Favorite ZIM cards/combos?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Jan 24, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am getting one of these ZIM pedals in a trade and was wondering what are your favorite cards? Thanks! I was thinking B9 and CS. Whatcha think?

2. dave s

dave s Member

Mine has the T+ card which was designed around the MXR Dist+ and a Vintage Rat pedal. It does everything from a smooth Soldano dist to nasty fuzz to pretty decent Mesa Mark tones. Very versatile.

But of course, I set it one place and use it for 80s dist rhythm tones only!

dave

ps: the other card in mine is the BB (buffer) and for the life of me can't figure out what its supposed to do.

3. jpagey

jpagey Member

I like the H9 and H9, Tar+ and Tar+ and Tar+ and BB. One of my favorite 2 channel od's. For versatility and the price, it can't be beat. When you see $300 od's out there with 2 independent channels that can't be stacked and then see the ZIM with all its versatility you realize what genius Dave Fox' idea really is.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Dave, you should do a card swap and send the buffer card in to foxrox it is only $10 to swap them out!

Derek

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, has anyone tried the Clean Smile AND the Vintage Tube? I don't mean together, but at all? I will buy a ZIM one day, and I am a low gain type of guy, but there's an interesting caveat on the website that implies that the clean smile might be TOO low gain for some tastes. Both the Clean smile and the Vintage Tube sound right up my alley, but if I actually pu this thing on my board, it will replace my cascading tubescreamers, so one of the cards has to be a tubescreamer for me. So does anyone have any input on those two cards? Hell, even if you've only tried one of em, please tell me how it sounds, in detail.
    Thanks.

6. jpagey

jpagey Member

They are both pretty low gain. Not my faves, but nice for boosting another ZIM od card or being a boost after a ZIM od card. If you want a ts style od, not sure these cards are the ticket...why not get the ZIM card that is voiced close to a booteek ts?

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

Well, there are three OD -type sounds that I use on a day-to-day basis. One is a Germanium fuzz, one is a tubescreamer, but the third and most important to me is the low-gain boost/drive type. So far I've found that FET-based pedals do this best (although my Analogman Beano Boost set for mid-boost instead of treble is pretty sweet). But my Foxrox Captain Coconut 2 is such a thing of beauty that I have really high hopes for the ZIM replacing 2 boxes on my board, the booster/driver and the tubescreamer. So a screamer card makes sense for the second position, but whether the Vintage Tube or the Clean Smile will be the right first position card is really my question. I will probably get it stock with the Vintage Tube in the A position and the H9 in the B position, but also buy a Clean Smile card, and just try all the combinations. Who knows, maybe a Clean Smile into a Vintage Tube will be a sound I can't live without and I'll just keep my two Tubescreamers on the pedalboard.

8. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I've heard most of the Zim cards and here's what I think:

VT sounds like the KOT.
    CS sounds like the a Fulldrive w/ flat mids engaged
    B9 sounds like a great modded TS
    H9 sounds like a hyper modded TS

My favorites are the VT and the B9. I also enjoyed the CS a lot. I did not like the H9...too hi-fi for me.

I haven't heard the T+, but I think it would be a perfect fit for the B channel in the ZIM..applying all the EQ curves to it would be a thing of beauty.

Beyond that, the ZIM is without a doubt the toughest pedal every made. That bad boy is one solid, manly hunk 'o pedal.

A

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I too am a low gain guy. I replaced an Analogman TS9 and Ibanez SD9 with the Zim with CS and H9. The CS is awesome...with the gain about 12 oclock it has plenty of grit to and this gets most of my playing time. The H9 is pretty hot but sounds perfect with the gain set lower..like a nasty but more articulate TubeScreamer...cleans up really nicely with the guitars controls. The two together work well the voicing meld together nicely.

I haven't taking my TS9 and SD9 out of the closet since I got the Zim. Zim is much quieter, has way more sounds in it (at a higher quality to my ears) and is just a wonderful pedal. 90% of my playing is just Zim into amp with a touch of verb. With a tele, sg, lester, hollowbody or shredder it sounds awesome. Do I sound like a fan?