FD-2 MOSFET: Surprisingly pleased...

sshan25

Supporting Member
I have owned seventy bazillion OD pedals (well, that’s an exaggeration – maybe sixty bazillion) over the years. I have tried a few of them twice, going back to reassess an earlier opinion based on hearing something I thought sounded good at a later date. Anyway I’ve never owned any pedal at three different times – until now. I was at the local GC over the weekend and noticed a used Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET for 99 bucks. I have owned 2 Fulldrives over the years – one in the mid nineties and the second around 2003. I didn’t like the first one which was the original Fulldrive. I thought it was muddy and I never could get used to the comp cut boost which I thought added way too much volume when engaged. A few years later, a friend had an FD-2 and used it through my rig one night. I thought it sounded pretty good so I ran across a used one at a pretty good price and picked it up. I thought it was better than the first one but as with so many OD pedals, something shiny and new came along and replaced the FD-2 on my board. Recently I’ve been listening to David Grissom’s new album “10,000 Feet” and have been digging the incredible tones he gets. While on his web page, I saw a pic of his pedal board and noticed he uses a red FD-2. When I saw the FD-2 at GC for only $99, I thought, “if this box is good enough for DG, maybe I missed something before". After I got it home, I went to Grissom’s web site again to check how he set his. I noticed the that his was not a MOSFET version and that mine had an additional switch (MOSFET – Standard). I was a little disappointed at first, thinking I had bought the wrong model. I thought of returning it but decided to test drive it anyway. I plugged my Hamer Monaco Elite into it and fired up my Gries Twenty. I set the switches on vintage/MOSFET with all of the controls at noon and let it rip. Holy crap, this big blue box sounded really good! I was immediately impressed. I don’t think it sounds much like either of my previous FD’s and I wasn’t copping much of a David Grissom vibe but I have to say I like this pedal a lot. Since the weekend, I’ve been experimenting with all of the various settings and seem to be favoring the FM/ MOSFET mode with the drive about 11 the best. Anybody else out there digging this box? I realize that I’m fickle when it comes to pedals but this is the first thing I’ve bought in a long time that didn’t take me a while to bond with.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I have a love/hate with the FD2. It really agrees with my Blues Jr., and has some great sounds. For $140, it's a great dual mode pedal.

JUSTJOB

I have two of them and love them both very much. One is a non Mosfet version Blue with toggle, and the other is a Red 10th Anniversary edition with the Mosfet. They both have their strengths, and I have been enjoying the FD2 for a few years now, probably always will.:D

mattwasserman

99 bucks is a pretty good score for a FD2, especially considering you are enjoying it. Mine (Blue MOSFET FD2) sounds great with my DR, not so much with my 1974x. Suits my needs well, I find it especially good for slide and if I get sick of the same sound it is pretty versatile.

Isn't the MOSFET/Standard switch only engaged when using the boost mode?

billygoat

99 bucks is a pretty good score for a FD2, especially considering you are enjoying it. Mine (Blue MOSFET FD2) sounds great with my DR, not so much with my 1974x. Suits my needs well, I find it especially good for slide and if I get sick of the same sound it is pretty versatile.

Isn't the MOSFET/Standard switch only engaged when using the boost mode?

The mosfet switch has no effect in boost mode.

Fifthstone

Gold Supporting Member
Like JUSTJOB, I have both. I love the new one. It's more aggressive while still being smooth in vintage mode. The MOSFET switch seems to add a bit more muscle, but it's a subtle change. Biggest difference between the two is that I love the vintage mode with boost on this one, while I found the vintage mode in the older version too muddy. The marketing hype is right. It does sound like a blanket has been removed, at least for the vintage mode. I always liked the FM mode best. Either way, this is an extremely versatile and toneful pedal. Like most Fulltone stuff, it doesn't sound good at bedroom volumes. You need gig-level output to really get the goods. I think it delivers in spades.

i had an FD2 10th Anniversary mosfet. although i thought it sounded good, it didn't blow me away. i think what i disliked about it was that, to my ears, i didn't feel the boost switch added a whole lot in the sense that i didn't hear a huge gain difference from the noon position through all the way up..... i ended up never using the boost switch so just ended up selling it.

i'm currently using a KOT which i really like as you can switch the boost side to either the first or the second channel and you can achieve a significant difference in volume/gain if you wanted....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom