FDII MOSFET Standard Setting

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ParaGuitarMedic, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ParaGuitarMedic

ParaGuitarMedic Member

Hey all, my first thread on here.

Question, does the "Standard" setting on the FDII Mosft 10th Anv.
    sound like a regular FDII. I ask because it has been my experience that many "two in one pedals" or "factory modded" pedals don't do their original predecessors justice. Is this the case with the fulltone? I really love the sound of the FDII standard (with the toggle) but I have the opportunity to get a Mosfet edition for a good price. Any pearls of wisdom? Any current or former mosfet users?

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

sounds the same to me.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Same here.
    Jump on the FD10th if you can.

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

A look at the innards would have me believe that its the same pedal and all of the MOSFET circuitry is grouped next to the toggle that switches to it.

Standard sounds the same as the Blue.

5. stratlad

stratlad Member

I just this week got a standard FDII, used it for a day and decided to updgrade to the MOSFET. The FDII was ok but didn't wow me. I read that the MOSFET mode offered more high end, bite and openness so decided to return the standard FDII and go MOSFET. I'm glad I did (I'm also glad I got a power adapter to go with it which I think improves the tone). I'm not a real overdrive connossieur, but this pedal sounds great and has a lot of variation. I think the addition of the MOSFET feature is worth the extra$; the tone is thick and spanky at the same time. One caution - i think this pedal is really voiced for blues players (which I am). If you liked the FDII, I think you'll prefer the MOSFET.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have six versions of the Fulldrive 2 including the MOSFET and I must say the MOSFET is the one to get, the one close to that is the TR-100 or that series they are based on. But the FM mode is basically what the TR-100 was, so they have that covered.

TheGrooveking

7. willyboy

willyboy Member

i haven't played the other versions, but i have the anniversary model and never take it out of the mosfet mode - well worth the extra dough. i totally agree with stratlad, and if you like that more open/less compressed sound run it on 18volts - even more killer tones IMO.

DM

8. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I've gotta say that my MOSFET in standard mode could not cop the same low-gain sound as my old blue flat mid version FDII. When I got the MOSFET, I hoped that it would just replace ol' blue, but I actually ended up keeping both of them on the board. Not complaining about that- it was a rather nice setup to have. But the 10th just wouldn't "get it" no matter how much I dialed around.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had two blue FDIIs, the cream custom shop with the 3 way toggle and the MOSFET. To me the standard FM setting on all of them sounds the same.