Favourite big Fender combo for festivals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tremster, Feb 25, 2009.

1. tremster

tremster Member

Alright, this is for folks who have played at outdoor festivals or events and have stuck to a favourite big Fender combo through the years (or at least past few months). Please note that it has to be a current production model as I may be requesting it as backline. Preferably, your style of music will fall within the blues and roots range. Better still if you use a tele!

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Fender 65 RI Twin Reverb. Maybe not the best thing out there, but very consistent and readily available. Takes pedals exceptionally well, so a mildly set Tubescreamer can get you just about any roots rock tone you'd want, plus the TS and this amp can fake a good lower-powered amp breakup nicely while still moving enough air to satisfy on an outdoor festival stage.

3. In Tune

In Tune Member

But of course,, the Twin Reverb , served with Grey Poupon.:crazyguy

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

A Twin Reverb is still pretty damn clean even at reasonable volumes. I'd ask for a Super Reverb, crank it up, and mike through the PA.

-KD

5. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

At 85 watts I would think that a RI Twin would be the ticket for an outdoor venue, I don't believe Fender makes a more powerful RI Combo!

6. tremster

tremster Member

Like I guessed, the Twin Reverb will top the list.

Anyone tried the solid-state Steel King or Jazz King?

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Bada-Bing! Can't go wrong with a Twin reverb - but it's a little bit OVER-powered for anything this side of Webley Stadium, un-miked.

[​IMG]

You can get plenty of stage volume, and still get into a good sweetspot with a Blues DeVille. That's a 2x12; I really like the 4x10, too. My usual choice for the Oscars - and I play a lot of festivals...

Best,
    Cowboy

8. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Deluxe Reverb.......

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Vibro-King. Blues, roots, rock...perfect. Loves Teles.

10. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I've played alot of shows in the last few years with rental backline. It seems the two most popular "provided backline" amps are Fender Hotrod deluxes (usually 2x12) and reissue Twin Reverbs, no matter what you try to request.

Lately I've had some bad luck with the rental gear being in questionable condition, so trust me on this...request a PAIR of amps whatever you go with!

11. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yeah! Me too.

12. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Just like everyone else said.....Twin Reverb !

13. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Bassman...but they rarely ever have 'em.

Twins & Hot Rod Devilles abound though.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Twin or Blues Deville 4x10.

15. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I did a series of show last Summer where the backline was provided. The mopst popular amps were Fender Hot Rod Devilles either in a 2 x 12 or 4 x 10 speaker configuration.

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Good point. I had a 2x12 Blues Deville for years, and it WAS great for festivals, outdoor gigs and large rooms, especially with its combination of replacement speakers, a V30 and CL80.

Problem is the Hot Rod Deville clean channel sounds nothing like the Blues Deville's to my ears, and the Blues Deville 2x12 reissue isn't very commonly available - yet. Gotta remember that specing festival and venue supplied backline revolves heavily around what's available and easy to rent. Prolly more Twin Reverbs than anything else out there.

BTW, I found my Deville 2x12 was voiced very much like my old Marshall 1987 and really seemed to work best rolling the midrange way off. How about yours?

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

You mean Hotrod Devilles (2x12), and yes, that's been my experience too. HRDevilles and Twins. Of the two, I'd prefer the Twin Reverb with my own OD pedal, for years an early 80's TS9. The Hot Rod Deville just never did much for me.

18. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

I thought the B-DeVees were making their way into the system - I honestly don't know how available they are!

Like Marshalls, I always found that, as you get louder - you ned to add a bit more treble. But at modest levels - yeah, I cut the mids and boosted the highs a bit. I also use an Omnisonic attenuator as standard equipment with Blues Deluxes and Devilles.

To my taste, they have a bit more "shine" than Twins.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

19. tremster

tremster Member

Just got a used reissue Blues Deville in good condition for a good price. Man, it is freaking loud! I think I can play a stadium with it! On 2, it totally fills up a small room. You guys are right about using it for festivals.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009