• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Tele pickups for classic and hard rock?

AmpliFIRE

Silver Supporting Member
I'm considering the Dimarzio Area T's...but what else should I be considering? I'm not looking for over the top twang and won't be doing any chicken pickin'. Just a classic tele tone that will sound good with some gain...

Thanks!

afterosmosis

I've got the Area Ts in my still-in-progress parts tele and really like them. I took the neck off my strat to test the pickups when I installed them, and I think they're very versatile. I was fully expecting these to be a starting point in my pickup hunt, but now I'm thinking they'll stay put.

The neck pickup isn't muddy, and stays pretty clear and punchy even under higher amounts of gain. The bridge pickup will twang pretty well when playing clean, and stays very crunchy and aggressive with some dirt. The middle tone is very cool, hollow sounding with glassy highs and a great "tubular" low end. Playing with the pickup height can change the tone up quite a bit, and working the knobs will of course bring out more options.

I have a set of Joe Barden Danny Gatton's in my AV52RI, which is my number 1.

To me they are the most versitile pickups I have ever owned, the tele retains it's tele-ness but works really well with more rocky tones.

They also respond really well to tone control and clean up dirt boxes nicely when rolling off the volume.

Well worth the money IMHO.

Cheers

BMF

ptdesign

Handmade sonic art
I use fuzz and distortion. For me It's the Duncan Hot tele stack bridge, any good strat pup at the neck. It's kinda ugly and 21k is a crazy resistance for a tele pup but I keep going back to it again and again since 1994.

wildstar

Silver Supporting Member
Just want to reinforce your initial instincts. The Area T's are AWESOME for what you're describing. I've got an Area T neck and the new for 2009 Area Hot T Bridge in my Rick Kelly Tele - and I use this baby for rock, hard rock, and metal.

For something a bit closer to classic Tele bridge, try the Virtual Hot T.

:AOK

dtfan4ever

I have a DiMarzio Virtual T Neck and Virtual Hot T in the bridge and an NS-2 in the middle of my Nashville tele. I think they're great. They don't make the Virtual T Neck anymore but the fact that it was an uncovered Tele neck pickup makes it sound different from one that is. I wish they would bring it back into production because I would get a few more and put them in more guitars.

thenine

My Richie Kotzen tele came with a dimarzio chopper T in bridge and twang king in neck. Good sounding guitar. Alas, I sold it tho,...

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
IMO if you want a classic rockin' Tele tone then stay away from the hot pickups.But in the end it all comes down to the tone of the wood.My Tele can twang like mad but rocks harder than any of my guitars.The pickups are fairly low output but can get aggressive when pushed.

What amp and pedals are you using?Also can you point us to some clips that would give use a better idea of the tone you're looking for?

teleache

Just get yourself of vintage duncan quarter pound. Huge mids ! well balanced for classic rock ! end of story !

musicmann

Ive had a few Teles and I agree about the Nocaster pups. I have them in an American 62 RI and they sound terrific and hold up nicely with overdrive and effects, whenever I go there.

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
My Fred Stuart Black Guard Bridge sounds great with my Zendrive and Dr.Z Stingray and Demeter hi-gain channel.

Trending Topics