Favorite Tricks with the DL4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electron transl, Mar 4, 2007.

1. electron transl

electron transl Member

I've had a Line 6 DL4 (Keeley Modded) for a couple of years now. In my experiences I've been able to tweak out some really cool settings for useful and crazy effects. There's been more than one occasion where I've had other guitarists come up and say "How were you doing that and what did you use?" When I say my DL4 they usually give me a funny look and say "I have a DL4 but I've never gotten those sounds!"

So I thought it would be cool for some TGP'ers to come together and share some of the unique sounds they get with their DL4's so we can pool the knowledge.

Here are a few:
    • (in looper mode) double tap the record switch really fast to get this nice on-the-edge-but-never-feeding-back cascading delay. very cool and very different than any of the presets.
    • (in looper mode) click the halftime button BEFORE you start recording your loop. voila! you now have a 28 second loop to play with rather than the 14 second one! i'm really confused as to why Line 6 doesn't share this move openly. it would be a nice marketing bump for the DL4.
    • auto-volume preset: set it to the longest ramp up time, stretch out the repeats and delay time. you can layer synth-like sounds so that people in the audience start straining their necks to see where the keyboardist is (this move gets the most comments). i love running this preset into a tremolo pedal.
    • reverse preset: set it to one repeat with the mix about equal to the input level. then get your timing right so that if you're chugging along with 8th notes, you can switch to just playing the quarter notes and let the delay come in reverse and make it sound like you're playing this weird, rhythmic, reverse/normal part. (took me awhile to recreate this sound...for one of our band's songs, the producer manually reversed each one of my chord hits so that each chord was played in reverse...tedious! i wanted to be able to get close to that sound live and this pretty much does it!)
    • reverse preset: i also messed around with the settings to get it to do an weird, quasi-sequenced tremolo sound. very unique and useable. i use the expression pedal to morph between those two settings.
    • THE EXPRESSION PEDAL! i don't understand why people don't always use this on the DL4. not only do you get to morph and do some cool ocillation sounds, but you can effectively double the amount of presets! i set the forward position on one preset to be very different than the back one. then i can choose which one i'll use for a song/part. 6 different sounds rather than 3! of course, you can't switch between modeler types (ie mem man model to the multi-head), but i can get pretty different sounds out of one preset by using the knobs.
    so i've shared a few of my secrets, what are yours?

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  2. shane210

shane210 Member

I don't have any, but I'll sure be tryin those!

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Wow, cool tricks, and I don't even have a DL4!

4. Philo

Philo Member

I figured out the half-speed record=double record time trick on my own, but I'm embarassed to admit that it took me two years of being frustrated at recording 11 bars of a 12 bar blues to think of it!

I like the fade in/reverse mode a lot.

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Using the sweep echo, dial in a really short delay time, and turn the blend knob fully clockwise. This gives a pseudo envelope filter/wah sound.

Another trick with the looper is to play a fast run on your lower strings, and then kick it down to half time so that the loop drops an octage and you can get a bass type sound.

6. disaster

disaster Member

damn. I was planning on keeping those reverse presets as my own little secret.
    cool stuff though, for sure.

7. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I always like cranking the repeats and making it feedback in lo-res.... but thats rather obvious....

A couple years ago I found a web site with all kinds of cool settings and tricks for DL4 incl ring modulator, chorus and more.... anyone have that URL?

ifallalot likes this.
  8. Strat

Strat Member

you actually had a DL-4 work long enough to figurea ll that out ? Damn- I loved mine but afraid to buy another - current one wont return to a setting a.

saw Phil Keaggy last night - he did some very cool stuff with his...pushed the envelope as always

9. electron transl

electron transl Member

give L6 a call. i've had the tap tempo go out on mine and they fixed it for free. i was out of warranty too.

i'd like to see that DL4 URL too!

i'll post a few more pre's soon.

10. Mincer

Mincer Member

yeah, ive been able to get a slow gear, chorus, overdrive and auto-wah out of it as well.

11. radcliff

radcliff Member

I just replaced mine with a DD20...I'm pretty happy with the change.

I will miss the backward looping.

Another trick.....is to solo like this:

Play a lead on record, as soon as your done double click for reverse and also hit the play once button, and duel with yourself

...it takes some practice but it can sound really cool, and to make it easier on yourself, you can just use that first backwards phrase over and over if you want

also, the tape setting with the treble full up, the mix down and the repeats on high for a nice background shimmer

also, the sweep echo with the repeats full up and with the delay time full up, sweep the time knob across and bring it in for a landing while manipulating the mix level;)

12. electron transl

electron transl Member

i'm curious, how'd you get to those sounds?

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

the coolest trick I could do with a DL4 is sell it... :D

14. gregory49

gregory49 Member

phillip sayce is one of the sickest guitarists i know , and its good enough for him and he has sick tone.. man its not what gear you use , its what you can do with it.

15. Mincer

Mincer Member

for a chorus, use mod delay...no repeats, no dry signal (or just a little) delay time 0...you can use exp pedal to sweep the speed (tweak)

for an auto wah, use sweep delay...no repeats, all wet signal, delay time 0..you can use exp pedal to sweep the speed (tweak)

for overdrive, use tube echo no repeats, all wet signal, delay time 0, turn tweeze (drive) all the way up.

for a slow gear, use Auto-Volume echo, no repeats, all wet signal, delay time 0..you can use exp pedal to sweep the speed (tweak)

a very versatile and intuitive pedal, and worth it for the looping alone- I always use the 'start in half speed' trick. Mine is not modded, I use it in non-true bypass mode (so delays trail off), and had it from the first year of production and never had a problem over 1000s of gigs.

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

just a question can u set up a pre-recorded loop and have it set up as a preset? also can u even use the looper amongst the other chosen presets for instance tape echo, loop, reverse, tap??? make sense?

17. Mincer

Mincer Member

no storage of loops, so its all live, baby (thank god)...you get a basic analog sounding echo with the looper, but that is it. still, other than the boomerang, it is the most intuitive pedal looper out there, well suited to the way i use loops.

18. electron transl

electron transl Member

yeah, once you're in looper mode it "disables" the other presets. the four switches have different duties in looper mode.

part of me does wish i could save a loop. it would be a nice addition. oh well.

19. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

My favorite trick was for it to make me look like a total idiot in front of a large number of people and make my band want to kill me :).

•In Looper mode, record the verse chords for a song, then solo over them the next time around. (I always used the 28-second loop as well, BTW.) So far so good.

•Next song, attempt to record the intro pattern for playing over later. But no! Whatever button is pressed, it plays the loop from the last song! And won't stop until finally I bend down and turn the knob to a different model and back again. Meanwhile the band think I'm screwing around, and the crowd probably think I have all my guitar parts pre-recorded in that little green box. I suppose it could have been worse... it might have happened in the middle of a song.

After that I never used the Looper again... I found a different way of playing the songs that didn't rely on it. So, you could say it was inspirational.

Hope it never happens to you.

20. Mincer

Mincer Member

Thing is, I think you forgot to press the first button. To reset the loop, just press the first button when a loop is going, and it will shut off. When you press the first button again, it records a new loop (red light is on). The manual has a good tutorial about how to use it.
    Also, this (and pretty much all pedal loopers ) is really not a good way to use the looper unless the drummer has some serious monitoring, and has a lot of practice playing along with unsynced loops. You might try non-rhythmic loops when playing with a drummer, get a looper with midi sync and have the drummer play to a click, or really, get another guitarist to play the part. It really isn't what the DL-4 is good at (but again, most pedal loopers aren't either)- besides, it is more fun to come up with more creative ways to use the loops.