• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Favorite three or four gain stage circuit...

benadrian

Hey all!

I have a heavily modded Traynor head. Right now it had a topology somewhere between a JCM800 and a Bogner shiva; both amps with three gain stages and then a cathode follower feeding a tone stack. I'm growing a little bored with the amp at the moment, which usually means that I go in and play with the circuit. I can't help but feel that I've exhausted all my usual resources looking for unique takes on the three or four gain stage preamp circuit.

So, i ask you amp nerds this question: what is your favorite three or four gain stage, medium gain preamp circuit. Essentially, what can be made with two dual-triode tubes.

Thanks!

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
Well, there's always the Trainwreck circuit, I suppose.

I actually like the Emplexador version of the JCM800 with different tone stack values -- 56k slope, 330p, 22n, 22n. Nothing unique about the topology, though.

benadrian

I'd reckon Marshall got it right with the 2203 and 2204.
It's pretty great. I used it for years with a few tweaks to get it to work better for me with single coils. then I started digging for "inspired by" circuits. I'm pretty well-read when it comes to amp variations, but I just have this feeling tugging at my like I'm missing something.

TimmyP

I cannot find P7a on the Prosonic schematic (the low side of the pot between gain stages 2 and 3.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Okay...I pulled my chassis. P7A is the 'back' pot on the Master volume control. P7B is the MV control. The contact on the PCB is right in the middle of the board.
P = potentiometer. The first 3 pots are not numbered in the schematic, but from P4(treble) through P8(reverb) the pots are numbered in the schematic, as you can see. All pots are dual-ganged pots in this amp. P1, P2 and P8 each have one unused 'pot'. I cannot explain the functions any further than that. I can manipulate the controls, but I don't totally understand the wiring.

71strat

I use a Feed Forward x 4 Stage Roger Mayer Drive with my Metro GMP45.

Has a frequency response of 10Hz-100kHz.!!!!! Works with any type amplifier/pickups.

You can also use this pedal as an Attenuator, and for straight up volume reduction, is as good as any unit on the market. Incl Power Station.. But I also have PS, and love its reamp features, and it also does attenuate fantastically.

But for straight up driving your amp, and the attenuating with the 4644, Is as good, or better than anything available AND, it will also work with 2 Amplifiers as it has Dual Drive Buffer x No Loss Splitter, . + it also has True Bypass. Take your pick.

Worlds 1st All Analogue Discrete Class A Ultra Wideband
4 Stage Feed Forward Drive.

Designed as a no compromise design the 4644 Drive excels giving the guitarist performance that stands out from the usual devices he may have previously encountered. ULTRA WIDEBAND DISCRETE DESIGN produces transparency and detail that cannot be obtained from conventional op-amp designs.

The 4644 Drive harmonics are generated by our PROPRIETARY FEED FORWARD DESIGN with zero phase, time delay or any other nasty artefacts that simply means it is so fast that it will follow and track all your playing techniques perfectly. This optimised series of harmonics produced are very musical and natural sounding over a wide dynamic range.

The guitar's VOLUME pot can now be used as a MASTER DRIVE CONTROL when playing without compromising your tone when the volume is backed off. Set the DRIVE once on the pedal and use the guitar's VOLUME making it very performance friendly.

A carefully crafted PASSIVE TONE CIRCUIT has been optimised to compliment and adjust the harmonic content for both Single Coil and Humbucker Pickup types used in most guitars and will provide that personal tweek to obtain your perfect tone.

The OUTPUT control will set up the overall gain of the 4644 DRIVE to provide a significant boost where desired.

The 4644 Drive uses the latest high speed feed forward design techniques to set a new standard in player control and feeling without any latency, misting or blurring of your technique. Your attack and playing nuances will be PRESERVED AND NOT COMPROMISED.

dazco

from 1 -10 there is a huge increase in mids.
wow, thats interesting. I may have to try that and make it switchable. of course whether i like it or not will depend on where the center frequency lies and the way it sounds at that point in the amp. I already have plenty of the highest mid frequencies.

mvanstee

wow, thats interesting. I may have to try that and make it switchable. of course whether i like it or not will depend on where the center frequency lies and the way it sounds at that point in the amp. I already have plenty of the highest mid frequencies.
For those interested the tone stack on the prosonic is active. Start with TMB at zero and work up from there.

diagrammatiks

3 gain stages and a cathode follower would require 3 dual triodes not 2...

4 stages is pushing into high gain territory as well...

for exactly 2 dual triodes into a pi

the ods circuits
splawn qr

benadrian

3 gain stages and a cathode follower would require 3 dual triodes not 2...

for exactly 2 dual triodes into a pi
I think maybe we have a misunderstanding. I consider an amp like a jcm800 2203/2204 to have three gain stages and a cathode follower, and that preamp is made with two dual triodes.

Cheers!
Ben

gldtp99

I think maybe we have a misunderstanding. I consider an amp like a jcm800 2203/2204 to have three gain stages and a cathode follower, and that preamp is made with two dual triodes.

Cheers!
Ben

I agree----- JCM 800 2204/2203 preamp is two 12ax7's (four available stages)----- three gain stages and a cathode follower stage.
If you haven't already built the "Plate Driven Tonestack" type of modded circuit (giving four gain stages without adding another 12ax7), this one works quite well and has some interesting tweaks: Pre Tonestack MV, several switching options, and some unique voicing in the preamp and PI:

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Splawn/Splawn_QR.pdf

Here's a 50 watt version based on the gain channel that I built several years ago---- the current owner (named Erving) is playing it on the night he picked it up from my old shop:

diagrammatiks

Cheers!
Ben
That's quite an important semantic distinction...The cathode follower is an important part of the tone. It will distort jcm800 inspired circuits...and it's necessary to drive the tone stack in those circuits...

a jcm800 preamp made with 2 dual triodes and no cf tone stack doesn't sound like a jcm800 at all.

benadrian

here's how my brain parses the 2204 preamp.
V1a is the first gain stage.
Then the drive knob.
V1b is the second gain stage.
Then the 470k/470k voltage divider.
V2a is the third gain stage
Directly coupled to
V2b cathode follower (it clips, yes, but it adds no gain)
Then the cathode follower drives the tonestack that feeds the master volume.

And that's three gain stages and a cathode follower with two dual triodes.

The PI is part of the power amp to me due to the NFB. It makes it one interactive, dynamic system.

Last edited:

JTH20

Maybe try an Engl Powerball type circuit? It eliminates the cathode follower and uses the last triode stage as another gain stage. A quick google search turned up this preamp schematic online but I'm not sure if values are 100% correct.

Only two dual triodes and it's a gain monster!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom