Favourite Overdrives Only

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shuffle, Oct 11, 2005.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

Whats your Favourite Overdrive and a brief description of its tonal characteristics.

Cheers,

2. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I love the Eternity. Why? It doesn't make you sound like you are playing through a different amp--its more like MORE of the existing amp and axe. As a second choice. the Fulldrive II is pretty reliable for getting the dirt, but the Eternity has something special that no other pedal has.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

NVN Bronto Boost. It's been my number one for about 2 years now.

It can sound like a fuzz or a treble booster. It can do a fat chunky rythme OD or a searing OD.
    My favorite setting is to get my amp working then kick the Bronto on for lead boosts. Sounds like my amp but bigger and with the rich harmonics of a fuzz pedal.

4. modRod

modRod Member

baldringer dualdrive.

sounds like an extension of my amp. most "natural", transparent and open sounding overdrive i´ve heard till now. very, very tweakable. and it delivers the sound of a cranked tube amp at low volumes, too.

have a look at it

http://www.dual-drive.de/index_e.htm

arndt

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

honey bee. it's so incredibly dynamic. i've never played a pedal that acts that much like an amp. hats off to bjorn for that one!

klon would be my 2nd choice. i love how it makes my solos stand out over the drums. it's really perfect for live use. i rarely use it when i'm playing at home because of all of that midrange, but thats not what its made for anyway.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Plus 1!!:AOK

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

Menatone Kar Krash -it does every shade of dirt, always in its own way. Sounds quite "boutique". I have tried MANY boost pedals and quite a few drives as well. The Klon was nice, but this has it pretty well covered. The TIM/Timmy excelled at cleaish-to-dirtyish, and the Kar Krash has those sounds too. The "Cut" knob adds compression and robustness while being a tad dark, but that's ever so useful when you dial the Gain and Volume knobs in accordance with your guitar's volume. The cut knob when down sounds like the Tim/Timmy. Bring it up, and it's more pedal-like (dare I say tubescreamerish? -more noticeable anyway). This is like the only pedal you need. The fast/grad switch also improves the versatility to where this one pedal is it. All the sounds are good, and it's not easily identifiable as Marshally or Fendery. Blends in nicely with the amp...

8. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Since you said "Overdrives", I'll include a few. I've posted opn these several times, but what the hey....I love talking about them!

My favorite is one I don't own....but will have soon....a Pedalworx Texas Two Step.

I was able to borrow one for a few weeks and every guitar and amp I used it with was wonderful. The TTS allows the inherent tone of your gear to shine through while massaging the notes in wonderful, rich detail. A very inspiring pedal to play with and one that begs you to continue playing. Not a bad setting to be found. The added boost funtion is gravy. Organic, responsive, rich and satisfying. I was bit put off bit my pre-conceived SRV assumptions, but was pleased to find this pedal is so much more. While those tones can be found, the beauty with this pedal lies in the ability to find your own voice.

My long standing Vox Valve Tone has sent many great pedals down the road. Those include a Barber Direct Drive, several TS-9's, a few Blues Drivers, a Reverend Drive Train, etc. While all of those pedals are great, the Valve Tone sounds better with my rig than all the others. The low gain settings are very good for the "on the edge" blues tones I love. Complex chord voicings retain their individuality and single notes sing with passion. Very responsive to my touch. As the gain control reaches it's maximum setting, the harmonic complexity increases. The VT loves single coils and sings with Cream like goodness with humbuckers. The tone control is worthless ( I leave it all the way off ) for my needs, but everything else about it works perfect for me. With the gain dimed and the tone control on my guitar rolled off, the tone is so smooth.

While not as much gain on tap as the VT, my old black box Marshall Bluesbreakers are very similar in scope to the VT ....these pedals scream "PLAY ME" and respond to my gutiars volume control better than most pedals I've used. I keep using works like "rich"-"Harmonic complexity-"organic---but this is whre these pedals live.

The bluesbreaker plays like an amp. At first, I was using them with the gain full on....but I have come to appreciate the fat tones that live with it backed off just a wee bit. Not the most veritile pedal in the world and as stated, the controls do little till near the end of their rotation, but Lord oh mighty...what a tone!! Everything from BB, Albert, early Clapton to Allman Bros tones. A fantastic pedal for playing the blues.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The Clay Jones Overdrive.

Sweet, open attack that turns into a slightly compressed, harmonically active tone rich in feedback and swells. Plenty of volume and gain on tap. Perfect for rhythm or lead, it sounds like a great amp with a tube rectifier, cranked---and this is into an amp set totally clean, not pushed. It also sounds equally good through a pushed tube amp.

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have sold almost everything because nothing can beat the Klon. I'm still looking to get the Landgraff and a Clay Jones.

11. mustangman

mustangman Member

12. threm

threm Member

ModRod, do you have the Baldringer? If so, could you post the measures of the pedal?
    Hopefully it`s not as big as it looks.

How`s the general voicing of the pedal (marshally, fendery, neutral ...)?

Thanks !

13. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Hermida Zendrive- plenty of gain for me and really sweet. Good sustain and gets to that space where my guitar seems more interactive with my fingers. Small, so it takes up little room on the pedal board.

14. glynn

glynn Member

The Blues Pro. Great dynamics, feel, and string to string definition. Sounds more like a pre than a pedal, and works well with every amp I own.

And boy does it sound sweet and clear when you roll off some volume. Does not get thin at all.

My fave by far.

15. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Timmy and Liquid Sunshine.

The Timmy makes everything clearer, not necessarily brighter, just more present. Like somebody just cleaned my tubes.

The Liquid Sunshine does a lot of sounds, but I really like the Gain 2 maxed, pushing the mids and highs. I'm a Tele player - I like it bright and hot.

16. ABKB

ABKB Member

I will probably get laughed at for this one, but right now, (and I have yet to try a tim, timmy or Klon but hope to soon) I got a Danelectro Wasabi OD that just kills. On its own it sounds awful, but as a kick in the pants when I am already using some dirt, it just fills the room. On top of that it's got a 10db (or 5 if you want) clean boost on it. Has lots of different settings to tweak, but I set it and forget it. It may be unseated someday by something boootique, but right now, it's the shnizzel.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My TC Jauernig DGTM. Extremely versatile pedal, can be either transparent or slightly compressed and smooth, and does everything from low to mid gain OD. Combined with my boost pedal, it actually gets bumped into a heavier OD category.

18. shuffle

shuffle Member

hahahaha!

( thought i would be first to laugh :D)

These pedals all sound great so far - The reason why i started this thread is that im looking for a new overdrive.

Can decide over a:

Tim / Timmy
    Fulldrive II and
    Brooklyn Overdrive

Hmmm. I think Fulldrive II is the most likely one - but i want something different, unique.

Cheers everyone!

19. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The original Gainster is the most amp-like and natural sounding overdrive I have played. Yes, better than the Tim.

The tweed vibe is perfection if you play a 6V6 or EL-84 based amp - the Gainster pedal lays down the very best tweed tone - whether as a standalone overdrive or as a base tone when stacked.

The Eternity is close but too smooth to be in the same class.

20. erksin

erksin Member

Timmy and MI Audio Blue Boy here.

Mosferatu is pretty damn great as well...