• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

FD-2 MOSFET: Surprisingly pleased...

sshan25

Supporting Member
I have owned seventy bazillion OD pedals (well, that’s an exaggeration – maybe sixty bazillion) over the years. I have tried a few of them twice, going back to reassess an earlier opinion based on hearing something I thought sounded good at a later date. Anyway I’ve never owned any pedal at three different times – until now. I was at the local GC over the weekend and noticed a used Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET for 99 bucks. I have owned 2 Fulldrives over the years – one in the mid nineties and the second around 2003. I didn’t like the first one which was the original Fulldrive. I thought it was muddy and I never could get used to the comp cut boost which I thought added way too much volume when engaged. A few years later, a friend had an FD-2 and used it through my rig one night. I thought it sounded pretty good so I ran across a used one at a pretty good price and picked it up. I thought it was better than the first one but as with so many OD pedals, something shiny and new came along and replaced the FD-2 on my board. Recently I’ve been listening to David Grissom’s new album “10,000 Feet” and have been digging the incredible tones he gets. While on his web page, I saw a pic of his pedal board and noticed he uses a red FD-2. When I saw the FD-2 at GC for only $99, I thought, “if this box is good enough for DG, maybe I missed something before". After I got it home, I went to Grissom’s web site again to check how he set his. I noticed the that his was not a MOSFET version and that mine had an additional switch (MOSFET – Standard). I was a little disappointed at first, thinking I had bought the wrong model. I thought of returning it but decided to test drive it anyway. I plugged my Hamer Monaco Elite into it and fired up my Gries Twenty. I set the switches on vintage/MOSFET with all of the controls at noon and let it rip. Holy crap, this big blue box sounded really good! I was immediately impressed. I don’t think it sounds much like either of my previous FD’s and I wasn’t copping much of a David Grissom vibe but I have to say I like this pedal a lot. Since the weekend, I’ve been experimenting with all of the various settings and seem to be favoring the FM/ MOSFET mode with the drive about 11 the best. Anybody else out there digging this box? I realize that I’m fickle when it comes to pedals but this is the first thing I’ve bought in a long time that didn’t take me a while to bond with.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I have a love/hate with the FD2. It really agrees with my Blues Jr., and has some great sounds. For $140, it's a great dual mode pedal.

JUSTJOB

I have two of them and love them both very much. One is a non Mosfet version Blue with toggle, and the other is a Red 10th Anniversary edition with the Mosfet. They both have their strengths, and I have been enjoying the FD2 for a few years now, probably always will.:D

mattwasserman

99 bucks is a pretty good score for a FD2, especially considering you are enjoying it. Mine (Blue MOSFET FD2) sounds great with my DR, not so much with my 1974x. Suits my needs well, I find it especially good for slide and if I get sick of the same sound it is pretty versatile.

Isn't the MOSFET/Standard switch only engaged when using the boost mode?

billygoat

Silver Supporting Member
99 bucks is a pretty good score for a FD2, especially considering you are enjoying it. Mine (Blue MOSFET FD2) sounds great with my DR, not so much with my 1974x. Suits my needs well, I find it especially good for slide and if I get sick of the same sound it is pretty versatile.

Isn't the MOSFET/Standard switch only engaged when using the boost mode?
The mosfet switch has no effect in boost mode.

Fifthstone

Like JUSTJOB, I have both. I love the new one. It's more aggressive while still being smooth in vintage mode. The MOSFET switch seems to add a bit more muscle, but it's a subtle change. Biggest difference between the two is that I love the vintage mode with boost on this one, while I found the vintage mode in the older version too muddy. The marketing hype is right. It does sound like a blanket has been removed, at least for the vintage mode. I always liked the FM mode best. Either way, this is an extremely versatile and toneful pedal. Like most Fulltone stuff, it doesn't sound good at bedroom volumes. You need gig-level output to really get the goods. I think it delivers in spades.

i had an FD2 10th Anniversary mosfet. although i thought it sounded good, it didn't blow me away. i think what i disliked about it was that, to my ears, i didn't feel the boost switch added a whole lot in the sense that i didn't hear a huge gain difference from the noon position through all the way up..... i ended up never using the boost switch so just ended up selling it.

i'm currently using a KOT which i really like as you can switch the boost side to either the first or the second channel and you can achieve a significant difference in volume/gain if you wanted....

Trending Topics