Favorite Tricks with the DL4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electron transl, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Damn. Makes me want a DL-4!

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

cool thread. I'm still learning to get the most out of mine onstage.

3. electron transl

electron transl Member

I just looked at this thread for the first time in months. Remembered some of the moves I'd forgotten! I have two DL4's (one Keeley modded the other stock). I was shocked at the difference in sound. Sad to say it, but the Keeley mod version was much mo' betta'. Well, I guess I'm not SAD, but the modded one currently resides on my espensive board that I don't usually take out too often. Therefore my cheaper/quicky board (DL4, DD-20, Tim, FD2, Trem) has been the main one used for months.

Again, I recommend getting the mod done by Keeley if you're using the DL4 consistently. It's worth the $100 or so.

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

100 isnt a lot of $ but its cheap either. I dont experience any tone suck and minimal volume loss with certain delay sounds - i use both dummy plugs... i guess what im saying/wondering is the $100 really going to make it *that* much better???

5. electron transl

electron transl Member

if the existing probs didn't bug you, then no. if you're a sensitive soul like myself, then yes.

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Holy crap, that's your 'cheap' board?!!!

7. cheesey

cheesey Member

makes a pretty decent doorstop:)

8. feedbacker89

feedbacker89 Member

ok so I got my hands on the expression pedal today and I'm trying to figure how to do this

when you increase the delay time, you get a sound that sounds like you are stretching the note, but when you put the expression pedal back up, you get a squeaky high pitch sound from shortening the delay time, makeing it almost unuseable, anyone found a way around this?

I tried sweeping repeats to zero, but for some reason you can still hear it, is that just my unit?

9. drod2045

drod2045 Member

whether digital or analog, thats going to happen

embrace the wierdness and make it musical :)

If you have a quick foot and do it at the right point of a transition in a song, its not noticeable or it 'just works'

Thats I do it live. YMMV

10. wesc

wesc Member

Sweet. I've been debating getting another one of these this December when I'm back in the states. I really want to get one of these with the mods from This1sMyne. If you really want to see what the DL4 is capable of, check out Minus the Bear. The main guitarist, Dave Knudson, uses four of them and the singer/guitarist has two. I heard that he also has three backups just in case they fail on tour. They use them mostly for looping. The song White Mystery is a perfect example of what the DL4s loops are capable of. Here's a pic of Dave's rig just for the heck of it.

[​IMG]

11. rider

rider Member

Last concert, humid outside, DL4 went down, middle of the concert, mouth to mouth, heart massage, nothing...I knew it will work the next day...., thanks for all the info.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

13. DemoColorScheme

DemoColorScheme Member

I personally dig the Tube Echo on the DL-4. It's a pretty unique delay in the way how it blends into a texture on higher tempo's and how bassy and different it gets on slower tempo's. The decay of the delay itself is pretty unique as well.
    I also found out that when you tap it really fast, you can get it into oscillation - at least, when you have the feedback up pretty high. It's a weird oscillation, very piercing and building!

About the Auto-Volume Echo:
    I'm reading that a lot of people use it at 100% wet. I'm not getting that? I never have a problem with it at 55% wet and the ramp-speed adjusted accordingly.

For the ones interested; I did a demo of my modded DL-4 a while ago. In the video you can see the Tube Echo trick and hear the Auto-Volume Echo in action, as well as the Analog w/mod [though not as interesting, really - I prefer my DMM's].

- Line 6 DL-4 [modded: Double Preset mod, Volume Drop mod & Custom Exterior] - Demo

14. Snakestrecher$

Snakestrecher$ Member

This is a great thread. Can't wait to go home an try out some of these tricks. Does anyone have any insights into how Mary halvorson gets her whammy effect. In an interview she says she uses dl4 but doesn't get into settings.

15. lukewilkes1237

lukewilkes1237 Member

I wonder if using the analog delay(boss DM-2) you could do all the ocsailations
    with non-true bypass(delays trail off), not touch your guitar and manipulate the pitch on the pedal:/:phones

16. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

What is meant by "dummy plug" ? Can you explain this in laymans terms to a noob?

17. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

A question for you DL4 gurus - when you are looping, and you go beyond the 14 seconds or whatever, does the loop automatically start playing from the start? My hazarai did this and it was the reason I returned it. I want something that I can leave on that's recording all the time, and then if I play something I like it is looped and I can play it back. Kind of like how Nels Cline uses his 16 second delay.

The hazarai bugged me because it would start stacking when the max loop time was up. It would also be cool if the DL4 could be adjusted to shorten the loop time (like the old 16 second delay) so you could have it loop only the last 8 seconds or something like that, but I don't think it does that.

edit: just occurred to me that you could record a loop of silence to set the loop time, might be something to try for anyone else who's interested in this.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  18. Stroboscapes

Stroboscapes Member

Just plug in a cable or a jack that doesn't lead to anything.

19. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Ah, thats what I figured, wanted to make sure. Thanks

20. jay1320

jay1320 Member

My trick was tapping in dotted eighths. The DL4 sure got me practice doing it.