FD2 Vs. Diamond J-Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisr0712, Sep 7, 2008.

1. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Trying to decide between these 2. I already have a TS808ri that I like and don't want to be redundant.
    Any preferences with single coils?
    Thanks

2. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

If you have a TS808ri, I would stay away from the FD2. Its got the same opamp, and its in the same tonal ball-park. I would look at the J-Drive with the treble boost on it. Its a really great pedal. I looked hard at that one, and opted for the Zen Drive. Although, every time I stomp on the OCD, I think about the J!!!

3. bduguay

bduguay Member

If you're set on getting either one or the other of those 2 pedals then I suggest the J-Drive as well. From everything I've heard, the FD-2 is TS based so you've already got that covered. I have the J-Drive and can tell you it has a unique sound and design feature that's different and cool enough to warrant getting.
    B.

4. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

thanks guys...going with the J-Drive MkIII!

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Try to find a Jdrive TR with the treble boost. It's well worth any extra you'd pay.

I went to buy a fulldrive once.. not even in the ballpark.

6. impactblue

impactblue Member

How do the FD2 and the Diamond drive differ?

7. woude

woude Member

I tried all Diamond Drives but the newer MkIII.

When talking about the overdrive part of both pedals (so not the clean boost of the J-Drive or the compcut mode of the FD2) I would say the diamond is a bit more defined, less compressed, has a more raw & rude quality, a bit less gain, a bit rolled of highs and lows, more natural eq, better for chords, even less good at home and even more amazing live than the fulldrive. The diamond opens up completely at higher volume settings. The J-Drive is more allround, the FD2 immediately makes me think about the blues and 'Nashville'.

The timmy could duplicate my favorite setting of the J-Drive TR, which I owned as well, so I traded it away.

8. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

+1, agreed!

cheers,
    Ian

9. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

J-Drive all the way, if you have to have one.

A better option would be the Silverkiss or Small Fry.