Favorite Tricks with the DL4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electron transl, Mar 4, 2007.

1. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Thing is, I think you weren't there and you don't know how confusing this was. I didn't "forget" to press the first button - after it started screwing up, I pressed all the buttons, repeatedly. None of them did anything. Software glitch, obviously.

And yes, I read the manual and I knew how to use it. It had worked perfectly for several months. Like I said, I hope it doesn't happen to you... especially in the middle of something you can't stop and start again so easily.

My drummer had no difficulty playing in time with the loop BTW - provided it was just looped once, which is how I used it, just to maintain the rhythm guitar part while I played a solo (being the only guitarist in the band). You may not think that's a very "good" way to use a looper, but in fact it was exactly what I wanted for these songs at the time.

The good thing was that this incident made me change the guitar parts for these two songs and come up with something less predictable than rhythm chords + linear solo, so the experience wasn't all bad :).

2. electron transl

electron transl Member

typically i don't use the looper live, b/c i worry about the timing thing and having a good monitor mix for the drummer, etc. as an extension of this thread, how do you guys like using the looper function live - if not for simply recording a rhythm part, then playing lead over it.

the one way i do like using it doing the double-tap feature i'd mentioned (hitting the far left record button twice, really fast - i use my fist). then you get this cool, long, repeating delay. more atmospheric.

the other way is to do manual volume swells into the looper and get the wall-o-sound thing going. no attack, just sound.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

You can get pseudo ring mod sounds using the reverse setting. Set the delay time for very short, one repeat, chorus sounds off (or on, if that's what you like), and then use the mix to balance your wet and dry sound. Try it entirely wet to start, as you'll get a feel for how it is working.

Bryan

4. electron transl

electron transl Member

nice. i'll have to give the ring mod a run. i have the MM4 and it covers most of my ring mod needs...but what the heck? you can always use more, right?

5. steveb

steveb Member

A couple of looper things.
    When playing alone at home, I'll set it to half speed & play a rhythm riff. Take it off of record mode, set it back to regular speed, & play the bass notes in double time. Once I firgre out what I will play as a bass line, I hit the record button. Then, switch it back to half speed & the bass lines I just played are an octave down, sounding like a bass.

Another thing I like to do is make a background pad to play against. At half speed I record something like gently picking open E & B strings letting the notes ring out. I reverse that loop, & it ends up sounding sorta' like droning strings in Indian music. I switch it back to regular speed & record a low E sustained note, letting the loop go around twice making sure that note will seem endless. Switch it back to normal speed & you end up with a nice thick low E synth-like pad to go along with the Eastern sounding stuff.

If you have a rhythmic loop that gets out of sync when playing with other people, you can step on the "one shot" button on the first beat of a measure. This will keep things together if the drummer varies the tempo a bit. If it doesn't work, you need to find another drummer. :)

Steve

6. electron transl

electron transl Member

i highly recommend getting the keeley mod done to your DL4 if you haven't or are sitting on the fence. it's definitely worth every penny.

besides replacing every single surface IC chip with hi-fi burr-brown chips, they also do nearly a dozen other mods. the end result is much enhanced sound quality, nearly undetectable noise levels, no volume drop (thankyou!!!), and very cool, BLUE LED's.

do gents. do it now.

7. electron transl

electron transl Member

Ok, here's my latest update on tricks.

FREEZING A CHORD!

I discovered that if you have it set to looper-mode and do my double-tap trick on the record button (far left) then play along, you get these long, cascading delays. Sounds great. But if you play a chord, then tap the record button once (thus turning it off) the DL4 will hold the chord you just finished playing...INFINITELY.

Want to start playing with the cascading sounds again? Tap the record button once and the frozen chord will then slowly fade out while you're playing over it.

It's not as flawless as the EHX HOG and essentially it's stuck on a super-fast loop, so you can hear a bit of pulsing. But still, VERY cool and useful.

8. randy morser

randy morser Member

how do you go in or out of true-bypass mode?

9. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Since this got bumped, I'll throw in the trick about using a dummy plug on the second output. This makes some so the delays (analog w/ chorus, for example) sound a lot better. You can use a George L plug.

Bryan

10. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

If I remember correctly, you power the unit up while holding the last switch down.

11. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Yessir... the stereo outputs are out of phase with one another (by design accident) and this sums them to mono, correcting the phase issue. It will wig out the ping pong and stereo delays, so don't do it if you're using something that's summing the stereo signal to one output...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

very cool thread...

13. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

first and last...

14. vitgit

vitgit Member

In adition to all mentioned above you can use DL-4 as a nice Ring Modulator too!

Here's the setting:

[​IMG]

Dl-4 is in a Reverse mode.

Here is a sound sample(played by Bill Frisell):

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/25/1539324/01-the-bag-man.mp3

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  15. mixtery

mixtery Member

Alright I have to stop lurking and go for my first post.
    This is a COOL thread and I'm into anything left-of-center when it comes to guitar sounds and Frisell is a cool cat. I dig my DL4 a lot more with this extra bag of tricks!

let me give a little of .:mob for my first post!

edit: wait does that mean I'm a Satanist?

16. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

Here's one I learned from Oz Noy:
    While soloing, press the half tempo switch then record a bar or two or that solo.It usually works better if you're playing 8th or 16th notes, anything as long as you're not just holding notes. Reverse it and press the half tempo switch to go back to regular speed.
    Now you have that line you recorded in double time and reversed. You can then get a stutter effect pressing the "play once" switch.
    It sounds pretty cool. People always ask what is that? How did you do that?

Try it out!

17. Mincer

Mincer Member

If you use the mod delay, with mix all the way to 100% (no direct signal), delay time at 0 and no repeats, you have a cool chorus pedal. Add some modulation and a fast speed, and you have a cool leslie.
    Use similar settings with the swell delay and you get a slow gear effect. Or with one of the vintage delays and you get a mild overdrive.

18. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

19. pmtrub

pmtrub Member

No, without the dummy plug you are getting mono sum from the mono output. By putting in the dummy plug, the DL4 thinks it's running in stereo, hence no phase issue.

20. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

You are correct, the summing happens when you're running mono. Goofed the wording, but the trick/concept works.