FDII - mistaken creamy for muffled?

wragen22

Hi folks, I am thinking of getting rid of my fulldrive II mosfet. I can't get past the "muffled" tone that I am getting. Am I mistaking this for that creamy tone everyone talks about? I keep wanting to turn the tone knob all the way clockwise to get a clearer tone and more treble. I'm finding I much prefer my Timmy, with it's sweet clear OD tone.

Current setup is super champ xd, clean channel - either strat or tele.

Is it possible I'm using it totally wrong?

mlt1214

What setting are you on? I personally find the same issue with mine when I use the vintage mode. I prefer FM with the tone a little past noon. It's slightly less compressed which may be what you're hearing. Also try running it at more than 9 volts, it'll open it up a little more.

wragen22

I've also found staying away from vintage mode helps. Could that be my problem? Running at 9 volts?

mlt1214

Could be... lots of folks around here run their FD2's and OCD's at 12-18 volts to get a little more headroom. It's a different sound, which may be worth trying in your case. Fulltone describes it as such:

"What will it sound like?

Quite different actually....the FD2 gets much more dynamic, a little brighter and a lot less compressed, more articulate, more amp-like, with more of the strings coming through....very nice!"

jcbranam

I was about ready to sell my FD2 for the same reasons then I tried it at 18v. I love it now. I also stay away from vintage mode and use it mostly in FM. Try this before getting rid of it. You may like it.

LuckyBlackCat

If it's not your sound, it's not your sound, but it's supposed to sound a lot different than your Timmy. It's got the typical Tube Screamer mid hump whereas the Timmy is more transparent. It is a pretty dark pedal, all around. I keep my tone control between noon and 3:00 in Vintage mode.

You can try 18 volts, which will be "clearer" and less compressed, with less distortion. That might reduce the muffle as you call it. If you have a power supply like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2, you can get a cable to combine two 9V outputs to one 18V output. Otherwise you'll need to buy an 18V wall wart adapter.

bluesky636

I don't find my FD2M to be muffled at all. My tone knob is set at 11:00 as is the gain control. I use Vintage and MOSFET settings. I also run at 18 volts. Very smooth with clear highs on either my Strat (with Fender SCNs) or my humbucker equipped guitars.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
with all due respect....i think it's your amp, not the pedal.

gtrnstuff

The amp does make a big dif, some of my amps like the FDII better than others. And it's not a strident OD ever, but if the amp is crunching a bit and sort of bright on its own, the FD can be just the ticket. Where a TS808 would sound to toppy, the FDII can be just right.
This kind of stuff doesn't always show up until I'm trying to fit into a recorded band track.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I can't imagine an instance where the newer (mosfet) FD2s coud be called "muffled." Are you playing a bass thru a Marshall Super bass or something?
:p

wragen22

Ok, went back and really evaluated both pedals. I think the one comment was right about the compressed tone of the FDII. Two different pedals. I actually started to appreciate the FDII and even second guess selling it..

I don't find my FD2M to be muffled at all. My tone knob is set at 11:00 as is the gain control. I use Vintage and MOSFET settings. I also run at 18 volts. Very smooth with clear highs on either my Strat (with Fender SCNs) or my humbucker equipped guitars.
this is exactly how i run mine, and its fantastic into my DRRI, using a tele or HB guitars. no muffles at all.

Mickey64

I've had several versions of this pedal since the late 90's, and all of them to me sound very smooth and quite dark in the boost mode. I can get the normal side to sound fairly open and transparent, but definitely not the boost side. I still own the 10th anniversary mosfet version, but it's one pedal I rarely use, for this very reason. I prefer the more natural tone of my Xotic BB/RC combo or KOT. However, I think Mike Fuller prefers that smooth and compressed tone, judging from his demos.

sick1982

I had the same issue with the OCD: muffled.
IMHO they are designed for bright setups; while I have a bass heavy setup.

Trending Topics