FD2 & FD2 Mosfet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Jr, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Can anyone chime in with the differences between the FD2 & FD2 Mosfet?
    Tone, sound, feel and all that? I was thinking of picking one up. I've read yay's and nay's for both of them.

Thx

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Most of what I've read is that the Mosfet option is a very subtle addition to a fantastic stage pedal.

3. TimH

TimH Member

Mosfet beefs the tone up a bit...adds some more lows back into the signal and is a bit smoother.

4. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

the new mosfet allows you to do both.

5. batlas

batlas Member

i found the mosfet to be way to harsh, even with the treble at 0 (was it treble? cant remember what the conrol was) but yeah harsh. Loved the original though but the boost on both was useless.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I have the MOSFET edition, but never use the mosfet setting. I prefer the standard setting. Keep in mind to hear the mosfet difference, the higher the drive knob goes the more you'll be able to tell the difference. I run my drive knob about 10:00, and can tell little if any difference when switching to mosfet.

I actually just got an older FD2, and will probably sell my mosfet... I don't need it because I don't use it.

7. gregory49

gregory49 Member

i have the regular one, don't use it since i got the LDO but its a good overdrive and very versatile, stacks great with a Keeley BD2 ;)

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I use both the standard and mosfet toggle depending on my mood that day. To my old tired ears, the newest version sounded just a bit better than my older FDII but either are great pedals and sound very good recorded.

9. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I am hoping to also hear some opinions on the difference between the 10th Anniv. FD2 and the newest Mosfet version. I only became aware about a week ago that there was another upgrade.

I have the 10th Anniv model and I use the mosfet setting. The word "harsh" certainly doesn't come to my mind when I use this pedal. I use the FM and Mosfet settings. This pedal has a pretty good crunch to chords with the drive about 11:00 and the boost off and goes into pretty smooth singing sustain with the boost engaged anything 12:00 and up on the boost. I was using a SD1 before this pedal and I think there is no comparisonn to sound and versatility.

I know the FD2 isn't thought very highly of on this forum and I still think it lacks something that I can't put my finger on. I'm also expecting to not have to stack a double OD with another OD. Anyway, I just got a Zendrive and haven't spent much time with it yet but so far has not blown me out of the water over the FD2.

But I would still like to compare the 10th Anniv to the newest version.

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Fulldrive2 10th Anniv. is an excellent pedal, not ever harsh at all, nice tone, smooth sustain, and like "gregory49" I like it running into a Keeley BD2 for leads at times. As far as whether the FD2 is thought highly of here....it was, and still is. It is a very nice OD, no doubt about it.
    Best Regards!

11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

truth be told, I think most of TGP knows and agrees the FD2 is atleast an A- grade pedal. There are probably only a few on here who would say they honestly couldn't gig with it. but... TGP is partly about the ultimate search for the subjective "perfect" tone for each individual guitarist. For some its the fulldrive- but many of us are looking for something a little bit difference. for me- I graduated from a fulldrive 2 to a search for smoother and more transparent pedals. but thats all me.

Fulldrive is a modern day classic. I don't even think that can honestly be contested. Its tones are GORGEOUS at stage volumes. Thats fairly incontestable as well. Its not the holy grail for everyone, but it is sweet.

on the mosfet option- honestly, I like it better turned off so I never upgraded from my early early flat-mids model. never should have sold my first fulldrive back in the day...

12. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I don't find it sooo much harsh as it is cutting and with more bite and gain whereas the older model was a lot bassier.

I haven't decided which I like better, but I tend to prefer the bassy sound more, but my friend has told me the Mosfet sounds better on me... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

13. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll have to find one to play sometime.

14. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

My old blue with black knob FD2 actually has a touch less bass than the new mosfet version.

Weirdly enough, I tend to still use the new version with Les Pauls in flat mids mode. Pretty great. Not as into it with strats.

I busted out my old TS9 and am having great fun with that on the strats. Pretty inspiring. Even over the Eternity.

15. misterbeane

misterbeane Member

To my ears, the mosfet setting takes away some of the purity of the regular FD2 sweetness. Like thiscalltoarms said, the FD2 is AMAZING at stage volumes, as I've found that unless your tube amp is cranked it's really not getting a chance to shine, but that's normally the case with most OD pedals anyways. You might as well spend the extra $10-20 or so to get the newer mosfet version (just get a used on off of here or ebay) so that you can have both settings to try. I don't use the mosfet setting much at all, but it's still nice having it for a change of tone every once in a while.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I do not like the the later FD's, they all seem a little harder in the high end. They might have more range but it's not a good range. I have a very odd FD model that was made between the original orange and the first blue with the comp cut. Mine has a pull boost but it's not a comp cut, it adds more volume especially to the boost side. What I notice is the highs get a little more bite and it sings out more when the boost is engaged, I do have to be careful though because it gets really loud quickly.

I just bought a FD with the FM and the comp cut, I'm going to try using them back to back. I like the idea of the flat mid option or the comp cut boosting the original voicing.

One thing to try if you can is set your amp 20 feet from you and play all you so called holy grail stuff from a distance, I did this last night and was astounded at the difference in tone. I think too many times we tend to sit right next to our amp and really never hear the stuff the way it will actually sound to the audience.

17. Snakum

Snakum Member

That's why I didn't care for the FullDrive. It simply could not be used (for me) as a second amp channel on a good, clean tube amp. And for goosing an already-cranked amp the Bad Monkey is as good as anything, and better than many. That's also why I love the MojoDrive. You can goose an already driven amp with it or switch to the 'Marshall' mode and have a second/third channel. The FD was just too run-of-the mill and one dimensional to justify the cost and pedalboard space, for my needs.

(But then again I thought the ZenDrive was "Ho-hum" too. :D )

18. guitarcec

guitarcec Member

i have an old FD2 (FM model with no switch), and a 10th Anniversary Mosfet, as well. even the flat mid FD2 had too much mids for my taste - i guess i just don't like the tube screamer sound. the 10th Ann. in Mosfet/FM mode had much less mids, and much better bass response. the frequency response is much closer to my OCD v3, just a different flavor now, with more "squish" to it. BTW, i leave the boost on all the time - and i find it VERY useful. it works perfectly with my rig. it's never harsh, and sounds really thick through my Bassman. i'm probably going to try a Blackstone Mosfet as well, but i think the 10th Ann. is on my board to stay...

19. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I have a 10th Anniv Mosfet (I probably already posted to this thread but am too tired to look) I use it in the Mosfet/FM mode and I wish there was an adjustment to the "squishiness". I don't understand Snakum's post. You say that it's not good for a clean amp and then you go on to describe another pedal that you still don't use on a clean amp. I play a 335 through a '69 Pro Reverb and the rason WHY I like this pedal is because I'm playing through a clean amp. This gives me a 3 channel setup which is great for me. I will agree that the FD2 does better at gigging volume but the Pro is still clean at that volume. Also I find that no matter what I'm never too loud and always sit right in the mix.

20. Snakum

Snakum Member

You need to reread Snakum's post. I think ya missed sump'n. :D