Favourite OD Pedal to use with a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Marc Roy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'll be getting my Suhr Tele in about a month, and I'm thinking of picking up a new OD box with it. Right now, I'm using a Barber Burn Unit EQ into my Maz Sr. set clean. Sounds great. I wouldn't mind picking up something to compliment it, since I,m using the Barber for really low gain stuff (using the tweed setting suggested by Dave). Any opinions on other pedals would be appreciated.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Try an Xotic BB.

3. mwittoesch

mwittoesch Member

I picked up a Small Fry (Burn Unit) to used with a tele and had to get rid of it because it was just too noisy. It was horrible with single coils. The Timmy, othe the other hand, is as quite as can be. Stacked with a Zendrive, its hard to beat.

4. minjason

minjason Member

The Fulltone OCD is a very versatile OD that works great with teles...and if you have the cash, i'd recommend the Landgraff DO and MoD.

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I use the SilverKiss for low gain Tele clarity.

I got 2 UPDATE: I just got a Menatone HOWIE (7 knobs 1 switch) a couple of days ago and after a while tweaking it, I got it to work as a multi-mid tone shaper (Huh?). It's like I finally heard what mids are suppose too sound like, with a 3D quality that sounds "alive" and not dull from the back of the speaker cabinet. Also sounds great going into other pedals. Now I can't play without it! It adds girth to the notes and puts a little hair on them. And still has awesome note seperation with chords!! Worth checking out but hard to tweak, if like your clean tone and want to add layers of musical mids and some growl. This may be it.

6. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

My Jetter Gain Stage Red is my favorite with a tele.

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

My Barber Small Fry Direct Drive both work very well with my Teles--no noise problems for me. The Small Fry is pretty similar to the Burn Unit, so probably not much point in adding that. You might find the Direct Drive interesting if you're looking for a higher-gain pedal.

8. mild

mild Member

Tim and Timmy give a really nice "chunk/grit" to Telecasters - and the EQ makes them perfect for dialing in exactly what YOU want to hear. Its just a brilliant, brilliant pedal.

Otherwise, you can't go past a Hotcake - especially if you're using an EL84 amp, or a JTM45 style amp. Gold!

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Right now its an Allums Modded BD-2 or is it the ...

10. doublee

doublee Member

11. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

i used tele-hotcake-ac30 for years to get my tone, to me it's the ultimate combo. i recently switched to a princeton and am experimenting with an eternity. so far i like the results.

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

Eternity or Zendrive

13. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

My Suhr Tele sounded killer with an RC Booster into an AC30. Ridiculous tone. Which p/ups did you get in it?

14. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

Nobels ODR-1 or ODR-S has been a Nashville standard for years. A tele thru a Fender type amp with one of these has all the spank you could ever want.

cletus

15. karlo

karlo Member

I'm using a Barber Small Fry for medium gain, and using a Barber LTD SR after it for low gain. Gives a great light crunch to it, the guitar's tone shines through (really flat EQ), and stacked after the Small Fry gives a little more hair to the smoothness of the Small Fry.

16. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Menatone Blue Collar and Red Snapper sound great with my brother's Tele when I've borrowed it. Prior to that, the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde sounded really good.

17. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I do the Tele to Hotcake into clean amps and it certainly works well. I also like the Butler TD for more of a amp type sound.

18. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I like the idea of a Zendrive being good with a Tele or a Jetter Red.... More then Likely a KOT as well.

19. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The SRB 808+ with the fat switch on. Killer!