Favorite XLR Cable?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSGoCards7, Jan 24, 2010.

1. LSGoCards7

LSGoCards7 Member

What is your favorite XLR cable? Mine is starting to develop some cracks and pops during recording and I want to get another. Any info is nice! Thanks.

2. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    1. Gotham GAC-3 with Neutrik Black and Gold connects.
    2. Canare L-4E6S
    3. Mogami W2549

Buy in bulk, build your own... much cheaper, much better

check www.redco.com

or just have them build 'em.

3. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Gotham is my favorite as well. Not quite as sturdy as Mogami, but quieter for sure.

4. landru64

landru64 Gold Supporting Member

i've been using evidence audio lyric and it sounds really great.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Any cable made with Mogami, Canare, or Belden cable, and Neutrik connectors, with decent strain relief, assembled by someone who knows how to use a soldering iron. No "boutique" cables for me ... I cobble my own.

6. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Canare quad, not sure what the model is. Bought lots of it from Redco(fantastic retailer btw). Add some Neutrik ends and you have a great quality cable for about half of what you pay in the store.

7. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Van Den Hul Integration Hybrid for static runs.

8. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting up this website, that is dangerous site for those that want to build cables!! Wow! The wallet is hurting already...

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

This.

I'll add my faves are the ones that:

A. Are the right length.

B. Are not broken.

10. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

When I went through my tax receipts last year I almost shat a brick at how much I had spent in cable, connectors, etc at Redco. It was worth it though, great place.

11. Marcocet

Marcocet Member

Stick with Neutrik connectors. Switchcrafts drive me nuts.

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>> Stick with Neutrik connectors. Switchcrafts drive me nuts.<<

The Neutriks assemble more easily to be sure. But the Switchcraft are very good products, and I like them for mic connections.

The cables with Switchcraft connectors that I had made for my studio 20 years ago still work, and I never have problems connecting them to various mics, because while they are indeed a bit fiddly to assemble, if you look at the female connector that goes into the mic, you will see two little spring loaded round things that make connecting easier and yet still permit a nice, tight connection with the mic. That's a pretty elegant design. They're also very smoothly finished, so the connection is made very easily.

In comparison, the Neutrik connectors are more roughly finished, and don't have the spring-loaded little round things. They simply get stuck into the mic, and the locking mechanism keeps them in place.

I have trouble getting the Neutriks into certain expensive mics in my collection, and I hate the idea of jamming a connector into a mic with a lot of force, which might cause me to drop the mic (this has unfortunately happened). I never have trouble with the Switchcraft product. This leads me to believe that the Austrian product may be slightly larger in diameter than the spec on the US product, probably due to different standards.

So I use Neutriks, which do assemble very easily, to connect gear in my racks to the mixer, etc., because I don't plug and unplug them; and I use cables with Switchcrafts for mic connections because in all honesty, they go in and come out more smoothly, and because of the smooth finish may be less likely to wear the mic's output connector's machining.

Back 20 years ago when I bought my first Neumann mic (when there were very few mic bargains!), it came with a Gotham cable and Switchcraft connectors in the box. I'd have thought Neumann would have chosen the Austrian product, but they didn't. Tells me something, because back in the day before the home studio revolution forced prices down, Neumann was pretty picky about quality.