• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Favourite not popular guitarist?

Bucksfan70

My thoughts in order of how I thought them:
Oh cool B.C. Rich!
Oh cool red PRS single cut.
Oh cool breasts.
Why does she have CDs on her wall?

But on a serious note, I though she burnt out in the first minute, she got right into the shreddy stuff without much build-up and the first third of the video left me feeling like there wasn't much reason to keep watching. This is an issue with alot of shredders, they get into the fast shred too quickly, before you get much warning.

I think a good example of shred done right is Surfing With the Alien (the album in general, but right now I'm talking about the song) The vast majority of the song is Satch playing melodies and fast, yet brief, runs to embelish the melody, building up to the faster tapping and shred stuff towards the end of the song.

But I did watch the whole thing, and good God I was blown away by the clean section! It really was quite awesome. I'd like to have seen more of that towards the start of the song as a build up into the distorted parts. But I thought it was enjoyable overall, and she had some very tastey licks in there. :dude

I was going to reply with him, but he is quite popular.

I think he has just about the fame he deserves. He had his day, like other bands, and doesn't get the spotlight as much anymore, but his fans are dedicated and he obviously made enough money touring to buy up almost all of the worlds Gibson Byrdlands!

And anyways, how many "not popular" people play with ZZ Top? (and at presidential rallies in 2016. I'm not talking politics just saying that was something he did)
yes. good point. usually, for most songs, the right place to lead up into "the peak" of a song, it's solo, is 3/4 the way near the end of the song (or 2/3 the way to the end if you have 2 solos) because after show your best licks, and everything culminates into that peak, the rest of the song is usually downhill. i mean you just blew your wad, right? yep.

i was just listening to some old dokken songs from under lock and key and almost all of george lynch's solos start right around the exact same time on every song (about 2 /3 the way through with 2 solo's total for the song with the 2nd one coming nearly at the end or the outro) and they are all a masterpiece.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Gold Supporting Member
With her new album out this coming weekend, I was reminded that I'd forgotten to post some Terra Lightfoot in this thread!

Needless to say, she's also my favourite singer of the past half decade or so... :D

rawkguitarist

Well... I don't like saying he's unpopular cause that sounds kinda negative. But my favorite off the beaten path guitarist is Dan Phelps. He's a member here (Furrila I think). He's a brilliant player, writer and often plays with my favorite drummer Matt Chamberlain (Tori Amos, John Mayer, Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians and 100 other artists). Dan also plays drums really well too.

Lastly - Dan is a super cool person and a gear nerd to boot.

Smacky the Frog

Platinum Supporting Member
I say Marc Ford and people want to know who he is. When I say his name to someone that knows his playing, it's like we instantly become friends, amazed that so many people into music doesn't even really know how good a player he is.

rawkguitarist

Are you on the site Paul teaches for?
Yup. Some of the most fun I've had in years. PG has been my favorite player/musician since I was 17. He works on lessons 7 days a week with huge smile on his face. Got to hang with him a bit last year in Dallas before a concert - was a blast talking about lessons and the school. I asked him if he ever gets burnt out on it. He said "I get to play rock guitar all day long. How could I get burnt out on that?".

BUT - I'm wanting to work on country again so the Guthrie Trapp lessons sound like a great way to do it.

Alex Lifeson? Not exactly obscure, but somehow has a low profile. One reason might be that the band itself is more tea and ice cream than drugs and rock 'n' roll and the corresponding lifestyle. Plenty of sex, though, as all the members are/were still together with the girls from their teenage years (except Peart, whose died). For the same reason, few love songs and none about not getting enough. :) But there is probably another reason: there are many good guitarists, several good bassists, and few good drummers. With Neil Peart, arguably the greatest rock drummer, and Geddy Lee, one of the, if not the, greatest rock bassists, he is just as good as they are but due to the lack of as much competition for the others tended to stay out of the limelight.

LordThurisaz

Alex Lifeson? Not exactly obscure, but somehow has a low profile. One reason might be that the band itself is more tea and ice cream than drugs and rock 'n' roll and the corresponding lifestyle. Plenty of sex, though, as all the members are/were still together with the girls from their teenage years (except Peart, whose died). For the same reason, few love songs and none about not getting enough. :) But there is probably another reason: there are many good guitarists, several good bassists, and few good drummers. With Neil Peart, arguably the greatest rock drummer, and Geddy Lee, one of the, if not the, greatest rock bassists, he is just as good as they are but due to the lack of as much competition for the others tended to stay out of the limelight.
You gotta showboat to get noticed in an arena with Ace, Eddie, Page, Perry, etc. Alex doesn't showboat.

DonaldDemon

Duane Denison of Jesus Lizard/Tomahawk/Firewater/USSA/Hank Williams III. He has such a unique approach to tone and playing and a style that is all his own.

Trending Topics