FD2 comparison with TS RI 808?

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
I used to own a FD2 MOSFET , and currently own a Analogman TS 808. I'm thinking I like the AM better for the TS tone..but its been a long while since ive owned the FD. I realize the FD2 is more versitle. Part of me would like to get back a FD2 , really for its comp cut. I don't want to give up my TS tone that I like though. My question is does the FD do the TS sound as well as the AM TS 808 RI? Thanks for any comparative thoughts.

Rockerduck

No. Not to me. I had the FD2 and TS808, both stock. Side by side the TS808 won. I had the Analogman TS808 vintage and couldn't tell the difference between my stock and modded TS808.

TheGuildedAge

I'm in the minority that seems to prefer a ts9 or ts10 style over an 808.

I think the fd2 is different than the 808, but I prefer it.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Again, this is from memory, but it seems the TS 808 has more of a mid hump than the FD2. For what I'm going for , I like that. FD2s are cheap enough used, I may pick one up just to A/B them. Thanks guys, and keep the thoughts coming.

abnerfm

I had both. As far as I know, the FD-2 is based on the TS-9, not TS-808, which is smoother. Having said that, at the time I kept the FD-2 because it sounds a bit clearer in the highs, and at 18 Volts this quality got even better. Now I'm using a klone for the mid-hump thing.

johnh

I had a FD2 and an original TS808 side by side for a long time, and was consistently able to set the FD2 up to achieve amost exaclty the same tone when used in vintage mode. It was close enough that no one would ever have been able to notice the difference.

Having said that, if we're into cork sniffing, there is no doubt in my mind that I preferred the 808. It was very close , but that 808 was the best sounding tubescreamer I've ever heard.

But the two could definitely be set up to sound very, very similar.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
very cool johnh! thanks for that input. as i said, i often think about going back to an FD2..but really cant justify it with my 808...or maybe i can!

slap_back05

I've had my pre-MOSFET FD2 and for a couple years had a Analogman TV808. They were very close like johnh said, however I will say that I prefered the Fulldrive. It just has something to my ear that works perfectly live.

I've also had a stock TS808ri recently and did not like it. It didn't have the clarity of the other two, and functionally the switch and LED sucked.

This is probably gonna be one of those personal preference things though.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
I used to own a FD2 MOSFET , and currently own a Analogman TS 808. I'm thinking I like the AM better for the TS tone..but its been a long while since ive owned the FD. I realize the FD2 is more versitle. Part of me would like to get back a FD2 , really for its comp cut. I don't want to give up my TS tone that I like though. My question is does the FD do the TS sound as well as the AM TS 808 RI? Thanks for any comparative thoughts.
I own a couple of AM modded to 808 spec Tubescreamers and a FD2. IMO, the FD2 does not do the Tubescreamer sound as near as well.

To my ears the FD2 (even when set in the Vintage mode) still has quite a bit less midrange push and doesn't cut near as well. It's a more relaxed, laid back and polite type of Tubescreamer tone & feel whereas the AM modded TS's sound and feel punchier and more direct and have more clarity.

I love & use both - but for different applications. FWIW, I personally wouldn't be satisfied using my FD2 as a substitute for my TS's - and vise versa.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
thats what my memory is of the comparison fireball. not side by side..but i was thinking the 808 had a cut that the FD did not have.

Trending Topics