• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Favourite not popular guitarist?

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Growing up around early era Goo Goo Dolls, John Rzeznik was a guitar idol of mine. He was cool back then playing super strats playing hook after hook and throwing in some wild solos.

As he transitioned towards poppier styles he wrote some really memorable tunes with some wildly unorthodox tunings and I loved it.

The last great record they had out was “Gutterflower” and the last few records are nothing, but an obligation to Warner Brothers, but I still can’t help holding onto all of the material that actually made me love the band.

LordThurisaz

Growing up around early era Goo Goo Dolls, John Rzeznik was a guitar idol of mine. He was cool back then playing super strats playing hook after hook and throwing in some wild solos.

As he transitioned towards poppier styles he wrote some really memorable tunes with some wildly unorthodox tunings and I loved it.

The last great record they had out was “Gutterflower” and the last few records are nothing, but an obligation to Warner Brothers, but I still can’t help holding onto all of the material that actually made me love the band.

He looked like Eddie Van Cobain at one point and did a song for Freddy's Dead, which kicks ass.

Burning Hammer

Silver Supporting Member
I hope it's not disrespectful to any of these musicians, listing them as "not popular"....I would prefer "deserve more respect" instead:
Jim Weider
Buddy Whittington
Phil Brown
Joe Holmes
Jason Bieler

GabbiCthulhu

Billy Duffy. Huge influence on my playing and tone.

Carlos Alomar is another huge favorite. Wonderful player and sideman to different lead guitarists.

Mooselake

My apologies if I participated in the past and forgot. I don't even remember their names but the guys who played in the original Alice Cooper band before he broke it up. Also my double-ex brother-in-law (ex-wife's sister's ex-husband).

Classical guitarist Ben Bolt too, who I've only heard via a demo cd that came along with a book of Bach pieces he arranged for guitar. I never learned the pieces, but it's one of my favorite classical guitar recordings and probably the one I listen to most.

My favorite guitarist is Alex Lifeson, who while not household name, I assumed was too popular (at least among Gear Pagers) to fit the intent of the question.

I'm sure they are appreciated by quite a few people but Marc Ribot...love his expressionist approach.

...and Junior Watson...such amazing phrasing.

Trending Topics