this for me.

EL 34 X2

Gold Supporting Member
I really like a one piece USACG maple '54 model I bought about 10 years ago. It is a soft V to about the 5th fret then goes to a C shape. It's a comfortable big neck, without being huge. It's by far my favorite Fender style neck shape of the countless ones I've played. Sounds very similar to the neck Boris Bubbanov describes in post #13.

Rick1114

I agree that what works for one player, won't work for another.

I like a wider but not real wide nut, and so I choose 1.72 inches. I like to avoid a D or U shape since the shoulders limit the way I can position my hand. I think a neck a little fuller than a Boatneck is a good compromise for many. My favorite is the Super Soft V from Tommy Rosamond, 1 inch thick all the way. The added girth as you come up the board is all in the transition from soft V to fat C shape. 9.5-12 compound radius. Tommy has done 16 of them like this for me.
I'm really Interested in this neck shape except with a vintage nut width. Is there any guitar available at dealers that has something similar? I ask because I would love to cop a feel on a similar neck before I put in a custom order with USACG!

Trending Topics